Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Just purchased a preowned rx400h - what should i check? Advice / Tips needed

ctobz22

Hi I am a new member and have just purchased a preowned rx400h and wondered if you guys could give an opinion on anything I need to be aware of mechanically and anything i should check out?

Also im not 100% familiar with the car yet so any general tips would be great too.

But so far I must say I love it... its such a smooth comfortable ride!

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks

Conor

7 hours ago, ctobz22 said:

Hi I am a new member and have just purchased a preowned rx400h and wondered if you guys could give an opinion on anything I need to be aware of mechanically and anything i should check out?

Also im not 100% familiar with the car yet so any general tips would be great too.

But so far I must say I love it... its such a smooth comfortable ride!

I look forward to your replies.

Thanks

Conor

Hi Conor, welcome to the LOC.  You may be ok under the current conditions but you may want to find a way to protect your catalytic converter as the RX400h is a prize target.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Hi Conor, welcome to the LOC.  You may be ok under the current conditions but you may want to find a way to protect your catalytic converter as the RX400h is a prize target.

Hi Phil trust you are ok. What are the Lexus models that attract cc thieves , cheers, Roger

Hi Con and welcome to the LOC.

There are things that need checking but these are generally done before you purchase the car.

Did you buy from a dealer or private seller, you have more protection with a dealer should defects arise.

Service history is a good indication as this normally includes hybrid health checks, did you do an MOT history check as this provides useful information and shows anything likely to cause problems in the advisories section.

Main places to check are the air suspension struts known to leak, suspension components as these are heavy cars and hybrid problems with batteries, inverters and cooling system.

Feel free to post up a picture of your new car, we like pictures 😀

• Like 1

Hi Steve,

Purchased from a local small dealer.

MOT history check looked pretty good, no fails at all throughout the whole MOT history and very few advisories.

Condition of body and interior was really good for its age.

And had 12 months MOT. The last MOT that was done last month had advisory for Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect nearside front.

There is only part service history, it appears the service book is missing but the dealer told me to contact lexus and they will have the history? (maybe i was a bit naive here yes!)

Obviously at the moment they are all closed so as soon as they open I will get myself booked in. Can anyone advise if they will provide a new service history book and complete it (providing services were done with lexus) as i dont have one?

Also I have questions about the rear entertainment and the mark levinson system. Shall i make a new post for this, im not sure how to go about this, like can you just make a new post and ask questions on here, are there any rules? lol.

Pictures to follow 😆

4 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Hi, thanks.  Ok, what's the best way to protect the CC?

1 hour ago, steve2006 said:

There are things that need checking but these are generally done before you purchase the car.

Did you buy from a dealer or private seller, you have more protection with a dealer should defects arise.

Service history is a good indication as this normally includes hybrid health checks, did you do an MOT history check as this provides useful information and shows anything likely to cause problems in the advisories section.

Main places to check are the air suspension struts known to leak, suspension components as these are heavy cars and hybrid problems with batteries, inverters and cooling system.

Hi Steve,

Purchased from a local small dealer.

MOT history check looked pretty good, no fails at all throughout the whole MOT history and very few advisories.

Condition of body and interior was really good for its age.

And had 12 months MOT. The last MOT that was done last month had advisory for Shock absorbers light misting of oil or has limited damping effect nearside front.

There is only part service history, it appears the service book is missing but the dealer told me to contact lexus and they will have the history? (maybe i was a bit naive here yes!)

Obviously at the moment they are all closed so as soon as they open I will get myself booked in. Can anyone advise if they will provide a new service history book and complete it (providing services were done with lexus) as i dont have one?

Also I have questions about the rear entertainment and the mark levinson system. Shall i make a new post for this, im not sure how to go about this, like can you just make a new post and ask questions on here, are there any rules? lol.

Pictures to follow 😆

The damper problem is common with the “light misting” many have been replaced under warranty because they’re not cheap to replace.

Most Lexus dealers will provide a print out for the Lexus Service History on production of personal ID and the V5C in the same name.

