Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

MM17 MEU Navigation Software version 1540 released

Another one of my alerts regarding a new software update.

A new version of software for the MEU (Multimedia Extension Unit) has been released for the MM17 Premium Navigation system.  This is the newer widescreen system fitted to many NX vehicles from late 2017 onwards.  The new software version is 1540 and is simply called Navigation on the software update screen in your car.

It mostly contains bug fixes.  The main one being that street names can now be displayed at the bottom of the screen at all times, not just during navigation.  This is a bug I'd certainly noticed when I first took delivery of my NX back in Aug 2018.

This update does not contain new mapping data - new maps are released separately.  The latest maps are 2019 v2 although 2020 v1 is due anytime soon.

Note: if you have a very new vehicle that already has apple CarPlay installed, please see the FAQ below.

FAQ:

How do I get the upgrade?

The upgrade is available from the Lexus Tech website - you will need to create an account (free) to access but you will need a subscription (paid) to download the necessary files.

Once logged in, click on Repair then select 'Technical Service Bulletin' under payable access.  The search for NX300h under model.

The required listing should come near the top if you are searching close to the date I wrote this.

TSBListing.thumb.png.24dd2906b8d566431c11ebbc85db1cc8.png

Does this apply to other vehicles?

According to the TSB it may apply to the following models in addition to the NX: ES, LC, LS, RC, UX.

As I only have experience with carrying out updates on my NX I can't comment on other models.  I would advise that you check the details carefully, especially the Model ID codes shown on the Software Update section of your media system.

How much will it cost to download the files?

An hours access to the site will cost €3.63 (about £3.20 at current exchange rates).  Depending on your bank you may get charged a fee for the currency conversion.

Why do I have to pay?

I don't know - I don't run the site.  A dealer may carry out the install for you free of charge during a routing service.  All you can do is ask.

How big is the download?

About 1.5GB

How do I install?

The download will arrive as a ZIP file.  Inside this will be a .KWI file (in this case 17LML2EU-FB00_1540.kwi).  Copy this to a blank USB Flash Drive - note it must be formatted as FAT32.

Insert the USB drive into the port in your car (remove any others).  Go to the software update screen and it should be detected and give you the option to update.  This particular update takes about 20 minutes and requires that the system/engine is powered up at all times.

beforeUpdate.thumb.jpg.a2041d15637d4090a343573fa77ecec7.jpg

What about the maps?

These are updated separately - you can check the current version available on the same site by clicked 'Owner' then 'Map and Software Updates'.  Click the 'More Info' button in the MM17 section to see the latest version available (2019 v2 at time of writing).  You may be entitled to a free update due to the 'mapcare' program.  2020 v2 should be released very soon (2019 v1 was released end of April 2019)

What about the DCU / Audio software?

The Display Control Unit software controls the Audio side of your media system.  The current version of this software is 1435.  This can also be found on the tech website in the same place - it is dated 19/09/2019.  Personally I'm hoping they update this soon - I'm constantly annoyed that music files don't play in track number order but instead in alphabetical order.  I have reported this to Lexus UK but they tell me that this is how the system was designed!

TSBListing(DCU).thumb.png.91ab70d3f884ce57fdaf695c35aad6fc.png

Do I have to update?

No - if you are happy with the current function of your system and you haven't noticed any bugs or problems then you don't have to.

Are there any risks with the upgrade?

Yes - like any other computer based device there is a small risk that the update could go wrong.  Whilst this has never happened to me I can't be held responsible for any damage caused during any update that you attempt.  If you have any doubts at all please leave it to your dealer.  

I paid £40k for my car I don't see why I should pay £3 to access this file

Then don't - ask your dealer to do it.  They may do it for free.  They may charge for their time.

I really don't want to give Lexus another £3 to access the site - will you send me the files?

No - please don't ask.  The files are behind a paywall.  I'm not going to break any applicable copyright rules.

When is apple CarPlay or Android Auto coming to my car?

Lexus have said in various places that an update for this particular media system should be coming soon - it was initially scheduled for May 2020 but the current climate may delay this.  There is no word yet on whether this will be a free or paid upgrade.  Lexus in Spain have said it will be a free upgrade as part of your next maintenance visit but I've not seen any confirmation from UK yet.  Use Google Chrome to look at the Spanish site then you can use the built-in translate function.

