Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The big clap

Now I am a cynical old s*d, and have a few number of friends in NHS (both high up in management, and down on the shop floor), and before I was laid up in hospital we all were saying, 'stuff the clap", what the NHS needs is to stop being starved of cash/resource.

Anyway while in hospital recovering from Covid-19 and heart attack several of the nurses said that they were really touched by the clapping.  As there is little industrial noise, one said she was over 1 mile from the centre of Gloucester and she could hear it clearly.

So old cynic converted, and totally stand behind the work the doctors, nurses, cleaners and so on are doing.

So having been told to take it easy by the nurses, I am nearly ready to go see how my LS is doing, as it has been sat idle for 6 weeks, so will probably need to whip Battery out and re-charge.

Am looking forward to when I can have enough energy to do some of the smaller jobs, as I am likely to only be working part time once work re-opens.

Sure as heck looking forward at some point in about 2 months to be taking the beast for a drive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Pleased that you continue on your journey along recovery road Pete.

In all of my experience Pete the people who have worked, or are working at the Coal Face are the ones who have the most insight to offer.

The higher up the hierarchy one goes , then generally more peripheral the knowledge.   

Glad yer on the road to recovery Pete 🙂

The NHS staff, and those doing risky essential work deserve that applause.
They also deserve better funding.
I find it a little hypocritical that people are applauding now, but in our recent election those same people once again voted in the Party of Austerity.
The party who have cut the NHS to pieces since they got in power in 2010.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, BigBoomer said:

Glad yer on the road to recovery Pete 🙂

The NHS staff, and those doing risky essential work deserve that applause.
They also deserve better funding.
I find it a little hypocritical that people are applauding now, but in our recent election those same people once again voted in the Party of Austerity.
The party who have cut the NHS to pieces since they got in power in 2010.

Throwing money at a problem George does not always solve a problem.

There is usually more than one way to skin  a cat.

• Thanks 1

In my simple view, the party that decided the way to save the country was to make sure the bankers who ruined the country needed more Lambos and Bentleys while the people who underpin life in the UK could all have a pay cut and sign up for food banks, was eventually going to some unstuck, but was not expecting a pandemic to be the trigger.

While in hospital, had a lot of time to listen to Radio 4 and World Service, quite a few economists saying the Thatcher/Regan model of selfish capitalism is likely to be a victim of Covid-19, we shall have to wait and see if our 'leaders' show compassion when this is all over, or will they tax the heck out of the lower classes to pay for generosity being handed out to the luckier ones (I am going to be furloughed, so feel like one of the lucky ones).

The one thing all my friends who work in the NHS agree on, is too many managers not pulling their weight, so need to make sure we throw money a the right parts, but like any big system the incompetents and sheer naffing lazy will find broom cupboards to hide in. 

We can only hope that the government takes a different tack, and that the spoon faced skin-head Dominic Cummings is marginalised.

'Political rant over'. As you may tell, I am getting better (though I would struggle to throw an MP over a wall onto a quiet motorway!!!!)

• Like 2

whatever the pros and cons of politics and how we are where we are today should NOT in my view be a part of the LOC Forum

Politics is always, and will continue to be totally divisive and cause unfriendliness ............. even here .....  even with quiet unndertones

so if this doesn't stop then I'm going to be outta here  😲

Malc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I agree, the only political topics to be discussed on the LOC should be right wing, left wing and the bonnet in the centre.

As such I have locked this post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3