Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

150,000 miles in and still going strong

Last night my IS300h racked up 150,000 miles

IMG_1180.thumb.jpg.29b68edc481ffd05f2f7d1a9611a8e40.jpg

Im the second owner and have done 91,000 miles in the last 23 months. I have all of the previous service history from new so I though I would share some stats:

So far its had 12 services (one every 12.5K) ever since I have had the car I have been changing all the filters on every service and it has only been run on 0W20 oil, it has has 2 sets of denso plugs replaced and is now on its 3rd set. 

Its had its EGR cooler cleaned out. I bought a secondhand one and cleaned that out, then on a weekend I replaced my original with this one. What a nightmare of a job that was!! But one that I felt was required

I have paperwork for 7 complete sets of tyres, although they were not all replaced at the same time and in my ownership I have suffered 2 punctures that rendered the tyre useless, one of them on a tyre the had only done 800 miles. The car has been run on either Continentals or Falken tyres and since i've had the car I've only ever run the tyres at 39psi and they wear pretty evenly. Ive never had to have the tracking or alignment done and the car still tracks true.

Ive done 2 diff oil changes and one gearbox oil change, the engine antifreeze has been changed. currently I am considering changing the inverter fluid  but I have heard horror stories about getting airlocks in the system and bleeding is supposed to be a it difficult. 

All of the suspension is original, there are no rattles or squeaks and the ride is still very comfortable, everyone who travels in the car is impressed with the ride quality.

Brakes, this is one area where Toyota/Lexus always seem to suffer, and my IS is no exception, its on its 3rd set of front discs, 5 set of front brake pads, 2nd set of rear discs and 3rd set of rear pads. It currently has EBC grooved discs and EBC pads on the front and genuine discs and pads on the rear. in the last 5000 miles I have replaced both rear calipers as they were seized and the fronts have had new slider kits fitted.

The interior is spotless, mine is the SE spec so only has the half leather, the seats are still supportive even after a 500 mile round trip to London, on the cold mornings I do miss heated seats though. I know the infotainment system gets a slating but its not that bad, I have the premium stereo with the mouse controller and it takes a bit of getting used to but ive now got the hang of it although the sat nav can be a bit hit and miss with its routing at time, and the stereo gives good sound quality.

Mechanically its still brilliant, it uses very little oil between services, it has a very small weep on the crankshaft front oil seal and this is the reason for the oil use. I can still get over 55mpg on a run and 45 mpg around town. It still pulls like a train, especially in sport mode.

The Hybrid Battery appears to still be in good condition, I have recently acquired techstream and am interested in interrogated the Battery to see how well the cells are holding up

Air conditioning is ice cold, its never been recharged  

Niggles/issues:

There are only a few niggles I have, one of them is there is a rattle from the passenger seat when there is no one sat in it, I have a feeling there is. wire looks in the seat.

The front bumper is absolutely spattered with stone chips and needs a resprayed at the same time the leading edge of the bonnet would benefit from a bit of paint as well. that aside the overall paintwork is in really nice condition.

The wheels are typical Toyota/Lexus quality, the paint is flaking and the wheels now need refurbishing.

The front edge of the O/S chassis leg was found to be quite rusty, this has now been rectified by a bodyshop after Lexus decided they would not do it under their body warranty.

So that's the first 150,000 miles, I reckon I will see 200,000 miles in about 13 months time. Would it recommend one? Yes, Would I have another one? Very possibly, but would prefer a GS300h next time as they have a slightly larger boot which would work better when doing airport/ferryport runs, but if I can't get on e at the right price/mileage then ill happily have another IS300h

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Jayw13702 said:

Last night my IS300h racked up 150,000 miles

IMG_1180.thumb.jpg.29b68edc481ffd05f2f7d1a9611a8e40.jpg

Im the second owner and have done 91,000 miles in the last 23 months. I have all of the previous service history from new so I though I would share some stats:

So far its had 12 services (one every 12.5K) ever since I have had the car I have been changing all the filters on every service and it has only been run on 0W20 oil, it has has 2 sets of denso plugs replaced and is now on its 3rd set. 