I already have the apple CarPlay or Android Auto functionality

If you have bought a vehicle recently then you may already have the CarPlay functionality.  If this is the case then this update is not for you.  I believe systems with CarPlay are now referred to as MM19.  The latest software version for this system is 1140 but contains the same bug fixes as the version I've already discussed.  Again, if you have any doubt then do not attempt the update.

Why did you post this?

I'm a computer science graduate and work with IT every day - yes I'm a geek.  I know nothing about how the greasy and dirty parts of a car work and I've learned a lot from this site.  Technology is the one area of owning a Lexus where I think I can be of some help.  If just one person finds my posts helpful then it was worth doing.

Hope that helps you out

Phil

• Thanks 7

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

I can read the service bulletins titles but they are not clickable for me. Also not the little red buttons under the service bulletin date. I tried in Chrome and Edge browsers. Can anybody check?

You can’t click on anything unless you have an active subscription. The button you click is quite small - it is under the date at the right hand side. 

• Thanks 1

Ohhh... Should I download any other fixes/updates for my facelifted 2018 F-Sport 300h while I have this one hour subscription? I'm kinda geek as well so want to have all updates....

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/26/2020 at 1:26 PM, pobrown said:

Another one of my alerts regarding a new software update.

A new version of software for the MEU (Multimedia Extension Unit) has been released for the MM17 Premium Navigation system.  This is the newer widescreen system fitted to many NX vehicles from late 2017 onwards.  The new software version is 1540 and is simply called Navigation on the software update screen in your car.

It mostly contains bug fixes.  The main one being that street names can now be displayed at the bottom of the screen at all times, not just during navigation.  This is a bug I'd certainly noticed when I first took delivery of my NX back in Aug 2018.

This update does not contain new mapping data - new maps are released separately.  The latest maps are 2019 v2 although 2020 v1 is due anytime soon.

Note: if you have a very new vehicle that already has Apple CarPlay installed, please see the FAQ below.

FAQ:

How do I get the upgrade?

The upgrade is available from the Lexus Tech website - you will need to create an account (free) to access but you will need a subscription (paid) to download the necessary files.

Once logged in, click on Repair then select 'Technical Service Bulletin' under payable access.  The search for NX300h under model.

The required listing should come near the top if you are searching close to the date I wrote this.

TSBListing.thumb.png.24dd2906b8d566431c11ebbc85db1cc8.png

Does this apply to other vehicles?

According to the TSB it may apply to the following models in addition to the NX: ES, LC, LS, RC, UX.

As I only have experience with carrying out updates on my NX I can't comment on other models.  I would advise that you check the details carefully, especially the Model ID codes shown on the Software Update section of your media system.

How much will it cost to download the files?

An hours access to the site will cost €3.63 (about £3.20 at current exchange rates).  Depending on your bank you may get charged a fee for the currency conversion.

Why do I have to pay?

I don't know - I don't run the site.  A dealer may carry out the install for you free of charge during a routing service.  All you can do is ask.

How big is the download?

About 1.5GB

How do I install?

The download will arrive as a ZIP file.  Inside this will be a .KWI file (in this case 17LML2EU-FB00_1540.kwi).  Copy this to a blank USB Flash Drive - note it must be formatted as FAT32.

Insert the USB drive into the port in your car (remove any others).  Go to the software update screen and it should be detected and give you the option to update.  This particular update takes about 20 minutes and requires that the system/engine is powered up at all times.

beforeUpdate.thumb.jpg.a2041d15637d4090a343573fa77ecec7.jpg

What about the maps?

These are updated separately - you can check the current version available on the same site by clicked 'Owner' then 'Map and Software Updates'.  Click the 'More Info' button in the MM17 section to see the latest version available (2019 v2 at time of writing).  You may be entitled to a free update due to the 'mapcare' program.  2020 v2 should be released very soon (2019 v1 was released end of April 2019)

What about the DCU / Audio software?

The Display Control Unit software controls the Audio side of your media system.  The current version of this software is 1435.  This can also be found on the tech website in the same place - it is dated 19/09/2019.  Personally I'm hoping they update this soon - I'm constantly annoyed that music files don't play in track number order but instead in alphabetical order.  I have reported this to Lexus UK but they tell me that this is how the system was designed!

