Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi guys

I'm now on the lookout for an Ls400, preferably a mk4 with lpg, but I will also consider one without lpg. 

I'd prefer to buy one of a member on here

I'm almost to full fitness now, so I want to treat myself. I was looking at w126, but I don't know anything about them, so I'll stick with Lexus. 

Thanks 

• Like 1

W126's The last of the proper hand built cars in Germany. The LS was as you know based on them. I have driven several and all were on a par with my beloved LS400.

Just now, Bluesman said:

W126's The last of the proper hand built cars in Germany. The LS was as you know based on them. I have driven several and all were on a par with my beloved LS400.

Hi Mike, 

Are the 1990 w126 300se as reliable as the ls400? 

8 minutes ago, Greer said:

Messi, LPG conversions only pay if your doing the mileage............anyway, I've had Profess in S Wales has plenty experience of the LS range & are excellent + 10......I got a quote from them earlier on this years, here's there reply(1999 LS...........................................

Hello Denis

Thank you for your inquiry.

We can offer latest lpg conversion for Lexus LS400 1999 and our price is £1299+vat which is £1560 all-in.
The quote includes any lpg tank in the spare wheel space and a discrete refueling point behind fuel flap.

Hi 

I've had a couple of ls400's in the past that I had converted to lpg, loved them. 

But now I thought, why not go for a w126, I've never had a merc, I don't know anything about them or if they are as reliable as an ls400, so i thought maybe stick with what I know and that's the ls400 lexus

Enjoyed both 500SEC and 500SEL W126 series. 

Had more trouble mechanically with the Lexus after leaving the W126 and W140 series.  

Merc Electrics can be problem and wouldn't personally go for the straight six 300 but only the V8  420, 500, or 560. However prices are now very high for those models.

Lovely Car to drive and effortless. Better Seats and more space and height than the LS400. 

Fewer around maybe tells a story. Loom and relay failures, but spares cost far less than Japanese.  Timing Chains on larger engines

I'm running a Mercedes W140 and previously had a W126, both straight sixes, both spacious and both mechanically reliable.  The LS400 is likewise well engineered though I find the interior styling rather "American" compared to the German simplicity.

Alot to think about, I may stick to what I know and maybe go for the ls400, so if anyone is thinking about selling one, please let me know. The owner of my previous ls400 I had is selling it now, I had that lpg converted and it was mint, he said it still is mint, but it's all the way in Scotland, how do i go about getting it back with all this lockdown going on. 

Surely if you were stopped and you said you bought the car because your 'orignal' had stopped working and you need a car for 'work', caring for relative or something like that, then how could police argue, unless they were going to 100% check your story.

It also seems to depend on which Police Force might stop you, and I assume on the motorway they are not (surely) going to chase you down, though they may stop you when going itno service station.

A tricky one for sure, but if you did it would be like going back to the 60s when motorways first opened.

Last time I drove on a nearly empty motorway was 2005, on M74 coming south on a wednesday afternoon, managed to drive 15 miles of it without seeing another vehicle.  Back last year same stretch, mid week same time(ish) maybe 300 yards without seeing anything else (how times have changed)

As a “key worker” I’ve been called out several times travelling around Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire and South Yorkshire mainly on the M1. I have noticed a gradual increase in traffic as time goes on, early on it was LGVs and commercial vans making up the majority of traffic but more recently there are a lot more cars.

As for policing .....I have seen just one marked police vehicle in Nottingham parked up at a roundabout to date, no check points and no tugs.

15 hours ago, messi said:

I may stick to what I know and maybe go for the ls400,

Hey, I s'pose you've seen that Mk4 on Autotrader at £1099 ...........  bit leggy and a CatD and a little scruffy BUT at that money it might be a useful project right now for you  :unsure:

the recent MOTs don't mean much coz it's not been very far but a fresh MOT might put your mind at rest over UCAs etc and those 'orrible costs

Malc

2 minutes ago, Malc said:

Hey, I s'pose you've seen that Mk4 on Autotrader at £1099 ...........  bit leggy and a CatD and a little scruffy BUT at that money it might be a useful project right now for you  :unsure:

the recent MOTs don't mean much coz it's not been very far but a fresh MOT might put your mind at rest over UCAs etc and those 'orrible costs

Malc

Yes I've seen that, but it's a London car I think, and London cars are always battered and bruised, well most are 

Catford was a really upmarket place ( well, about 60 years ago ) .....  and maybe used as a taxi .........  or maybe just some old bugger ( like me ! ) had it and now run it's course with very limited miles these past few years ......... and finding it's next " home " for aged / young classics 😊

Malc

and I bet they'd take £4 / 500 for it too right now !

Yes it was £900 but I think he's got it mot'd that's why he put the price up. 

The thing is, it does look a nice car, but I'm not fond of what he's done to the steering wheel

46 minutes ago, messi said:

I'm not fond of what he's done to the steering wheel

I know what you mean, I’m not sure whether I like it or not, the centre console and vents looks like a chrome finish as well. Looks a nice car though.

47 minutes ago, messi said:

Yes it was £900 but I think he's got it mot'd that's why he put the price up. 

The thing is, it does look a nice car, but I'm not fond of what he's done to the steering wheel

This must be a really special car as it apparently drives like a "Chinese Rolls Royce"

I can't help thinking an LS lowered like that wouldn't have the ride comfort you'd want.  Looks good for shows etc but not for me, I'd prefer a standard car made how it was intended.  I put a bigger set of wheels on a previous LS400 but changed them back very quickly.  Is this one for sale then?

• Like 1

Just now, steve2006 said:

I know the guy who owned that on Facebook, think he’s gone back to a Supra again now.

Yeah, burty, I wanted to buy it off him the one time too. I think it looks nice, but abit low for me, but I'm sure the suspension can be raised 

and I had a mobile phone just like that in about 1994 would it have been, not quite like a brick but getting there :yes:

Malc

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links