Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Extended Warranty. Yes or No???

Never had a warranty on any Lexus. They've all been fine 

I think I saved about £6-8k over the years from not buying warranties. The RX doesn't have any common issues. 

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 6:55 PM, rayaans said:

I think I saved about £6-8k over the years from not buying warranties. The RX doesn't have any common issues. 

But a water pump failure is over a grand and my car has recently had one (whilst on the dealers forecourt prior to my purchase). The 2nd low mileage Lexus out of 4  owned in 4 years to require one. 

11 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

But a water pump failure is over a grand and my car has recently had one (whilst on the dealers forecourt prior to my purchase). The 2nd low mileage Lexus out of 4  owned in 4 years to require one. 

I think it does depend on how much you value peace of mind. Personally I think the cost is small relatively, but that by nature does indicate a low claim rate. It is just you don’t want to be the one who gets caught out. I think another point for me would be as your car is serviced by a main dealer , we all are aware they are expensive. If you have a warranty you really are not bothered how much the cost is plus you don’t have the aggro of finding a cheaper quote. The roadside assistance, is also included, but if you breakdown (unlikely) you just let the dealer repair it, wherever that may be. That is my view, cheers, Roger

Well from what I have read Lexus cars are generally as, if not more reliable than any others on the road but surveys have also shown that when something major goes wrong are among the most expensive to repair.  If you don't have warranty cover (which is just a form of insurance) it therefore makes sense to me to put a sum aside for repairs.  I have never had an extended warranty on any of my cars over many years of driving. Certainly, I have had problems from time to time but overall must have saved a lot and that includes running the much maligned BMW !  I take a similar view with domestic appliances even Medical Insurance.  Some medical treatment abroad did cost me but probably less than premiums which would not have covered the specialized treatment anyway.  I have stopped at carrying my risk on the house though LOL! 

A lot depends on your attitude towards risk and ability to put aside for possible need. 

I think the extended warranty from Lexus is worth while, I've had it on my old RX400h and did use it once. I'm about to buy a RX450h SE-L that is 9.5 years old and 112k on it. It has a full lexus history so i'm eligable to buy it. I like the peace of mind that comes with and also the service plan is good value for money.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 6:55 PM, rayaans said:

In the olden days when I could work on cars I never bothered. In more recent times I was buying used cars every 9 or 14months  after 25to 30,000 miles and then trading them. This meant I always had a car either under new car warranty or approved used car warranty that came with the vehicle when I bought it.  Financially this worked for me as I avoided big services and rarely bought tyres or brakes. 

Since having more expensive Lexus I prefer the peace of mind of the warranty. On my last car I paid monthly when the dealer warranty expired. Never claimed and was pleasantly surprised when I had a refund of over £400 when sold.