Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Alternative to OEM oil filter

Surebet

My car is due for oil and filter change, can source oil easy enough however as all dealerships are closed due to Covid 19 , I'm unable to purchase the OEM Toyota filter required.

I have always stuck to Toyota oil filters, when changing the oil. Other filters are available via internet or Eurocarparts, has anyone used alternative oil filters and found them ok. Also as a matter of interest whats the general opinion on make of oil to use ( 5w-30 fully synthetic). 2012 IS250 covering approximately 3000 miles a year. Look forward to all opinions.

The IS250 had its oil revised in 2010 or thereabouts from 5/30 to 0/20,have you tried the bay for Toyota oil filters?I would think other oil filters are as good and shouldn't be a problem 

Hi as stated I use 0/20 fully synthetic oil in my IS 250 I use Opie Oils linked on this site ,they will sell a kit 7 litres of oil and a filter .Have used them for the last 5 years with no problems excellent service good choice of oils ,I use the shell ,change every 6000 miles no problem recommending this company 

Stay safe Dave

On 4/24/2020 at 7:39 PM, scudney said:

The IS250 had its oil revised in 2010 or thereabouts from 5/30 to 0/20,have you tried the bay for Toyota oil filters?I would think other oil filters are as good and shouldn't be a problem 

You say recommended oil was changed from 5w/30 to 0w/20 in about 2010, but is this for 2010 cars onwards and pre 2010 still use 5w/30 ? And what was the reason for the change? Was it emissions/fuel consumption reasons?

reason I ask is when I put my reg (2007 car) in Opie Oils search box it only comes back with 5w/30 oils. Also if I search for a 2012 IS250 it still comes back as 5w/30.

paul m

On 4/24/2020 at 7:39 PM, scudney said:

There are lots of YouTube videos about using different oil filters. I saw one a few years ago ( Sod’s law can’t locate now) comparing denso/Toyota with other brands and if you saw that you would never consider alternatives. If you factor in the cost of the filter versus the potential problems, why would you even consider an alternative. That is my view , cheers, Roger

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links