Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I was so bored today I cleaned the engine bay of my LS600h ...

1 hour ago, jpjsavage said:

Well, all of it that I could see. I was quite pleased with the result and it only took me about 3 mins. 

20200419-160749.jpg

Where? Where's the engine bay? Under that plastic? :wink:

1 hour ago, Howplum said:

Well done. I think mine might take a bit longer!:

P1090120.thumb.JPG.1326a631f776ecc4120ae39a5c0d3255.JPGP1090121.thumb.JPG.a9ebeafc91d78493698a8cc61f5e6e37.JPGP1090122.thumb.JPG.b8af15e1f579e984d99b7ea983bfb811.JPG

My GS300 looked similar up until a couple of days ago. Like Jonathan I got a bit bored too but I covered the Battery, sprayed some Halfords aerosol degreaser around, started the engine, rinsed with a hosepipe a then just a liberal spray with the AG Vinyl and Rubber Care stuff. Looks great! 

57 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Where? Where's the engine bay? Under that plastic? :wink:

My GS300 looked similar up until a couple of days ago. Like Jonathan I got a bit bored too but I covered the battery, sprayed some Halfords aerosol degreaser around, started the engine, rinsed with a hosepipe a then just a liberal spray with the AG Vinyl and Rubber Care stuff. Looks great! 

Those covers are the only bit of the engine I'm ever going to touch! I know my limits. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Detailing.....the best therapy ever....nothing quite like polishing your nuts! 😀

59D86694-1E30-4282-91F5-5ECCC39F2DC5.jpeg

I find it extremely therapeutic. 

On 4/19/2020 at 6:46 PM, Howplum said:

Do you have pictures, @rich1068, for inspiration purposes?

I'm not exaggerating when I say my 2JZ looked much like your 1UZ. I covered the Battery and sprayed with this. Left it a couple of minutes, started the engine and rinsed with a spray from the hosepipe. Left it running for a few minutes to heat up then turned off and sprayed with this. From the AG website "Vinyl & Rubber Care is also excellent at transforming your engine. After cleaning with Engine & Machine Cleaner, spray over a wet engine and leave to dry."

Results

IMG_20200420_185004.jpg

Apart from a quick wipe over after a service I have never cleaned under the bonnet before.

• Like 1

I'm remembering my car sales days that you just NEVER ever hosed anything in the engine bay area with water at any time ever ....  electrics in those days were just so vulnerable .....  but of course that might have all changed and getting water into some of this fragile electronic and electrical modern day stuff is quite ok :unsure:

Malc

It's still not OK Malc, you just have to use some sense I suppose. Engine running, already warm so it dries quickly and not much more than a spray similar to a garden sprinkler. Keep it moving, don't do it for too long and avoid directly spraying the sparky bits :biggrin:

You see some using jet washers or steam cleaners. I'd certainly never do that.

"You can't clean the car! It'll lose all it's character"
"It's only the stubborn understains that are holding it together."

Only slightly modified quotes from The Young Ones :laughing:

• Like 1

Have to say this will probably be the one and only time I do this. I do enjoy cleaning the car but under the bonnet has always been a bit out of sight, out of mind.

Of  all the cars I ever owned my 2015 LS460 SE L  gave me the most pleasure when I would show off the engine bay and surprise onlookers as to how neat and tidy Lexus made the engine bay area.   I am freakish about clean engine bays and when I first encountered the under bonnet look of the LS I was so pleased.  Talk about 2 minutes with a quick detailing spray and the job was done.    I now have a new ES300h  and there is no comparison of course, so much exposed pipework where dirt gathers,   it takes me an age to clean.  I really miss the LS but things move on and I think the ES hybrid is so good.   I never did have the courage to consider the LS600h only because my knowledge of hybrids was zero back in 2015 when I was looking for a LS.   

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links