Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

This may be of interest - taken from information on the RAC web site. Whats the shelf life of petrol / diesel?

Probably not as long as you think. Once you’ve put fuel in a jerry can or other container you only have a few months before the quality starts to fall away – even less if the fuel is contaminated in any way. Generally speaking, petrol has a shelf-life of six months if stored in a sealed container at 20 degrees – or just three months if kept at 30 degrees. The more it's exposed to heat, the more quickly it will go off. If the container isn’t sealed, you’ll be able to keep it for even less time. As for diesel, it can remain usable for between six and 12 months before becoming ‘gummy’ which, if used, can clog up filters and cause you issues with your engine.

Mine has been off the road since mid March and has been used once a week, current tank level is around approx range of 250 miles. Guess theres a few months to go first before this issue above will need to be taken into account, cant really drive it any long distance to reduce whats in the tank due to the lockdown and should think the lockdown would be lifted soon, certainly before the above needs to be considered.

I guess fuel stations will be ticking over slowly with people still using them at the moment, not sure on how much their tanks would hold from the point of view of shelf life on how often they are filled - do they check their fuels for effectiveness?

• Like 1