TSBListing(DCU).thumb.png.91ab70d3f884ce57fdaf695c35aad6fc.png

Do I have to update?

No - if you are happy with the current function of your system and you haven't noticed any bugs or problems then you don't have to.

Are there any risks with the upgrade?

Yes - like any other computer based device there is a small risk that the update could go wrong.  Whilst this has never happened to me I can't be held responsible for any damage caused during any update that you attempt.  If you have any doubts at all please leave it to your dealer.  

I paid £40k for my car I don't see why I should pay £3 to access this file

Then don't - ask your dealer to do it.  They may do it for free.  They may charge for their time.

I really don't want to give Lexus another £3 to access the site - will you send me the files?

No - please don't ask.  The files are behind a paywall.  I'm not going to break any applicable copyright rules.

When is Apple CarPlay or Android Auto coming to my car?

Lexus have said in various places that an update for this particular media system should be coming soon - it was initially scheduled for May 2020 but the current climate may delay this.  There is no word yet on whether this will be a free or paid upgrade.  Lexus in Spain have said it will be a free upgrade as part of your next maintenance visit but I've not seen any confirmation from UK yet.  Use Google Chrome to look at the Spanish site then you can use the built-in translate function.

I already have the Apple CarPlay or Android Auto functionality

If you have bought a vehicle recently then you may already have the CarPlay functionality.  If this is the case then this update is not for you.  I believe systems with CarPlay are now referred to as MM19.  The latest software version for this system is 1140 but contains the same bug fixes as the version I've already discussed.  Again, if you have any doubt then do not attempt the update.

Why did you post this?

I'm a computer science graduate and work with IT every day - yes I'm a geek.  I know nothing about how the greasy and dirty parts of a car work and I've learned a lot from this site.  Technology is the one area of owning a Lexus where I think I can be of some help.  If just one person finds my posts helpful then it was worth doing.

Hope that helps you out

Phil

Hi Phil

Thanks for the MAP and Nav update notice.  Both installed, I do like the Street name visible now on the bottom of the map display.

Question - have you noticed any change to the rear view camera  viewing area after the Nav update?  I have always been able to see the yellow of the rear number plate but now see my chrome bumper protector as well, as if the camera is pointing down a bit more. It might just be my imagination, the sun shining all the time now!

Cheers

Not noticed a difference in my view. 
There are two different views available on mine - maybe you selected the other by accident. 

Button A on this diagram

F806A614-DE45-41DB-B686-D8FADDA0BA6E.thumb.jpeg.ed9c1e5bea99373be7ee7f329e206347.jpeg

Interesting Button A is on the right corner and B on the left on my display!

Toggling the 2 options on A changes the display and/or the predicted wheel path, colours etc.

Car is having its delayed 2nd service soon and I'll have it checked then.

Just been out to check mine. The buttons are swapped on mine to. 
See the photos - one of the views has some of the number plate visible. 

24DD3E63-A2A1-44CE-AECD-24A52942F499.thumb.jpeg.c40d9e974da0fb0d986eda9cadbfdfc3.jpeg

FD6F6E22-4487-401A-93D7-8DAFE0AD5220.thumb.jpeg.ae03a8ece8280387a96ae1338128fc53.jpeg

Thanks for the heads up.  Nav is now 1540 and currently downloading the map update.  Strange that the audio for my ES is still 1010.  This is the current version.

Regards

Peter

The ES and the UX have a slightly different model number for the DCU (Audio) so the software version numbers are also different.  

NX = 17LDL2EU-DB01

UX/ES (large screen) = 17LDL2EU-DB02

UX/ES (small screen) = 17LDLMEU-DB00

1 hour ago, pobrown said:

The ES and the UX have a slightly different model number for the DCU (Audio) so the software version numbers are also different.  

NX = 17LDL2EU-DB01

UX/ES (large screen) = 17LDL2EU-DB02

UX/ES (small screen) = 17LDLMEU-DB00

Version 1010 for the ES large screen hasn’t changed since I picked the car up in September 2019.  You’d think there would be common software across models?

Certainly something strange going on.  