Its had its EGR cooler cleaned out. I bought a secondhand one and cleaned that out, then on a weekend I replaced my original with this one. What a nightmare of a job that was!! But one that I felt was required

I have paperwork for 7 complete sets of tyres, although they were not all replaced at the same time and in my ownership I have suffered 2 punctures that rendered the tyre useless, one of them on a tyre the had only done 800 miles. The car has been run on either Continentals or Falken tyres and since i've had the car I've only ever run the tyres at 39psi and they wear pretty evenly. Ive never had to have the tracking or alignment done and the car still tracks true.

Ive done 2 diff oil changes and one gearbox oil change, the engine antifreeze has been changed. currently I am considering changing the inverter fluid  but I have heard horror stories about getting airlocks in the system and bleeding is supposed to be a it difficult. 

All of the suspension is original, there are no rattles or squeaks and the ride is still very comfortable, everyone who travels in the car is impressed with the ride quality.

Brakes, this is one area where Toyota/Lexus always seem to suffer, and my IS is no exception, its on its 3rd set of front discs, 5 set of front brake pads, 2nd set of rear discs and 3rd set of rear pads. It currently has EBC grooved discs and EBC pads on the front and genuine discs and pads on the rear. in the last 5000 miles I have replaced both rear calipers as they were seized and the fronts have had new slider kits fitted.

The interior is spotless, mine is the SE spec so only has the half leather, the seats are still supportive even after a 500 mile round trip to London, on the cold mornings I do miss heated seats though. I know the infotainment system gets a slating but its not that bad, I have the premium stereo with the mouse controller and it takes a bit of getting used to but ive now got the hang of it although the sat nav can be a bit hit and miss with its routing at time, and the stereo gives good sound quality.

Mechanically its still brilliant, it uses very little oil between services, it has a very small weep on the crankshaft front oil seal and this is the reason for the oil use. I can still get over 55mpg on a run and 45 mpg around town. It still pulls like a train, especially in sport mode.

The Hybrid battery appears to still be in good condition, I have recently acquired techstream and am interested in interrogated the battery to see how well the cells are holding up

Air conditioning is ice cold, its never been recharged  

Niggles/issues:

There are only a few niggles I have, one of them is there is a rattle from the passenger seat when there is no one sat in it, I have a feeling there is. wire looks in the seat.

The front bumper is absolutely spattered with stone chips and needs a resprayed at the same time the leading edge of the bonnet would benefit from a bit of paint as well. that aside the overall paintwork is in really nice condition.

The wheels are typical Toyota/Lexus quality, the paint is flaking and the wheels now need refurbishing.

The front edge of the O/S chassis leg was found to be quite rusty, this has now been rectified by a bodyshop after Lexus decided they would not do it under their body warranty.

So that's the first 150,000 miles, I reckon I will see 200,000 miles in about 13 months time. Would it recommend one? Yes, Would I have another one? Very possibly, but would prefer a GS300h next time as they have a slightly larger boot which would work better when doing airport/ferryport runs, but if I can't get on e at the right price/mileage then ill happily have another IS300h

extensive write up

Few things I find unusual however 

1) You mention heavy use on break discs and pads. I find that quite remarkable actually as the 3RX I sold was on 50% wear at 55k miles. Mine is currently on 30% at 31k miles and the IS is on similiar levels. Ive found the hybrids to use  the mechanical brakes less often unless using the brakes in very slow traffic

2) The alloy compounds since around 2012 is quite difficult to corrode even with significant kerbing. Are you sure the paint is original on the wheels? Likely poor refurb I would assume.

extensive write up
Few things I find unusual however 
1) You mention heavy use on break discs and pads. I find that quite remarkable actually as the 3RX I sold was on 50% wear at 55k miles. Mine is currently on 30% at 31k miles and the IS is on similiar levels. Ive found the hybrids to use  the mechanical brakes less often unless using the brakes in very slow traffic
2) The alloy compounds since around 2012 is quite difficult to corrode even with significant kerbing. Are you sure the paint is original on the wheels? Likely poor refurb I would assume.

