Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Aristo wing mirrors advice on wiring

Hi all needed some help on my mod to change me GS mirrors to Aristo ones using stock wiring. I will be gutting the powerfold from the Aristo to put in GS. I know I have to put the power motor wires from the Aristo to the stock GS harness. Door ECUs will also be swapped. Only think is I have the folding switch and the wires have been cut by the scrap yard. Wires are two black and white, green/grey and pink. Does anyone know we're the switch is to be wired to. Would it be to the body ecu or other. Any help be appreciated. 🙂

On 4/29/2020 at 8:11 PM, ColinBarber said:

Looks like it goes into body ECU 1 - the mirror adjuster goes into ECU 2.

870932038_Screenshot2020-04-29at20_10_25.thumb.png.d56e6040ec3bea8274dfa5897e0e873f.png

Thanks mate. so the folding switch wires go into body ECU1 which pins go were. the door ecus i can install and gutting the mirrors and swaping the housings.Just need to know exactly were the switch wires go in to the body ECU. appreciate the help and guidance.

on the diagram above it suggests Pin 4 on the switch (pink/green wire) goes to pin 7 on the ECU. Pin 3 on the switch needs to go to a ground. This is a black/white wire.

This diagram below suggests pin 1 and 2 not 3 and 4. You will need to do the continuity test to determine which pins are correct. (either pins 1 & 2, or pins 3 & 4). The other pins are for illumination of the switch.

1149559149_Screenshot2020-05-01at21_07_27.thumb.png.cc1e630208113fa12c5280e45c3b8f0f.png

ECU pin 7:

915266739_Screenshot2020-05-01at21_17_48.thumb.png.e78a4bfdba488570eab9a511230f7e23.png

The Body ECU 1 is located on the passenger side footwell. Picture here is LHD, but as everything is mirrored on a RHD, it should still be in the passenger footwell - just on the other side of the vehicle. Body ECU 2 is on the opposite side.

439776421_Screenshot2020-05-01at21_18_19.thumb.png.7ec05dc4a45a17de95fe7c8ef4175e27.png

No idea if the UK spec ECU has the control within it to work with the folder mirrors. Hopefully they used a common part.

1 hour ago, ColinBarber said:

on the diagram above it suggests Pin 4 on the switch (pink/green wire) goes to pin 7 on the ECU. Pin 3 on the switch needs to go to a ground. This is a black/white wire.

This diagram below suggests pin 1 and 2 not 3 and 4. You will need to do the continuity test to determine which pins are correct. (either pins 1 & 2, or pins 3 & 4). The other pins are for illumination of the switch.

1149559149_Screenshot2020-05-01at21_07_27.thumb.png.cc1e630208113fa12c5280e45c3b8f0f.png

ECU pin 7:

915266739_Screenshot2020-05-01at21_17_48.thumb.png.e78a4bfdba488570eab9a511230f7e23.png

The Body ECU 1 is located on the passenger side footwell. Picture here is LHD, but as everything is mirrored on a RHD, it should still be in the passenger footwell - just on the other side of the vehicle. Body ECU 2 is on the opposite side.

439776421_Screenshot2020-05-01at21_18_19.thumb.png.7ec05dc4a45a17de95fe7c8ef4175e27.png

No idea if the UK spec ECU has the control within it to work with the folder mirrors. Hopefully they used a common part.

Thanks. Looked into USDM GS and the cars there had the folding switch taped onto the mirror control switch behind the housing and I looked on the wiring and it's straight plug n play if you have the door ECUs and switch. I checked mine and had a good poke around it was not there shame as It would make it alot easier. I'm determined to make this work but don't want to fry up the electrics doing it. Or others have done it with a Honda power folding relay. But I want mine OEM as much as possible. I've highlighted the the folding mirror connector which was obviously put in by the factory as an extra option. But mine hasn't wonder if any other members have that be good to know. So that means pin 4 on the switch goes to 7 on the ECU. the others would need to be tested for continuity to establish ground wire as I have two black/white wires..

Screenshot_20200429-200604~2.png

Hi are these connectors from the body ECUs as not sure? The first one is passenger side second is drivers side.

IMG_20200502_110149.jpg

20200502_183822.png

Talking to GS owner in the states and they have the factory connector on the mirror control harness. So it's been put there by factory 🤔. You'd think being they would do it to European GS. Just wondering if other members on here would mind pulling out the GS mirror control switch housing on the dash and check to see if they have that extra connector. Hers a quick video of what I mean. That way my I will have to eliminate the OEM install, bloody shame be as got the parts😡

RCM.pdf

Hi,

This is my second attempt to upload the circuit diagram of a European Lexus GS. If you can open it and you need more information or diagrams, I will he glad to be of help.

