Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Buying a used CT200h

Hello All

I'm a new member to the site and looking for help and advice?

I'm thinking of buying a CT200h (when the lockdown is over!). I'm currently an owner of a 10 year old Mazda 6 2.2. Loved the car apart from the massive bills that I've collected over the last two years (around 5k!). Basically, I don't do the miles anymore and looking for a smaller car that I can use to commute to work and back (around 30 miles all in) with occasional long distance visits on motorway.

I've been interested in buying a hybrid for a little while but not really attracted to the look of the Prius. Then I found out about the Lexus CT200h...! 

I'm not exactly a speed demon, even though I do like the turbo on the 2.2 that I drive, but I'd soon get used to the drop in performance I reckon. I want to save money on fuel and think hybrid is the way forwards on this.

I've read and watched all the professional reviews of the car and I'm mystified by their reviews. They all seem to praise up the Lexus due to it's reliability and luxury but then hammer it on performance. Reading through other reviews and some posts on this forum I can see that there is obviously a preferred way of driving this car using it's auto gear box. People who have actually bought the car and use it every day seem to say the complete opposite of the professional journalists!

I've got around 10k to spend on a used CT. Is this enough do you think? I just want a car that if I look after it, it will look after me. I've heard so much about the excellent reliability of Lexus and the customer service - is this really true? With all my cars (including my current Mazda) they seem to always be in the garage having some repair or problem. I guess I've been unlucky with picking my cars!

I've seen some 2012/13 plates with around 50-60k on the clock for around 9-10 grand. Is there any advice anyone could offer me, what things to look for etc before buying. I guess a full Lexus service history is the main thing. Do the batteries last or do they need to be replaced at some point?

At the end of the day I want the car to last me around 5 years. My only concern, if you can call it that, is that I'm spending around 10 grand on a car which could be around 7/8 years old with potentially 50k + on the clock. 

Any help or advice would be really appreciated before I take the leap! 🙂

Guess, like all cars, a test drive is the first thing to do. Dealers, normally, will lend you a demonstrator for weekend. (Both Toyota & Lexus in my experience)

The car takes a little while to get used to, if you've never experienced the CVT system. Like all cars, they have good and bad points, but if you're looking for reliability...

Toyota have a good  range of Hybrid cars to test drive, if the CT does not seem right for you.

If you can find one within your budget or just stretch it a teeny bit, I would suggest you go for the facelift model (2014+) as there were a number of improvements made, such as less harsh suspension, newer infotainment system as well as slightly more modern looks, especially the front bumper which I personally think looks miles better than the pre-facelift version.

If the car is looked after then it should definitely give you the 5 years you are looking for, if not more. Toyota/Lexus bulletproof reliability extends to their hybrid system which has now been around for over 20 years, the system is solid! We have a 2007 Prius in the family with over 130,000 miles that is still going strong with no repairs needed at all other than routine maintenance. 

If the CT for the age you are looking for is out of your price range then look at the Toyota Auris hybrid. It is the same car just with different body panels and interior - and rear suspension that is better than the Lexus. Not as luxurious as the CT but cheaper.

Hi guys, thanks for having me in the owners club, I've put myself in as owning a ct200h but as the original thread starter I'm looking at buying a ct200 but have some questions as I've done the same as he has done in looking at the reviews and relavent  videos on YouTube too and I've even asked a couple of owners along the way! , My questions are 1, servicing, does it need to go to a Lexus garage because of the hybrid system. 2, the actual cost for servicing, 3, can you get a service package to cover both engine and hybrid system and 4, MOT can you take the car to a normal MOT station for this and if not how come, this might be a lot to ask in one go but I'm more than interested in this car but this is a once only deal for me and I need to know that I'm spending my money wisely as I've never spent the amount of money I'll be spending on any of my other cars before it, as I currently drive a 2010 honda civic 1.4 si which I really do like a lot. Thanks for your time Andyc

• Like 1

Thank you for all of your advice, it's very much appreciated

I have indeed checked out the 2014+ version and can now see the difference, thank you for this.

I've found a couple of cars that are just above my budget but they're currently for sale from Lexus themselves. I think tweaking the budget in order to buy one from a dealer is probably the way to go. I've had a look at what you get in return for buying directly from a Lexus dealership and it's definitely peace of mind. 

Agreed, a test drive is the next step once this lockdown is over. Would be good to give one of the cars a good test over a weekend too

I did have some more questions regards the service packages but Andrew beat me to it 🙂

Just seen the latest AutoExpress Driver Power Survey and Lexus are again near the top with the CT200 at number 4. Excellent news!

Hi Andrew

You don't need to go to Lexus for servicing. If anything needed doing to the hybrid system I'd take it there but for anything else an independent should be able to do it.

Lexus are expensive for servicing. Lexus GB set the pricing so you won't find too much discounting from the dealers - the prices are all available on the website. 

https://www.lexus.co.uk/owners/servicing-and-maintenance/vehicle-service/#pricing

542863865_Screenshot2020-04-18at16_26_40.thumb.png.4d75820c4281eb8d3615a5813dfe1144.png

If the vehicle is over 5 years old then you can get essentials servicing which is a slightly cut down schedule and cheaper labour to keep people of older vehicles still using the main dealers.

With either you get the hybrid health check included which provides warranty on the hybrid Battery for 12 months. If you get your vehicle serviced at an independent you can still get the hybrid check done but will cost you £59. Note this only covers the Battery, not the hybrid inverter, motor etc. but all very reliable.

You can get a service plan from your Lexus dealer - you don't really save anything other than the price is locked in for the duration and you can pay monthly. Normally the plans are either 2 or 3 service and depending on what service you require next would be minor, major, minor or major, minor, major.

Any MOT centre can carry out the test. They don't bother testing emissions on a hybrid which is the only thing that is different.

If you get the Lexus extended warranty (2 years for a CT is £495), you get roadside assistance and MOT testing built into the price. The T&Cs of the warranty insist that you service your vehicle at a Lexus dealership.

Hi Colin, thanks for the info it's been informative, I've been getting contrasting information from different people about the costs, still a bit dubious about the life of the older cars hybrid Battery as some say they only last ten years and a new one will cost around five grand !!!!!!! But information from the horse's mouth let's say is better than hear say, will discuss further with the bank ( the missus ) to see how things progress and thanks again for the reply..

There are very few Toyota/Lexus hybrids that have needed a replacement Battery - certain on the Prius/Auris/CT. Most replacements have been due to water flooding damage or rear end collisions.

Toyota are also confident - if you get the hybrid health check they will warrant the Battery until it is 15 years old. If they only lasted 10 they wouldn't to that.

Even if the Battery does fail, it is normally a cell or two rather than the whole Battery and independent repairers will charge less than £1000 to fix.

Thanks again Colin, I'd even looked at getting a replacement hybrid Battery if the worst came to the worst off eBay and the dearest was £895.00 fully tested but as in all things you just don't know, again will mention this to the bank as she's got a say in this too, so it's time to sit down and have a grown up conversation eh cheers again Andyc.

When getting the CT last year from my local dealership at Lexus Birmingham - I decided to go for the monthly service plan for 3yrs at less than £30 per month DD. Takes the hassle out of things. Dealership experience so far has been excellent. As other folk have said - don't worry about the hybrid Battery - Toyota/Lexus know what they are doing. 

My wife needs convincing to drive it still - just because she doesn't like autos! Good luck mate and of course we all look forward to some pics!!!👍

Kish

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links