Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hourly labour charges

Herbie

Does anyone have any proof (such as an invoice for work done or maybe a link to a website) of the hourly labour charges at Lexus main dealer workshops?

I'm not talking about servicing because that's either done on a flat-rate basis or a service plan. I'm talking about just a random fault or problem but instead of going to a local garage to get it sorted, you went to a main dealer instead.

I'm sure that I read somewhere in these forums that Lexus charge around £130 per hour, but having told this to someone who doesn't believe it I'd like to back up my statement with proof and of course, now that I want that info I can't find it anywhere  :wallbash:

I'm aware that there will be regional variations but I don't think that'll matter in this context.

why not just call and ask ?

I had heard it was @ £180 an hour, maybe incl the VAT though ..  a snip ....................  my indy charges an extortionate @£40 an hour or so :thumbsup:

Malc

12 minutes ago, Malc said:

why not just call and ask ?

I had heard it was @ £180 an hour, maybe incl the VAT though ..  a snip ....................  my indy charges an extortionate @£40 an hour or so :thumbsup:

Malc

Because they are closed due to the virus crisis. Plus, that wouldn't give me tangible proof to show to this guy anyway.

5 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Dealerships should be responding to emails? They could then email you proof?

Good point, so yes, I'll give that a go, cheers Peter.

However, it's Saturday afternoon and even if it works then I won't get a reply until Monday and I was hoping for something sooner 🙂

It would also be interesting to learn whether Lexus charge by the hour or if you wanted a job done that took them 25 mins whether they would say charge for half an hour minimum or for say an hour and a half if the job took 80 mins. I must say that when Lexus Cheltenham serviced my car last year they made no additional charge for custom reprogramming a couple of things I asked to be done at the same time.  If I had gone to them just to have this done I am pretty sure they would have charged for the job.  Another aspect is whether being a 'Gold Member' might affect the going rate.  I think it unlikely that for non standard work all Lexus dealerships would charge a set rate regardless of location.  Other 'Premium' car manufactures also charge an eye watering amount!

I seem to recall that Mercedes Benz techs got bonuses for completing jobs more quickly than the official book time.

An example, I needed both engine mounts replacing on my CLS55, book time for the job was 4hrs. The actual time taken was 45min for the moment the car was on the ramp! Techs learn quicker ways to access things. I wouldn't call it a shortcut, as that implies shoddy workmanship, just a more efficient method.

Does this help?

20200425_162005.thumb.jpg.eea7f3217d9bddfac5846a744b1cb498.jpg

As you can see, I was charged half an hour of labour to investigate my juddering brakes.

So, if you extrapolate that to a full hour and add VAT, it comes to £186.

• Thanks 1

This thread shows £ 100 + VAT. It is a service invoice but the labour rate should be fixed, they adjust the quantity and overprice oil to get to the fixed service figure.

https://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/123038-service/

Rates will vary across the country due to overhead costs being different (wages, rent etc.).

• Thanks 1

so there we are then, a mere paltry £186 an hour incl VAT .....  wow, that's a steal  !!  ......  but not sure who for though :unsure:

just don't let the indys working on our cars get wind of this eh !

Malc

9 hours ago, holiday said:

I thinks it’s a fact that if you have extended warranty the hour rates don’t really matter as they just diagnose the fault free of cost. 

True but several things aren't covered under warranty so you still have to consider labour rates.

12 hours ago, holiday said:

I thinks it’s a fact that if you have extended warranty the hour rates don’t really matter as they just diagnose the fault free of cost. 

Except when the fault is not deemed to be inside your warranty, so you have to pay the investigation charge.  So, like it my case above, since you won't know if the warranty will cover it or not until afterwards, I had to pay the half an hour.

• Sad 1