Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Morning All,

I've got the car booked in next Thursday to have the alloys refurbished.  I was gonna go for the same silver effect but the refurbishing garage recommends a change to Anthracite, says it looks stunning.  Has anyone had this done to their silver SUV and if so how does it look?

Hi Scudney, yeh they do and I will have a better idea next Thursday.  Might be nice to get something a wee bit different, just wondered if anyone else had done similar.  Whatever I choose I'll post before and after pics next week.

Nothing wrong in going for something a wee different lol,and especially as they seem to be recommending it,can't be bad,and hopefully you will be well pleased with it,which is what matters most,yeah be nice to see the before and after pics👍

Had Anthracite on my silver Opel Monza GSE many years ago, it being the factory finish.  It went quite well although I prefer silver.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder so go with what you like rather than what others think.  If you might sell the car before long remember that any modification from standard can reduce the value and desirability of it in general. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Burroo 67 said:

Morning All,

I've got the car booked in next Thursday to have the alloys refurbished.  I was gonna go for the same silver effect but the refurbishing garage recommends a change to Anthracite, says it looks stunning.  Has anyone had this done to their silver SUV and if so how does it look?

The anthracite will look amazing with the silver. My gen 3 diamond cut alloys were changed as part of a goodwill gesture by Lexus to a dark chrome finish similar to F sport. 

2 hours ago, Burroo 67 said:

Hi Scudney, yeh they do and I will have a better idea next Thursday.  Might be nice to get something a wee bit different, just wondered if anyone else had done similar.  Whatever I choose I'll post before and after pics next week.

On my previous car the Refurbish Shop suggested also another colour which was different to a standard silver, it was more like a gun grey metallic, so I agreed and the finish was awesome! My previous car was blue in colour though.

20180504_125916.jpg

20180504_125920.jpg

20180504_142620.jpg

• Like 1

Forgive the fact it's not a RX..  

Had these done a matt effect gunmetal and thought it went well with the silver :

20191027_113817.thumb.jpg.75926a5bf378ad8abaf3fa919e332ed0.jpg

20190705_195505-1612x1208.thumb.jpg.1d1ca2d6d6513f8ff4c9e4096317643d.jpg

A lot better than the silver they were before.  Also quite a lot easier to keep clean!

• Like 4

My personal opinion is the black wheel is a bit overdone now and I'm not a fan.

But they doo hide brake dust quite well until the residue builds up to the thick brown level.

Alan64, cost is £180 for all 4 wheels - thought that was incredibly cheap but the refurbishment garage is very well established and gets rave reviews - find out tomorrow if justified.

It is cheap I’ve been quoted £320 for all 4 wheels and it’s done over 4 days, mine are a “Mirror finish.” The guy does all my paintwork and told me that the wheels are first sprayed black then a translucent silver is sprayed on top of that to produce the finish.

5B46D4A3-32EA-4992-ABD5-C3D6C00CA2A4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 11:12 PM, Jaystar77 said:

Forgive the fact it's not a RX..  

20191027_113817.thumb.jpg.75926a5bf378ad8abaf3fa919e332ed0.jpg

20190705_195505-1612x1208.thumb.jpg.1d1ca2d6d6513f8ff4c9e4096317643d.jpg

Sorry off-topic but can I just say, very nice Caldina GT-Four you have there 👍

Never seen one on UK roads.

• Like 1

Thank you Ganesh, it's no RX but it is quite capable 🙂

Cost wise £180 is a cracking quote.

Mine were £330 for all four although 3 were buckled and the caps needed painting too.  (That was for a set of 17"). 

On my RX300 I did get a set of 18" rims powder-coated for cheaper (£240 iirc) but wasn't really happy with the finish.  Might be worth asking to see examples of workmanship prior to work to save any potential hassle.

Alan64, cost is £180 for all 4 wheels - thought that was incredibly cheap but the refurbishment garage is very well established and gets rave reviews - find out tomorrow if justified.

Where about a is this garage? I need to do all 4 of my wheels as they are losing air and have been told it’s due to alloy corrosion.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Dear All,

Many thanks for your comments on my refurbish dilemma.  I have attached before and after pics and have the following observations: -

1. The refurb unit is in Dumbarton, I decided on 'light anthracite'

2. They did all 4 wheels by 5.00pm for £180, only problem was they did not do the inserts and they reason given is that they have been sued in the past as the refurb process can damage        the caps.  Had they told me this before I decided on the 'light anthracite' I would probably have went for silver, but hey ho I think you need to be looking for the difference to really spot it,      and if it still bugs me in a week or so's time I'll look at painting them myself.....

In the before and after pics I have shown the worst wheel, the whitish marks on the rims of the after pics are the lubricant stuff they put on when putting the tyres back onto the rims.

Please comment, if you don't mind.

car 6.jpg

car3.jpg

car 7.jpg

car 8.jpg

• Like 1

Looks good prefer the light anthracite to the original silver as it looks slightly darker than the silver and provides a bit of a contrast too,as for the caps all they should have done was paint/spray them the same colour,being plastic they don't have to go through then same process of acid dipping or powder coating.👍👍

Looks much better, really works well. 

I gave the centre caps on mine a blast of matt black as I didn't fancy the silver.  (Which TBH actually suits them now I see yours!)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links