Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In these strange times, my car is 'resting'.

I trickle charge the Battery regularly.

Put some fuel stabilzer in the tank.

Keep the foot brake off.

Move back or forth 12-18 inches to try to avoid flat spots on the tyres...

we take our cars out alternately to do essential shopping , pharmacy and the like ......  now once a week for each car, Ls400 and the Honda Legend ..........  even that didn't stop the Honda Battery not starting the other day ...... new in August 2018 and new alternator a few months ago too ............ sodding cars ................  but the beautiful Lexus seems to be fine with it's once a week outing thankfully ...  long may the cars stay safe and " in order " and be ok with their " resting up "

Malc

I Social Distanced with my neighbour who put the Honda Battery on trickle charge overnight for me in his workshop ...  good to have kind neighbours :yes:

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 10:53 AM, PCM said:

I trickle charge the battery regularly.

Keep the foot brake off.

Mine is testing in a storage facility. They are running a top up Battery conditioner on the 12v Battery.

However, now I'm thinking about it, I'm a little concerned about the hybrid Battery. Does anyone know what happens to it if unused/uncharged for a period of time (months)?

27 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

This is Lexus doc on battery maintenance during storage

Maintainace of hybrid battery.pdf 408.77 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks for that. It's very nearly 2 months since it went into storage, and was sitting for a couple of weeks before that. I suppose I should ask the storage people to run through the 30 minutes of READY process to charge up the hybrid Battery.

I wonder what will happen if the hybrid Battery goes completely flat? I'm guessing it will be a non-starter.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Farnham Dave said:

I wonder what will happen if the hybrid battery goes completely flat? I'm guessing it will be a non-starter

It will indeed be a non-starter but you'll have to call out the dealership or other suitably qualified company with the special gear to get it going. The traction Battery is approximately 288v and people like the AA and RAC etc., can't deal wth that.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Herbie said:

It will indeed be a non-starter but you'll have to call out the dealership or other suitably qualified company with the special gear to get it going. The traction battery is approximately 288v and people like the AA and RAC etc., can't deal wth that.

23 hours ago, NemesisUK said:

This is Lexus doc on battery maintenance during storage

Maintainace of hybrid battery.pdf 408.77 kB · 3 downloads

I am now a very happy bunny. Turns out I picked a really good storage company. They read up on it before receiving the car, and have been doing the correct routine monthly! 

• Like 4

On 5/2/2020 at 10:53 AM, PCM said:

I trickle charge the battery regularly.

Keep the foot brake off.

For several years my GS rested connected to a Solar Charger for periods of up to 3 months while I was away in Spain.

No problem.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

For several years my GS rested connected to a Solar Charger for periods of up to 3 months while I was away in Spain.

No problem.

I'm guessing it was newer at the time, so the hybrid Battery was probably less fussy. My RX is nearly 14 years old, which is probably old for any Battery technology, so I'm erring on the side of caution.

• Like 2