Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

DVLA in lockdown

I bought my car 6 weeks ago and have yet to get my V5C. DVLA website states if you do not have it in 6 weeks phone them. Their answerphone says they are not open. It then says send in a form V62 with your green slip. It then goes on to say do not send any paper applications.

They insist  that you MOT and RFL your car but says you can only do that with the aforementioned green slip ( that you have sent in) It then says that you can get a MOT free extension. All very confusing! 

I am in receipt of a check from the DVLA for a refund after sorning my car. The check is made out to me but my name is miss spelled on the check effectively changing my name. I am in lock down because of my age, and health conditions. My nearest bank is a 20 mile round trip away, and it is most unlikely they would accept the check even if I could get it there.
The DVLA will not accept phone calls or Emails "I have sent them an Email, but they only reply by saying they will not respond to non essential workers" so I cannot discus this problem with them. I pay my road tax by direct debit so why can they not refund the monies direct to my bank account the way it was taken?
Surely thousands of people will have sorned there cars, and with issuing checks caused many thousands of non essential journeys to be carried out. I contacted my local police asking if this would be considered an essential journey? and was told if I needed to ask I already know the answer. I take this as a no.

John.

12 hours ago, Spacewagon52 said:

I was under the impression you kept the green slip and the previous owner sends off the V5? 

Has as the procedure changed?

no but if the previous owner fails to do it then there is a procedure via V62. i do not think he has failed but i do think DVLA are not working so cannot get to know what the truth is???????

I bet those £80.00 fines still get churned out should you commit the ultimate sin and forget to SORN your vehicle, they will certainly get your name right on that!

They we’re running OK until this outbreak, my brother moved house, did the address change online and got a new V5C in days. The problem now is they aren’t operating but have done nothing to assist in such situations. The MOT has been extended so why can’t the DVSA allow a newly purchased car on the road so long as it is agreed the tax will be backdated.

1 hour ago, markeyszoo said:

no but if the previous owner fails to do it then there is a procedure via V62. i do not think he has failed but i do think DVLA are not working so cannot get to know what the truth is???????

When I purchased my 2 year old IS 300h from a Lexus dealer they send the docs to DVLA for the V5 but after 6 weeks never received one so had to do the V62 form to get a V5. Spoke to Lexus during the process and they confirmed all had been done at their end so never did find out what went wrong - whether DVLA or something in the docs getting lost...

The DVLA are experts at loosing documents, but will never admit to making any sort of mistake. My wife had to renew her driving licence sending in our marriage certificate. They said they never received it, but we know 100% it was in with all the other paperwork. Like many other government departments there is no bringing out the truth, and holding them to some sort of responsibility. After all it is your word against a government department that can never make a mistake.

John.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Britprius said:

I am in receipt of a check from the DVLA for a refund after sorning my car. The check is made out to me but my name is miss spelled on the check effectively changing my name. I am in lock down because of my age, and health conditions. My nearest bank is a 20 mile round trip away, and it is most unlikely they would accept the check even if I could get it there.
The DVLA will not accept phone calls or Emails "I have sent them an Email, but they only reply by saying they will not respond to non essential workers" so I cannot discus this problem with them. I pay my road tax by direct debit so why can they not refund the monies direct to my bank account the way it was taken?
Surely thousands of people will have sorned there cars, and with issuing checks caused many thousands of non essential journeys to be carried out. I contacted my local police asking if this would be considered an essential journey? and was told if I needed to ask I already know the answer. I take this as a no.

John.

I recently (before) lockdown had a cheque to put in the bank. When I got the nice man explained I could have deposited it by phone banking. Since then I have. The banking app gets you to photograph both sides of the cheque and then it is deposited electronically. Just keep hold of the paper cheque until it has cleared. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, olliesgrandad said:

I recently (before) lockdown had a cheque to put in the bank. When I got the nice man explained I could have deposited it by phone banking. Since then I have. The banking app gets you to photograph both sides of the cheque and then it is deposited electronically. Just keep hold of the paper cheque until it has cleared. 

Les,

Thanks. You learn something everyday on this forum.

John