I admit to being a little heavy on the brakes, my drive home is 20 miles of really nice twisty A road and I’m known to enjoy the road quite frequently [emoji6]

The wheels are original paint but the paint has lifted really badly, especially around the Lexus logos on the wheel centres.
I have 3 toyotas previously and they all went the same way. Mind you at 150k they’ve seen there fair share of salty roads so a refurb is in order soon

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jayw13702 said:

Nice write up and good to see how the car is after that mileage as I expect to do over 100k in mine. A couple of years ago I also had a rattle on the passenger seat and being an Executive trim it has the manual adjustment seats too. Drove me mad for a while but then found by raising and lowering the seat a bit with the lever it went away. It came back once more about a year later and did the same and it went again. Not had it since. I put it down to something in the height adjuster lever or mechanism. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jayw13702 said:

I admit to being a little heavy on the brakes, my drive home is 20 miles of really nice twisty A road and I’m known to enjoy the road quite frequently emoji6.png

The wheels are original paint but the paint has lifted really badly, especially around the Lexus logos on the wheel centres.
I have 3 toyotas previously and they all went the same way. Mind you at 150k they’ve seen there fair share of salty roads so a refurb is in order soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suppose that explains the brake issue!

Hmm, I believe it was a problem on earlier Lexus/Toyota. All of them post 2012 have had new alloys which don't corrode. I certainly haven't had any corrosion on 3 of my vehicles since then, 2 of which suffered from kerb marks. I wonder if they have been refurbed in the past by the previous owner before sale?

2 hours ago, rayaans said:

I suppose that explains the brake issue!

Hmm, I believe it was a problem on earlier Lexus/Toyota. All of them post 2012 have had new alloys which don't corrode. I certainly haven't had any corrosion on 3 of my vehicles since then, 2 of which suffered from kerb marks. I wonder if they have been refurbed in the past by the previous owner before sale?

I had all 4 wheels refurbished on my 2015 RX450h as a goodwill gesture by Lexus due to corrosion around the wheel centres. 

I have had one wheel on my 2017 RX450h replaced under warranty for the same reason. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, olliesgrandad said:

I had all 4 wheels refurbished on my 2015 RX450h as a goodwill gesture by Lexus due to corrosion around the wheel centres. 

I have had one wheel on my 2017 RX450h replaced under warranty for the same reason. 

If they were diamond cut then my statement doesn't apply as it happens across all brands on diamond cut wheels

I'm talking about standard painted wheels

• Like 1

Thanks for the write-up Jason! 

Could you clarify what you mean with the "The front edge of the O/S chassis leg" please? Could be worth keeping an eye on... 🙂 

Also did you notice anything suggesting a failing EGR cooler or was this just preventative maintenance??

Thanks for the write-up Jason! 
Could you clarify what you mean with the "The front edge of the O/S chassis leg" please? Could be worth keeping an eye on... [emoji846] 
Also did you notice anything suggesting a failing EGR cooler or was this just preventative maintenance??

As you open the bonnet look at the gap between the air box and the rear of the headlight, you will see a small portion of the chassis leg, this was where mine has started to corrode.

I have had a number of 1.8 Prius and they have an issue with the egr cooler blocking when they start getting to 100,000 plus miles, when they block they cause other issues and finally seem to culminate in them blowing their head gaskets. The 2.5 isn’t the same engine but there are similarities and so I decided that I would bite the bullet and put a secondhand one on that I had bought from eBay and cleaned up.
Mine was completely blocked but certainly wasn’t able to flow as well as a cleaned one, I would guess another 20k Miles and it would have been clogged, so it was more preventative maintenance really.
But god it’s a royal pain in the arse job to do, it makes the Prius one look like a doddle and that was always considered a bit of a challenge

• Thanks 1

But god it’s a royal pain in the arse job to do, it makes the Prius one look like a doddle and that was always considered a bit of a challenge

I'm guessing no (as in, don't ask somebody who's gone through this 🤬 to take pictures 😁), but I'll ask anyway: Any pictures?

I'm guessing no (as in, don't ask somebody who's gone through this [emoji2959] to take pictures [emoji16]), but I'll ask anyway: Any pictures?

A few, I will do a how to a little later

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1