Just noticed that the latest version for my NX is advertised as being 1405 (TSB from Sept 2019).  However I have 1435 installed.  If I download the 'latest' version from the Tech site and look at it it has version number 1435 inside it.  

If I download the file for the ES it looks like the version number inside the file is 1046 (file name: 17LDL2EU-DB02_0027.kwi)

It's almost like a more recent TSB has been edited/deleted from the site (latest TSB for DCU is Sept 2019).  However the links inside a TSB usually download the latest version (even if you are looking at an older page)

Looking again at the DCU for the ES on the Tech site there are 2 versions for the ES (only 1 for the NX).  One for L2 multimedia and L1.5 multimedia.  I'll take a wild guess that my 2019 ES is L1.5.  Anyone know for sure?  I've downloaded both for now.

Cheers

Habu

Take a look at the software update screen in your car - it should give you the model number of the DCU - the large screen is L2, the small is L1.5 - I gave the model numbers in my post above.  If you look at my first post at the top you'll see a photo of my system showing the model numbers for the NX.

Once you know the model number, use the file downloaded that contains the matching model number.  eg: file 17LDL2EU-DB02_0027.kwi is for 17LDL2EU-DB02 (L2 system)

Cheers Phil.  Must be the L2 then.  Just been out to update so now have Audio 1046 and Nav 1540.  The navdb_version has now changed from 2020 v1 to P0NB00_2_NDSLIB. I've no idea what that is and why it changed.

Habu

The NavDB version is a known issue. It sometimes displays a different code instead of the proper date version. Reboot the system and it will probably change back (hold the volume/power button for 5 seconds to reboot). 
I think P0NB00 relates to the names of the files in the FMU folder when you did the Map update (B00 was 2019v2 and B7E is 2020v1 - I have seen them displayed out of sync though, ie: an older code showing despite having the update)

I’m glad my educated guess at v1046 for the DCU file was correct.  Tells me I was looking at the right bit in the file. 

Glad you’re all sorted now. 👍

46 minutes ago, pobrown said:

The NavDB version is a known issue. It sometimes displays a different code instead of the proper date version. Reboot the system and it will probably change back (hold the volume/power button for 5 seconds to reboot). 
I think P0NB00 relates to the names of the files in the FMU folder when you did the Map update (B00 was 2019v2 and B7E is 2020v1 - I have seen them displayed out of sync though, ie: an older code showing despite having the update)

I’m glad my educated guess at v1046 for the DCU file was correct.  Tells me I was looking at the right bit in the file. 

Glad you’re all sorted now. 👍

All sorted now.  A new engine start has rebooted the system has returned the navdb to 2020 v1.  Well done, Phil, on both the Audio and navdb. :)

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

Thanks for posting this phil@pobrown very interesting read and indeed the interchange with peter@habu. I didn't know the Maps were upgraded separate and the multimedia device had its own upgrades. I took delivery of my UX in September 20 (it was built in Feb/march 20) i have Lexus premium navigation and the device is called 17CY as opposed to Phil's MM17 I'm wondering if this is different because its a NX. I had all sorts of problems getting the car connected  both at the dealer and via the folks at Lexus connectivity who i found very helpful. Remember having an update reminder show on the head unit i thought wow its just out of the showroom. I did it via my house Wi-Fi straight to it and low and behold it was same as what was already there. I actually updated the map 2 weeks ago. but interesting read and well done for the post. Enjoying the vehicle very much.

• Like 1

@pobrownWith your expertise on these matters I wonder if you could help me. 

My LC has had its service and navigation updates. I have added below some photos of the software update screens. Do you know if these are indeed the latest updates? I note than my system seems to be CY17 not CY19 and the Carplay update is not possible.

LC_Nav_Jan21_01.JPG

LC_Nav_Jan21_02.JPG

Yes they look like the latest versions.

The Navigation software (1550) was only released last week.

The Audio software hasn't been updated for your model for quite some time, so 1042 is still the latest.

I don't know the reason, but from what I've read you are right - the LC can't be upgraded to the CarPlay version (MM19).

Hi Phil.  Is there a way to easily see what firmware is current for a particular model?  I’m sure mine is probably not current but I’d like to find out.  My Centre aren’t much help.

Thanks

Peter