Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In HJ recently.....says it all, really.

I understand Bristol were very choosy about who bought their cars. I remember reading a story in the '90's about one of the oasis Gallagher brothers wanting to buy one and Bristol cars point blank refused to sell him one!

5 minutes ago, Malc said:

If you can afford it,then you would be daft to lose it.

Many people have lost more than twice that on the Stock Market in the last month!

12 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Many people have lost more than twice that on the Stock Market in the last month!

hahahahaha, my pension pot for one .....  but hey, it's not real money is it ?   not like buying a car :yes:

we know the stock markets will whizz back up long before that Bentley needs new tyres and at £350 a pop no doubt ................... and being permanently on and off a trailer down to my indy for some niggling crisis or other that will set me back the purchase price again over a year or two

no, I'll admire her on here from afar and imagine I'm in one when next I'm on my way to Sainsbury's for a cauliflower or two

Malc

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Barry14UK said:

What great condition from what we can see.  I wonder how cost of parts would compare with Lexus - I bet the Lexus headlights would be more expensive!

My LED ones are a grand a piece.

• Sad 1

On 4/20/2020 at 12:43 PM, Malc said:

even petrol and diesel cars too .......  so why shouldn't hydrogen fuel cells be used for cars too ?

Japan is doing this to save the electric power being generated from its power stations for other than transport use ...  is that clever I wonder  ?  I really don't know but it seems to me as a layman that it's a right thinking thing to try to achieve

is there a great, or indeed any, advantage of electric vehicles over hydrogen fuel cell cars ?  and buses, vans, HGVs ferries etc 

Malc

I wasn't talking about  a small 12V starter Battery, they have quite big Lion batteries too. to assist the fuel cell.

On 4/20/2020 at 12:43 PM, Malc said:

even petrol and diesel cars too .......  so why shouldn't hydrogen fuel cells be used for cars too ?

Japan is doing this to save the electric power being generated from its power stations for other than transport use ...  is that clever I wonder  ?  I really don't know but it seems to me as a layman that it's a right thinking thing to try to achieve

is there a great, or indeed any, advantage of electric vehicles over hydrogen fuel cell cars ?  and buses, vans, HGVs ferries etc 

Malc

Malc the reason Japan is not using electric is because of a little problem called a Tsunami which wiped out their Nuclear power generation capacity, so a layman might conclude they need an alternative.  Hydrogen tanks are under massive pressure so.....very expensive for the mass market. 
However there has been a development in another country not sure where, that is/has developed a ‘sponge’ type storage facility for hydrogen, which can store huge quantities of hydrogen in a small area, and could be a game changer. It is in very early development stage. However non of that is going to affect electric car development which , as with problems with hydrogen , is constantly seeking solutions to the problems we have now.

6 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

so a layman might conclude they need an alternative.

maybe Japan as a country thinks that too then  ?

big vehicle usage, large population, island nation ....  oh, yes, a bit like the UK in many many respects

I'm with them all the way tbh

Malc

oh, yes, a bit like the UK in many many respects

Except, we didn’t have a tsunami.....did we ? and we have large base load electric power, in fact we are now producing so much wind and solar power we can’t use it, so not really  a sensible investment methinks,

Roger

14 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

so not really  a sensible investment methinks,

I'm intrigued as to how people without access to easy / or any charging points, no parking at home or close by say, can expect to successfully recharge their EVs 

I park my cars,(  coz I have no other option ) , in the road and would be hard pressed to pop into the local supermarket car park charging point for howsoever long it takes to get a full recharge

whereas I understand the Hydrogen fuel cell charging points would be as simple and effective as filling up with petrol .........  at say a BP petrol station or even a supermarket filling station .....  maybe something like LPG is now around the country ?

I don't know at all BUT what I do know is that I personally at home, along with the several hundred other houses along my ancient Kentish High Street have absolutely zero ability to electric recharge EVs :unsure:

and i think I'm like many many others in the UK with the same situation

Malc

• Like 1

I'm intrigued as to how people without access to easy / or any charging points, no parking at home or close by say, can expect to successfully recharge their EVs 
I park my cars,(  coz I have no other option ) , in the road and would be hard pressed to pop into the local supermarket car park charging point for howsoever long it takes to get a full recharge
whereas I understand the Hydrogen fuel cell charging points would be as simple and effective as filling up with petrol .........  at say a BP petrol station or even a supermarket filling station .....  maybe something like LPG is now around the country ?
I don't know at all BUT what I do know is that I personally at home, along with the several hundred other houses along my ancient Kentish High Street have absolutely zero ability to electric recharge EVs unsure.gif
Malc

There are a lot of great roadside charging solutions being designed, and in many cases implemented, right now

From lamp post chargers, to terminals built into the kerb (Oxford City Council ran a trial on this) there’s loads of things coming to make home charging easier. Armadillo and ConnectedKerb are two such companies with products in use now. As time goes on more streamlined, discrete, options suitable for old high streets will be available. Certainly there’s the option to charge at supermarkets, offices, gyms etc springing up everywhere too.

