Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Trying to start after 1 year !

GS300 has been in storage for around a year and now i need to move it.

Charged the Battery for 24 hrs and replaced the fob Battery also so as to disable immobilizer.

But wont start,keeps trying but after 5/10 mins of trying eventually voltage drops low and the loud clicking sound starts.

Any tips on what i might need to do to get it started? There are engine and oil lights on as i would expect but there is fuel.

Nothing wrong with the Battery if it will churn the engine for 10 minutes - but don't do it - it will do the Battery and starter motor no good at all. If it doesn't start within 1 minute of churning, it's not going to. Recharge the Battery.  Possibly your injectors are gummed up.

From here, I would buy a can of Bradex Easy Start if you can find somewhere open selling it - some garages will) and inject it into the air intake, preferably beyond the air flow meter. If your sparks are OK, the engine will start - maybe it will only run very briefly. Try about 5 times - with  a bit of luck action in the cylinders will unblock the injectors and it will run OK or at least sort of. If it doesn't you may need to remove the injectors and get them cleaned. If it runs roughly get some fuel treatment/injector cleaner - probably do that anyway.

You may have no sparks - check by removing a plug and see if it sparks out of the engine.

But if it runs get rid of the old fuel, either by driving or draining and put fresh fuel in - a full tank full. If you are going to store again for a long period, buy some fuel stabiliser (Try Sta-Bil - get it on eBay) and drive a short way with it in the fuel.

• Like 1

Not sure if the GS is the same but the LS needs to have the key inserted and turned to the ignition position for around 8 minutes then removed and reinserted to reset the immobiliser.

Generally the car will happily crank over fine but the engine will not fire, another indication is the red security light remains on after inserting the key.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Not sure if the GS is the same but the LS needs to have the key inserted and turned to the ignition position for around 8 minutes then removed and reinserted to reset the immobiliser.

Yes the series II GS is the same. Make sure the immobiliser light goes out, otherwise the engine will just crank and flatten the Battery.

• Thanks 1

Yes the light stays on for a while,i left the key in for 15 mins or so and it was still slowly blinking red. Do i just need to leave it in longer? And turned all the way to the last position before ignition?

1 hour ago, mooks said:

Yes the light stays on for a while,i left the key in for 15 mins or so and it was still slowly blinking red. Do i just need to leave it in longer? And turned all the way to the last position before ignition?

ignition needs to be fully on, leave for at least 6 minutes for the ECU to fully learn the key.

• Thanks 1

My MK2 GS300 had a yellow sticker under the bonnet (on the Battery box I think) giving full details, as described above , for the ECU to read the key after a change,or flat or disconnected battery 

I'd be looking at the immobiliser too. Disconnected the Battery plenty of times and the 6+ minute wait is a pain in the bum.

Obviously make sure everything else is off while you wait with the ignition lights on. So lights, radio, nav screen, air con, fans etc. All off.

On 4/18/2020 at 5:36 PM, steve2006 said:

Generally the car will happily crank over fine but the engine will not fire, another indication is the red security light remains on after inserting the key.

Thanks Steve, same thing happened to my GS300 1999, tried the trick and it worked.

😃

So great news! After another full Battery charge reconnected and put the key in for 8 mins,took out and reinserted and it started immediately with no splutter!

I had forgotten how good it sounds! Thanks for all the advice, worked perfectly!  😃

• 9 months later...

Where would I be without this wonderful Forum and its illustrious Members?  

Thought I'd bu**ered the Car after messing with a poor Battery in tandem. Turned over, but wouldn't start.  Immobiliser light flickering.  Sat in car for more than eight mins with ignition on and light still didn't stop flickering, however when switched back to lock and then turned on - away she fired into life.  What a relief! 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links