Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bonnet pops open by itself

My car has been used twice over the last 10 days... last time was around 5pm yesterday when I went to buy some bread. No issue.

The car has been parked on the drive since, facing the front door.

Just now (2.15PM), I heard a popping sound, and the alarm went off. I went outside: no one around apart from my next door neighbour working in her front garden. She confirmed that no one had been anywhere near the car. I unlocked the car to reset the alarm and noticed that the bonnet had popped up. I opened it fully, closed it again, and locked the car.

Any idea was to what could cause the bonnet to pop open while the car is stationary and locked? - the last time the bonnet was opened was when the car went in for a service, a couple of weeks before the lockdown.

This might not help Dan, mine when I pull the trigger the bonnet stays in the shut position, I have to sort of bounce the bonnet to pop it up

Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, DanD said:

Any idea was to what could cause the bonnet to pop open while the car is stationary and locked?

you haven't got some sort of rodent trying to make a home in there causing this maybe  ?

Malc

• 2 weeks later...

OK sorted.

Had the same issue with my wife's Mini two days after my original post.

My son (19), kindly topped up the screen wash in both cars as he was topping up his own. He admitted that he may not have slammed the bonnets down hard enough for them to lock properly, 'for fear of damaging them'. 🙂

No problem since.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1