I think there’s a place for both Battery and Hydrogen and I don’t think either is the wrong way to go, but Hydrogen seems less practical than charging a Battery right now.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Malc said:

I don't know at all BUT what I do know is that I personally at home, along with the several hundred other houses along my ancient Kentish High Street have absolutely zero ability to electric recharge EVs :unsure:

Malc

Malc we have had this discussion before, and I give up. Look at all the development going into charging as I said before think for example WiFi type. They are also evaluating solar charging, plus in the road charging, like rail.  However the reality is it will probably not affect you or me, but the reason I doubt ( what do I know except I do read up on these things) hydrogen will become mainstream is cost and it does not matter what you or I think that is not the route we are going in this country.

Yes Police are looking are it for operational requirements, plus buses and hgv’s because they don’t yet have the power or the charging capacity, but mainstream unlikely, unless as I have indicated there is a game changer.
Nobody is disputing you would have a problem charging now, but nothing will become mainstream unless it finds a solution and there would not be the kind of global investment going into electric cars unless they were confident a solution existed.

Roger

There was lot of investment into VHS and Betamax Roger, but they were overtaken by the Digital age.

What if vehicles were constructed of Solar Panels which had the ability to extract and retain and subsequently use stored energy whilst on the move ?

• Like 1

Might be more of a problem to use solar in the winter.  I have pv Solar Panels on my roof and there is a tremendous difference between what these output in summer and winter.  Perhaps a possibility for countries in Africa that enjoy a more constant amount of sunshine?

7 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

There was lot of investment into VHS and Betamax Roger, but they were overtaken by the Digital age.

What if vehicles were constructed of Solar Panels which had the ability to extract and retain and subsequently use stored energy whilst on the move ?

Totally agree there will be all sorts of development, including a mixture of both. There has been talk about using the Battery capacity across the country all standing idle at night as a back up to the national grid. They already have your suggestion in a working model super yacht, but of course all at the moment very expensive, and probably for the next generation.Cheers, Roger

18 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

At the moment solar panels can not produce enough power to charge a large vehicle Battery. The amount of energy from the sun at the equator is 1Kw per Square metre and the most efficient panels are less than 30% efficiency so you would need 300 sqm of panels to charge a Battery in about 1 hr.

• Like 1

On 4/26/2020 at 12:54 PM, RgrWynne said:

oh, yes, a bit like the UK in many many respects

Except, we didn’t have a tsunami.....did we ? and we have large base load electric power, in fact we are now producing so much wind and solar power we can’t use it, so not really  a sensible investment methinks,

Roger

If we are producing that much electricity that we can't use it then why is the UK having to import around 6% of our electricity from France and Holland?

I think it is called timing . We are unbelievably paying wind farms significant sums not to produce , because obviously it only happens when the wind blows. As yet in the uk we cannot store this energy so at times of high demand we import as you rightly point out. One school of thought is in future to use all of the electric vehicle connected to the grid as storage capacity for the grid. There are obviously other solutions planned , but one serious side affect they have found is vulnerability to hacking because electric cars when charging use the internet and it is a way in for foreign intruders to hack the system, and once in can cause havoc. That weakness is being seriously looked at. 

1 hour ago, RgrWynne said:

because electric cars when charging use the internet and it is a way in for foreign intruders to hack the system, and once in can cause havoc.

can't see that happening with Hydrogen fuel refuelling at  BP and other petrol stations tbh ..........  another good reason to find the sensible alternative to EV and possible Chinese, amazon and Apple  world domination aspirations :wink3:

Malc

Malc I would totally agree with you if you can find a solution to who is going to fund all of the infrastructure . The reason Japan are spending the money is because they are vulnerable to earthquakes ... we aren’t, they have had a Tsunami ....we haven’t and they have had a major source of nuclear power wrecked.... we haven’t.

You cannot just ignore economics, plus all the global priority is going into EV. Japan are really the only serious developer of Hydrogen Vehicles for the above reasons and there is no plan for the UK to match them unless you are aware of some magic money tree.