Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Weird line down the side of the Lexus door

Hey Everyone,
I was wondering if any of you are having the same issue that I am having with my IS? I seem to have this line under my mirrors that stains the paintwork. (I have also noticed it on my parents Lexus models too - 2019 CT 200h & IS 300h) Instead of uploading a few pics and clips of me trying to get it off, I have created this short video demonstrating my issue.
Would be interested to know if anyone else has this problem? Thomas 🙂

I also get this on my GS and my missus does as well on her Mazda 3.

I always assumed it was just water that had collected inside the housing that was dribbling out afterwards and drying.

It is a little annoying, especially considering the car would be nice and clean after a wash, but I doubt there is an easy solution, so will probably just have to live it with.

Normally just water that collects in the mirror when washing - worse if you are in a hard water area as it may stain - go for a drive after washing or if you have an air compressor, blow it out.

If it is not just a hard water stain then possibly too much grease/WD40 etc been put in the mirror pivot area to make sure it works smoothly and doesn't freeze up when the temp. drops below freezing. Clean out with degreaser.

Make sure the doors are sealed with a good wax, so that it can be wiped off rather than staining.

Having watched Thomas’s video (very professional by the way) I heard him mention that aluminium is used in the mirror.

A bit of reading revealed that when aluminium is exposed to air it corrodes to form aluminium oxide which will then be washed out of the mirror during rain or washing the car, This report suggests that the product can cause damage to paintwork.

Aluminum oxide

Collision guru Toby Chess (Kent Automotive) also wrote in to point out another form of corrosion, aluminum oxide, also will be a problem for collision repairers.

“Another very important corrosion on aluminum that occurs naturally is Aluminum oxide,” he wrote. “Bare aluminum exposed to moisture and oxygen forms a hard protective coating (Al2O3).  This compound will cause porosity in your welds, and paint, adhesives and body filler do not like to stick to it.  It needs to be removed prior to working on aluminum.”

Repairers need to move quickly once aluminum oxide has been removed from a substrate. It bounces back quickly.

“An oxide film forms on an aluminum alloy within a matter of minutes when the base metal is exposed to the air,” Toyota, for example, has written of a Prius’ aluminum hood. “This oxide film has a negative effect on putty and paint adhesion, so it is important to immediately treat the base metal after sanding and degreasing.”