Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gaps in service history

emjay82

Hi, just looking for a consensus of opinion here please. I'm looking at a late 2012 CT200h as a daily commute car, a car that I'll be adding 20,000+ miles to each year. The car is reasonable value and looks in good condition but has large gaps in its service history as follows. I'm inclined to think that Lexus reliability would mean that no major damage would've been done but I'm no engineer. Thoughts would be appreciated, if it's enough to not buy the car.

August 2019 – Interim Service at 113k

Sept 2018 – Full service at 100k

June 2017 – Interim service at 87k

May 2016 – Full service at 75k

July 2015 – Interim service at 38k

Oct 2014 – Full service at 34k

17 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

Hi, just looking for a consensus of opinion here please. I'm looking at a late 2012 CT200h as a daily commute car, a car that I'll be adding 20,000+ miles to each year. The car is reasonable value and looks in good condition but has large gaps in its service history as follows. I'm inclined to think that Lexus reliability would mean that no major damage would've been done but I'm no engineer. Thoughts would be appreciated, if it's enough to not buy the car.

August 2019 – Interim Service at 113k

Sept 2018 – Full service at 100k

June 2017 – Interim service at 87k

May 2016 – Full service at 75k

July 2015 – Interim service at 38k

Oct 2014 – Full service at 34k

Looks pretty good to me.

7 minutes ago, BoutTime said:

Looks pretty good to me.

Do you not think 34k before it's first service, then another 37k between the 2nd and 3rd services is anything to worry about? Thanks.

Only real hiccup is the 2015-16 when it went 37,000 miles ( apparently ) without an oil change. Bit excessive but if it is a 'clean' running engine then the oil might have faired OK in that time. And since then every 13k which is fine, so if it runs well and without pumping out any signs of smoke then like you say, after all it is a ( well engineered ) Lexus.  One redeeming factor is that these 37,000 miles were done in 10 months so I guess it was a lot of 'straight line' miles unless it was a Taxi or delivering Pizzas!

you should use this as a bargaining tool if you go for it!

6 minutes ago, Texas said:

Only real hiccup is the 2015-16 when it went 37,000 miles ( apparently ) without an oil change. Bit excessive but if it is a 'clean' running engine then the oil might have faired OK in that time. And since then every 13k which is fine, so if it runs well and without pumping out any signs of smoke then like you say, after all it is a ( well engineered ) Lexus.  One redeeming factor is that these 37,000 miles were done in 10 months so I guess it was a lot of 'straight line' miles unless it was a Taxi or delivering Pizzas!

Thanks for your input, do you know think the lack of a service from new until 34000 was also a hiccup?

Did it have the 30 day/1000 mile complimentary first service which is quite important to clear the engine of the initial factory filled engine oil and any assembly lubricants? 

Note: Just checked and an oil service is Not included in this 30Day/1000 service- strange as it was on Fords back in the day when I bought New cars! (1980's)

23 minutes ago, emjay82 said:

Do you not think 34k before it's first service, then another 37k between the 2nd and 3rd services is anything to worry about? Thanks.

Mine also had a missed service but it didn't stop the Lexus dealership giving it an extended warranty. The car has been serviced regularly. I wouldn't let it bother you to be honest. With is age and the mileage you plan on doing the resale value shouldn't be a consideration either. Just my opinion of course.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

Are these stats from the service book or online? 

Who supplied the car. Might be worth talking to their service department. 

What;

is the car ?

is the current mileage ?

who is the seller ?

What warranty is being offered ?

What MOT does it have ?

How many previous owners ?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

What;

is the car ? Ct200h

is the current mileage ? 120000

who is the seller ? Independent garage (seem professional)

What warranty is being offered ? 3 months.

What MOT does it have ? Full year on collection.

How many previous owners ? 2

57 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

Are these stats from the service book or online? 

Who supplied the car. Might be worth talking to their service department. 

I've been sent the Lexus print offs for each of the services. 

1 hour ago, BoutTime said:

Mine also had a missed service but it didn't stop the Lexus dealership giving it an extended warranty. The car has been serviced regularly. I wouldn't let it bother you to be honest. With is age and the mileage you plan on doing the resale value shouldn't be a consideration either. Just my opinion of course.

I guess thinking the norm should be every 10,000 miles or every year- whatever comes the soonest. I see some upto 4 missed missed services.

• Like 1

Hi Mark Emjay82

I agree that due to amazing reliability of the CT I wouldn't think it would have a lasting effect on the car. You could use the patchy servicing as a bargaining tool as previously mentioned. I do around the same sort of mileage as you mentioned  of around 18-20K a year for my work in mine. I'm always banging on on here about how reliable they are and I have covered 168K now. I bought with 116K  about 3 years ago, Now mine did have the full  history as it had been a company car, although sometimes they weren't done exactly on time. For peace of mind I then booked a full 100k service at Lexus Chester after I buying it and asked them to give it the once over and to let me know if there were any issues and there was just some wear and tear stuff. Hope this helps. 

😁

• Like 1

Who purchases a new car and then invalids the three year warranty after 11k miles by not servicing it?

I'd steer clear. The engine will probably be fine but, assuming the service history is accurate and nothing was done until 34k miles, it is an example where the owner isn't looking after the vehicle - probably abused it, used cheap tyres/brakes etc.

Plenty of CTs around, walk away.

• Like 1