Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Spark plug change IS250 2006

mikes5

When would you advise to change spark plugs?

70k miles IS250 petrol , engine running smoothly, fantastic car

do i spend £140 +DIY or leave it alone, only do about 5k miles per year

Thanks Mike 

When did you buy the car?have you checked the service history to see if they were changed?they should have been changed during the 60,000 mile service(assuming they are the originals)

have had car since 55k miles, service history not clear if they were replaced, the box was ticked at 30k no indication why. Will check when we come out of isolation and can get home.

Hi Mike it could have been ticked at 30,000 miles,because the car would probably been about 6 years old then and probably done then too,so could have been done slightly earlier(all subjective though). On the hand it might not have been done as it is a big service,had mine done a few years ago along with oil,oil filter,pollen filter for just under £500

Plugs on the 250 are down in the Lexus service schedule at 60,000 / 6 years ( whichever comes first!) we all know that a lot of these cars do well under the avg of 10,000 per annum and this would mean a dealer serviced car would have the plugs swapped out well before they were getting anywhere near worn, mine (2007 car) were done at the 6 year point when the car had 22,000 ! The car is now on 43,000 but I never changed them in 2019 (12 year point) as they would have only been in for 21,000 miles, 

This is the info stored on the Lexus Link app.

image.jpegC

here is a good 'how to' on changing the plugs and I will follow this when I do mine probably at 50,000 which at the current rate of use is going to be in about 2-3 years time!

Edited by Texas

Mine is a 2006 with 40k miles on it ... bought it in 2018 with 25k miles on it - had a full service history on it when i bought it and it had two plug changes !!! I think thats a bit excessive due to the mileage, would have liked to have seen the plugs when they were changed .... i have seen different posts where they have been in for over 100k and changed then and they have been ok...

+1 on reading that the plugs can run with no ill effects upto ( and prob beyond) 100,000 miles and as such they are not on my list of things to worry about, if they were to start failing then it would prob show up as a mis-fire to start with and should'nt cause any major issues if dealt with quickly. 

Brake caliper slide pins ( not an item on the Lexus Service schedule) well, that's something else!

In as much as what has been said I personally won't leave  spark plugs in a car for more than 6 years at the most even if It means that I covers for example 20,000 miles in 6 years(call me whatever,my choice lol)🙂

I had mine changed at service interval 60k and they were still text book colour and condition.

The guy that did it for me joked that I should put them back in and not worry about them.

I’d already spent the money on new denso plugs and his time taking them out so obviously changed them as planned.

I’m bang on 120k this week and going to let them roll for a bit longer...... tempted to take one out and have a peek though.