Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Quick coolant question (tongue twister...)

I'm wanting to get some coolant to replace what's in my '02 GS. This is the correct Lexus stuff but my local dealer is still shut and Lexus Parts Direct have a bit of a delay on deliveries. However, Halfords have this that I can pick up almost immediately. 

A suitable substitute?

(The image on LPD is incorrect. The link is for ready mixed.)

Many thanks!

I've not looked at the links because I'm firmly of the opinion that you should use the correct Lexus stuff.

I have no qualms about using non-Lexus parts when talking about batteries, wipers and suchlike, but fluids go into systems that have (mainly) rubber seals and other mission-critical stuff and the system and its fluid have been chemically matched.

Yes, a substitute may be to all the required specs for the system to work, but if even just one chemical is a different strength or maybe 'an equivalent', then although it may do its job of cooling, it may also be either not protecting the system or possibly even attacking it.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, I don't know, but I'd never substitute fluids.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Have to say I'm not averse to using non-manufacturer branded fluids. 

Lexus say you can use similar high quality ethylene glycol based non silicate, non nitrate, non borate coolant, with long life organic acid technology. Ring Halfords, and ask. I see no harm in using it for a short period as long as your not mixing the two coolants. But the Lexus coolant is designed to last 10 years so I would change it out within one year for the correct fluid.
I was able to get 5ltrs of genuine fluid delivered from eBay within 2 days.

Providing it is only for a short period plain water can be used as long as it is drained before refilling with the correct fluid.

John.

• Like 1

When I changed my water pump, I need some coolant to top up the system and I bought this from Halfords.

https://www.commaoil.com/passenger-vehicles/products/view/351

Not showing on their website at present but they do sell it. I found it my inputting my car reg on the Comma website.

14930.jpg

• Like 1

Genuine Toyota here, concentrate too so only need one and mix with water. If you have a dehumidifier use the water from that or buy some distilled.Delivery early next week.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Long-Life-Red-Coolant-Antifreeze-Concentrate-5-Lts-0888980014/264710198296?epid=654172571&hash=item3da1f51418:g:iigAAOSwOKlcba8l

• Like 2