Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New alloys! Got myself in a bit of a pickle!

Localhero

So I have bought myself new alloys these came with 5mm spacers, when I tried to fit them with spacers virtually no thread was protruding through the wheel so I removed spacers and ended up with 6/7 mms of thread about 5 turns of my wheel brace in an effort to gain more thread used a breaker bar and snapped one of the nuts, this will have to be drilled out as there is absolutely nothing to get hold of, so I have ordered 20 50mm long studs and new nuts just got to get a garage to fit them now eek !😥

You may be right but i am not very mechanical, if there is not much  room behind disc rotar then I may need to remove brakes, discs dust guards, and possibly hubs in order to remove old ones and fit longer new ones I am ashamed to say  I neither have the confidence ability or tools to do this myself🤔

36 minutes ago, Localhero said:

You may be right but i am not very mechanical, if there is not much  room behind disc rotar then I may need to remove brakes, discs dust guards, and possibly hubs in order to remove old ones and fit longer new ones I am ashamed to say  I neither have the confidence ability or tools to do this myself🤔

Perhaps I did over simplify the fitting of new wheel studs.
It is required to remove or swing the brake calipers out of the way before the discs will slide off the studs. There is however large hole or gaps in areas of the back plates to pass even the longest studs through. Having done this recently to change a front bearing hub I know just how much room there is.

John.

• Like 1

OH! thanks for that the only video I have seen someone took a dremel to the back plate to cut out a piece, then used the same dremel to cut out a chunk of the brake calipers in order to get a longer bolt in, are the front and back pretty much the same? I have managed to get the broken nut out without  damaging anything but the stud, maybe I will give it a go? Many thanks LH

2 hours ago, Localhero said:

OH! thanks for that the only video I have seen someone took a dremel to the back plate to cut out a piece, then used the same dremel to cut out a chunk of the brake calipers in order to get a longer bolt in, 

WHAT? Good God, some people shouldn't have an electricity supply! 

• Haha 2

As John says, replacing the studs is fairly easy as the hubs can be rotated so the stud holes can be accessed from gaps at the back. There's enough wriggle room to slot them in. I'm a little surprised the standard studs weren't long enough.

20200426_143730.thumb.jpg.0f5ad7ac203beea4200e830c6b8451c9.jpg20200426_143730.thumb.jpg.0f5ad7ac203beea4200e830c6b8451c9.jpg

On 4/29/2020 at 9:30 PM, Neil E said:

As John says, replacing the studs is fairly easy as the hubs can be rotated so the stud holes can be accessed from gaps at the back. There's enough wriggle room to slot them in. I'm a little surprised the standard studs weren't long enough.

Thanks all for  help, both myself and the wheel suppliers are surprised that the studs are not  long enough  as far as I can measure I have 25mm protruding  from the hub the original wheels seem to be about 10 mms approx thickness leaving approx 15mm of thread, my new wheels are nearer 15 mms without spacers so only 10 mms of thread and the studs taper at the very ends, also the nuts they supplied have a loose collar which weakens the nuts even further!!!20200426_143730.thumb.jpg.0f5ad7ac203beea4200e830c6b8451c9.jpg

Those are 'wobble' wheel nuts, often supplied with aftermarket wheels. If they are good quality they should be fine if there is enough thread showing. Best check the correct torque setting for them as it will be different to the Toyota style lug nuts.  

Thanks Neil as I have less than 1/2 inch of thread these are not even going as far as the main part of the  nut! One of these nuts sheared off where the main part of the nut begins, I have ordered 51mm studs 11mm longer and solid open ended nuts so should be ok hopefully 👍

Is the reason for wobble nuts that the wheels the wrong fitment, ive always found with aftermarket wheels on my lexus cars ive had very little thread to play with

The PCD (pitch circle diameter - the bolt pattern) should be 114.3 on the SC430 with a centre bore of 60.1mm. 

Do the new wheels have hub centric rings (spigot rings) to match the correct 60.1mm centre bore measurement? The supplier usually fits them to the wheels before sending them out if they know the car it's going on. Lexus original wheels fit 'snug' onto the hub as they have the correct centre bore machined into the wheel centre. Aftermarket wheels are often able to fit many makes and models with the same PCD value and the spigot rings adjust for the difference in the centre bore size. 

Yes they came with concentric rings made of plastic/nylon material but seem to do the trick. I am not going to use the spacers as these would fill the flange on the hubs meaning the wheel would just be suspended on the nuts I think🤔

• Like 1

Sorry to reply to my own post, but longer studs and solid nuts  came so I left car with local garage who phoned me an hour later to say new studs don't fit! I went back to garage and a lot of pounding going on the old studs appeared  TO BE14 mms new ones 14.2mms also spline grooves on original studs a bit more aggressive than after market ones, a bit of grinding of spline and managed to get new stud  to fit and one not happy mechanic, he pointed out this had taken over 40 mins to do one stud  which at a relatively cheap £35 per hr +vat was going to cost £400 for 20, my new nuts are 25mm long including the tapered bits and when torqued up 9mm max thread is showing inside the nut which means 16 mms  min of thread is doing it's job is this safe please🤔

In engineering terms the amount of thread used on a stud by a nut should be at leased the equivalent of the diameter of the stud. So a 14 mm stud should have a minimum of 14 mm of thread used by the nut.

John. 

• Like 1

Thanks ever so much for that these are 12 mm bolts even allowing for the taper on the end of the lug bolts I have a minimum of 14mm of thread you have made me feel a lot more confident, I am going to get a cheap (if possible) torque  wrench  and check them every couple of weeks, once again thanks 🤗👏

• Like 1

Very smart in the best colour and looks at least 10% quicker with those wheels. I like the flash blue brake calipers too.👍

The new alloys look very smart indeed Stewart, what make please, also what size wheels 19" or 20" etc, as I might be upgrading my SC430 wheels soon.👍

What are you doing with your old set of alloys?

jack

• Like 1

The wheels are 18inch I want to try and keep the classic look even thinking of a stainless steel boot rack like I had on an mgb   but not sure? They are available on fleabay at £500, because of the trouble I've had not sure I would recommend  and they already have a few marks due to being on and off, I plan to refurbish my old wheels when finances allow and may even put them back on at a later date, but if not will let you know👍