I apologise for my earlier failure. I hope this time is ok.

3 hours ago, Mihanicos said:

RCM.pdf 40.37 kB · 4 downloads

Hi,

This is my second attempt to upload the circuit diagram of a European Lexus GS. If you can open it and you need more information or diagrams, I will he glad to be of help.

I apologise for my earlier failure. I hope this time is ok.

Hi thanks for the diagram. Ive jus pm you.

Hi,

The circuit diagram shows all the connections to both mirrors from their respective ECUs. You need the circuit diagram of the Aristo mirrors to make the connections.

As far as the motor operation is concerned, the wiring is clear. The mirror position sensor wiring is not clear what each wire does. You can try to measure the resistance of each wire with every other single wire of the position sensor, note each value and try to match them to the Aristo mirrors. This is a very coarse method it is not recommended and you may cause a short circuit when the mirrors are operated. 

If you change the door ECUs you must make all the connections to each except the mirrors in which case it will a direct wiring case. Sometimes ECUs controlling the same part have different wiring.

Good luck.

Chris.

8 hours ago, Mihanicos said:

Hi,

The circuit diagram shows all the connections to both mirrors from their respective ECUs. You need the circuit diagram of the Aristo mirrors to make the connections.

As far as the motor operation is concerned, the wiring is clear. The mirror position sensor wiring is not clear what each wire does. You can try to measure the resistance of each wire with every other single wire of the position sensor, note each value and try to match them to the Aristo mirrors. This is a very coarse method it is not recommended and you may cause a short circuit when the mirrors are operated. 

If you change the door ECUs you must make all the connections to each except the mirrors in which case it will a direct wiring case. Sometimes ECUs controlling the same part have different wiring.

Good luck.

Chris.

Chris I think I got the Aristo wiring but it's in Japanese. If you want to take a look at that to compare. Last thin I want is it to fry the ECU for the sake of OEM install.. 

received_185607946087355.jpeg

Hi, 

Unfortunately I do not speak Japanese. To me it is just like hieroglyphics. Try to get the repair manual of your car with the the full circuit diagram. There are a few websites on line to get the manual on a pdf document with very reasonable prices. I bought a Toyota Avensis and a Hundai manual for about 30 Euro each.

Without a complete circuit diagram showing all the connections you will be shooting in the dark.

Chris.

8 hours ago, Mihanicos said:

Hi, 

Unfortunately I do not speak Japanese. To me it is just like hieroglyphics. Try to get the repair manual of your car with the the full circuit diagram. There are a few websites on line to get the manual on a pdf document with very reasonable prices. I bought a Toyota Avensis and a Hundai manual for about 30 Euro each.

Without a complete circuit diagram showing all the connections you will be shooting in the dark.

Chris.

Hi Chris I thought it would be. exactly were did you get the manuals from? If not I'm thinking of wiring it via dpdt switch with two relays. Or buying a JDM power folding mirror relay and dpdt switch. Some owners have done this on others forum. Not sure if it would be safer to do it with two relays to protect the life of the motor. 🤔

Hi,

I bought some repair manuals from emanuals and ebay. There are some on eBay now, I just had a look, some are on a CD and some are on pdf. They are very cheap and they cover a wide range of Lexus and Toyota Aristo. 

Chris

What you think about using dpdt switch and relays or JDM power folding relay?

16 minutes ago, Mihanicos said:

Hi,

I bought some repair manuals from emanuals and ebay. There are some on ebay now, I just had a look, some are on a CD and some are on pdf. They are very cheap and they cover a wide range of Lexus and Toyota Aristo. 

Chris

Before I make any modifications, I need to have the existing circuit diagram and the circuit diagram of the equipment to be added. If you can make measurements and checks to verify the connections, you can make the modifications you want.

However, to add relays, other switches etc, you have to find ways to support them, room to accommodate them etc. Sometimes even if you replace just a bolt or a nut which is not the original, you end up buying the original.

Chris.

I will have a look in more detail as I never thought of it like that. Other GS owners have done it so I'm pretty sure it's possible. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all been busy at work so no update on the mod. I've been looking into the OEM mod and would like to do that but don't really want to mess with the ECU too much.. so I'm going to tackle it with a dpdt switch and piggy back tails. My question is which piggy back fuse would be safe or if there is a empty fuse slot that any members know of in the kick panels. What size gauge wire should be used.. any advice be appreciated 😁