Lexus UK have electronic manuals but unfortunately only from 2012 for the RX but may help with your sound system operation.

https://www.lexus.co.uk/forms/manuals/owners-manual

There is a separate section on club for audio but you may get more responses asking on this thread.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

The damper problem is common with the “light misting” many have been replaced under warranty because they’re not cheap to replace.

Most Lexus dealers will provide a print out for the Lexus Service History on production of personal ID and the V5C in the same name.

Lexus UK have electronic manuals but unfortunately only from 2012 for the RX but may help with your sound system operation.

https://www.lexus.co.uk/forms/manuals/owners-manual

There is a separate section on club for audio but you may get more responses asking on this thread.

So would you advise I take out the warranty offered by the dealer (he said i have one week to confirm, its £200 for 6 months) and get this advisory repair done through that?

How would I know if the warranty would cover that?

Or should i look for another company online that will offer me warranty and get this done on that?

Any suggestings on who offers a good preowned warranty?

Many thanks

3 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I will take a nicer photo later for you, but this is it. 

lex.jpg

lex2.jpg

You have statutory rights for 6 months after purchase regarding faults and who is responsible for repairs so paying £200.00 to the dealer is a waste of money when they are responsible anyway. 

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights

The fact that they are time pressuring you to take it out says it all really, don’t pay it and use your consumer rights should something go wrong in the same six months.

Personally I would wait until Lexus dealerships reopen then get it in for a free health check which will certainly highlight any problems then get the dealer to rectify these, if any, under your consumer rights, especially the misting struts.

Most warranty companies will only cover cars up to a certain age and mileage and they also generally insist on a FSH, given the age of the car it may not be viable

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

You have statutory rights for 6 months after purchase regarding faults and who is responsible for repairs so paying £200.00 to the dealer is a waste of money when they are responsible anyway. 

https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights

The fact that they are time pressuring you to take it out says it all really, don’t pay it and use your consumer rights should something go wrong in the same six months.

Personally I would wait until Lexus dealerships reopen then get it in for a free health check which will certainly highlight any problems then get the dealer to rectify these, if any, under your consumer rights, especially the misting struts.

Most warranty companies will only cover cars up to a certain age and mileage and they also generally insist on a FSH, given the age of the car it may not be viable

Thanks thats very helpful.

Can you advise on what brand / what oil I need for this car as I want to keep some in the boot? Thanks

4 hours ago, RgrWynne said:

Hi Phil trust you are ok. What are the Lexus models that attract cc thieves , cheers, Roger

Hi Roger, as far as I'm aware the RX is the main target as access is easier due to the height. Also it seems the Toyota Prius is another favourite. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ctobz22 said:

Hi, thanks.  Ok, what's the best way to protect the CC?

If you do a search on here for catalytic converter theft you'll find lots of info.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ctobz22 said:

Thanks currently looking at police approved co. https://catloc.co.uk/our-solution/

There appears to be alot of thefts of CCs in London recently. 

Yes, London certainly seems to have the highest number of cases.  Some have said catlocs work, others are not so sure. Maybe you could get a dog with big teeth and train it to sleep underneath! Parking in a space that makes getting a jack underneath it is sensible if possible.  The thieves will be looking for quick easy access. 

• Like 1

Back to the original question, timing belt and spark plugs. I'd also have a look under the cubby in the boot floor (remove it) and check if everything is nice and dry. If it's not just dry it (paper towels) and keep an eye on it. Lots of terrifying chat on here but if it's not getting any worse then don't worry. Just to get in there before forum paranoia sets in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The-Acre said:

Yes, London certainly seems to have the highest number of cases.  Some have said catlocs work, others are not so sure. Maybe you could get a dog with big teeth and train it to sleep underneath! Parking in a space that makes getting a jack underneath it is sensible if possible.  The thieves will be looking for quick easy access. 

I booked in for a service when Lexus reopens in June, and they said they can do Catloc for an additional £250 including fitting.
Would you advise to get a grill fitted aswell as a guard clamp?

14 hours ago, ctobz22 said:

I booked in for a service when Lexus reopens in June, and they said they can do Catloc for an additional £250 including fitting.
Would you advise to get a grill fitted aswell as a guard clamp?

Really you would need to take advice from an RX owner I think.

• Like 1