Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Computer software question

Hello folks,  I have rather a lot of apple files that I wish to convert to Microsoft.

The files that I have are .pages and .numbers files and am wondering if anyone can recommend some reasonably priced software that would do the job.

Many thanks.

Hello ColinBarber, thanks for your reply.  In fact I have never owned a Mac.  These files have been passed to me for a job that needs doing, they were originally created by someone we are no longer in touch with.  i run Microsoft Office on Windows 10 professional.

A quick Google came up with an online converter https://document.online-convert.com/convert/pages-to-word

I've never used it so I don't know if it works (but there are others to try if this one doesn't), but I suppose the other thing to consider is how many pages you have to convert. Some online converters are completely free, others only let you do, say, five pages before you have to pay.

This page https://trendblog.net/convert-apple-pages-microsoft-word/ shows (about half-way down) how to create an iCloud account and then use a proper Mac converter there to convert them.

I'm sure there'll be plenty of converters out there, but choosing a good one could be the problem.

This is one reason why Adobe created the Portable Document Format, or PDF file - it's machine and operating system agnostic so can be used on any machine and any operating system.

I'm not aware of any Windows software that can read those file formats. There are several cloud based services that can covert, both free and paid for, but there is a security risk with using those (do they keep a copy, look at/process the content, embed security vulnerabilities etc.). https://cloudconvert.com has a good reputation.

Happy to convert these for you if you are comfortable with that and the content isn't sensitive. Send me a PM

Thank you chaps, you are all very kind with your offers of help.

I do in fact have an icloud account on my pc.  Before progressing further I will have a look in there and will then get back.

Thanks again.

I have gone into my iCloud Account and I have only a few icons showing, nothing like the number showing in Herbies link.

Hopefully I have manage to attach a screen shot of what I have.  Any thoughts anyone?

iCloud Image 22_04_20.JPG

Many, many, moons ago I had the misfortune to have to use an Iphone 4S and I created an iCloud account at that point.

I literally haven't logged into that account for probably 8 years but, having done it just now, you can see what it looks like below - NB, this is the very first screen I'm presented with Geoff.

Your screenshot looks like you're already beyond that and may be in a settings page. My only idea is that you perhaps have auto login set so that you don't have to login each time? Try signing out and going back in again?

The second screenshot below shows the screen I see if I go to my settings page.

EDIT: These are screenshots when I look at iCloud.com on my Windows 10 desktop machine. If you're logging into iCloud using a tablet or phone, it may well look different so if you are, I'd try again but use a proper Windows computer.

2020-04-22.thumb.png.7e108831d75051d2ffa31e266165293a.png

178971554_2020-04-22(1).thumb.png.0265b190cee1099eea6683ebe063bf5f.png

Hi again, well I have signed out and the logged in again but, i am getting the exact same screen as my screenshot shows. There isn't even an option to go into settings to make any adjustment.

Is it possible that what I have is all I can get using Windows 10. What O/S are you using?

1 hour ago, bluenose1940 said:

Is it possible that what I have is all I can get using Windows 10. What O/S are you using?

No Geoff, iCloud is open to any operating system and I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on this desktop machine.

Can you perhaps click on that picture of the cloud above your email address? Do you see anything if you click on the 'Account Details' button?

Failing that, I'll let someone else take over who is more familiar with iCloud because I don't use it.

Just a thought - you are using a browser and going to https://www.icloud.com/ are you, rather than using an iCloud app? Try clicking on that link to see what happens.

Herbs, you are an absolute GEM👍

The last line in your last post solved it.  I now have the full set of icons and so will now give the conversions a go.

A million thanks.

Thanks too to ColinBarber and OldTrout for the help offered, as always it's very much appreciated.

• Like 1