Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I currently use an IS200 which is a superb car. I am considering buying the old model (2007 type) GS450H as an updrage replacement

Ive read about the current epidemic of catalytic converter theft in hybrid lexus cars, which is making me hesitate

Anyone has this nightmarish experience with their GS car or able to advise please

Kind regards

Baba

Not heard of any members affected here with their GS450h.

If you are going to steal a cat, surely you would do it on the youngest vehicle you can find? Even as a hybrid, the cat isn't going to be in great condition on a 2007 GS450h. The vehicle sits low as well, much easier to remove the cat on an SUV.

The value of a cat isn't to reuse it - it depends on the amount of precious metals it contains - eg Rhodium and Palladium. Earler hybrids (eg original Prius models) had more precious metals than they do now. The cat on a Prius is particularly easy to cut off as it is on SUV hybrids. It's rather harder on a GS but not impossible and of course you get several for the price of one on a GS450h (how many cats do they have?). So far we haven't seen reports on here of cats being stolen but it might be just a matter of time.

There are far fewer GS's on the road vs other models, so the chances of GS cat thefts are lower?

The taller RX has more ground clearance so is an easier target.

Having said that we've seen vids of cats being removed from CT's using a jack in broad day light #brazen

8 hours ago, johnatg said:

The value of a cat isn't to reuse it - it depends on the amount of precious metals it contains - eg Rhodium and Palladium. Earler hybrids (eg original Prius models) had more precious metals than they do now.

The amount of precious metals you can recover diminishes with use, hybrids are targeted because they use the cat less as a percentage of time compared to a normal vehicle due to some running on electric.

Not sure it is 100% true that the early hybrids had more dense cats, all OEM ones are typically more dense then aftermarket, but it is something thieves believe so it another reason why hybrids are targeted - although Prius III models seem to be affected just as much as Prius II ones.