Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

IS200 Sportcross , what to check

Hi,

So a 200 Sportcross has turned up at a dealer near me and very close to where I work...so a viewing wouldn't really be a special journey...

I've read buyers guides and digested the very useful comments but just wondered if anyone had anything else to add that maybe Sportcross specific? 

Its a one owner on 138k with service history and nothing too scary on MOT history . My main concern is rust...I'm not expecting mint condition , but I don't want to be welding it up in 12 months. 

Advisory mentions underbody surface rust which I think is MOT testers covering their arse a bit these days. I'm pretty handy with spanners so can do a bottom joint or service a caliper...

The dealer is offering to get it up on axle stands if I want to have a good nose underneath which is a fair offer I guess . 

Any other comments ? 

Thanks Tony 

the main thing to look at is the sills, near the rear arches as that is a well known area for rusting, get pictures of the said sill area and if there is any sign of bubbling through the stoneguard then it sure will want welding, all the is200 range suffer with this rust area... apart from that they are very good solid cars

Don't forget the cambelt change on the 200 its 60,000 miles or 6 years whichever comes first and possible check brakes for sticking pistons 👍