Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Yet again I have been thinking of getting a newer model Celsior, I have owned mine now for over 14 years, the longest I have ever kept a car and have never had a major problem with it. It still hasn’t clocked up 100k miles, continues to pass the MOT and still looks good apart from the front seats which are now showing their age.

It also spends most of the time in the garage, does less than 2000 miles a year, is cheap to insure and owes me nothing but I’m bored with it finally.

I’m looking at this one in the link but the problem is that it is 170 miles away on the southern side of London.

I am presently in touch with the seller but are there any members locally who could take an initial look at it should things progress?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2001-TOYOTA-CELSIOR-LEXUS-LS430-4-3L-V8-MERCEDES-S-CLASS-BMW-7-SERIES-AUDI-A8/133388672783?item=133388672783&pageci=09018f94-7890-428d-a7c4-59a93197ece3&redirect=mobile

bit odd coz the other day I saw one advertised too, not sure if it might have been this one ...  very recently imported, can't remember the detail other than it was the colour, not sure about the mileage nor anything else

BUT

that one was clearly being advertised by our Lexuschap Dudley trader 😲

do these newly imported cars " do the rounds " with traders at all I wonder ............  either in reality or even now, with lockdown, virtually 

Malc

Coulsdon is about 1.5hrs down the M20 / M25 / M23 etc for me

Very interested to know why a celsior and not a lexus? I know there are few differences but what is it that makes you choose this way? Is it that the imports are lower mileage?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

54 minutes ago, Malc said:

bit odd coz the other day I saw one advertised too, not sure if it might have been this one ...  very recently imported, can't remember the detail other than it was the colour, not sure about the mileage nor anything else

BUT

that one was clearly being advertised by our Lexuschap Dudley trader 😲

do these newly imported cars " do the rounds " with traders at all I wonder ............  either in reality or even now, with lockdown, virtually 

Malc

Coulsdon is about 1.5hrs down the M20 / M25 / M23 etc for me

You’ve got me thinking now Malc,

The Dudley one has disappeared, as you mention same colour but for the life of me I can’t remember the registration number.

Did anyone get a screen shot when it was listed?

58 minutes ago, lex - eleven said:

Very interested to know why a celsior and not a lexus? I know there are few differences but what is it that makes you choose this way? Is it that the imports are lower mileage?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

They are as you mention generally lower mileage, well looked after and in better condition than UK cars, no road salt helps along with the warmer climate, usually 1 or 2 previous owners.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The-Acre said:

If you are interested I'm 50 minutes away from Coulsdon.

Thanks for the offer Phil I will get back to you.

Just trying to find out if this is the Dudley motor, I don’t think it is because the seller seems very plausible, the MOT history seems to check out and it was a personal import bought while he was working in Japan.

Cam belt was done at 84,000 with sticker on cover.

Not wanting to get ahead of myself but I'd be quite interested in what you decide to do with the car you're bored of... :wink:

And actually I can't say I've seen pictures of your Celsior.

27 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Thanks for the offer Phil I will get back to you.

Just trying to find out if this is the Dudley motor, I don’t think it is because the seller seems very plausible, the MOT history seems to check out and it was a personal import bought while he was working in Japan.

Cam belt was done at 84,000 with sticker on cover.

I know I've mentioned this before but I can't help thinking for a little more money the other white one on eBay would be a better choice. It's got 36k on it, has the speedo converted to mph, has conventional suspension and will have the auction sheet.  I notice it also has a backup camera.  He doesn't shift cars like this very quickly and I wouldn't be surprised if he would take 5k.

2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Not wanting to get ahead of myself but I'd be quite interested in what you decide to do with the car you're bored of... :wink:

And actually I can't say I've seen pictures of your Celsior.

It will be going up for sale, of course LOC members will get first chance at a discount and then it will be put up on the usual selling sites.

You have never seen a picture of my Celsior? Here we go then.

0DCE4B57-0BAE-44FF-AE7D-6C92246FD81E.jpeg

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

I know I've mentioned this before but I can't help thinking for a little more money the other white one on eBay would be a better choice. It's got 36k on it, has the speedo converted to mph, has conventional suspension and will have the auction sheet.  I notice it also has a backup camera.  He doesn't shift cars like this very quickly and I wouldn't be surprised if he would take 5k.

I’m also considering this option Phil like you say a bit more money but comeback if something major happens, I am also looking at importing one myself.

This is the price shipped into Bristol with A1 condition.

https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-toyota-celsior-2003-for-sale-5e754d8313518deb9ce64178

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

It will be going up for sale, of course LOC members will get first chance at a discount and then it will be put up on the usual selling sites.

That's rather nice. So that's effectively a late MK2 LS? Any real difference in terms of spec?

3 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I’m also considering this option Phil like you say a bit more money but comeback if something major happens, I am also looking at importing one myself.

This is the price shipped into Bristol with A1 condition.

https://carfromjapan.com/cheap-used-toyota-celsior-2003-for-sale-5e754d8313518deb9ce64178

I've notice the JDM pre facelift Celsior has all walnut rather than brushed aluminium like the UK LS, personally I prefer all wood.

11 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Oh wow that is nice, looks like the one in the street fighter game. Nice colour too

1 hour ago, Greer said:

Steve, you said getting rid of it >because< your bored with it not because you are a gov recognized 'key worker' needing it for your 'key' work..............................just so your up to date with the gov thinking of the country you live in............https://bit.ly/2z0HaEj

Everything is on hold at the moment due to the present crisis so don’t worry I am not considering travelling anywhere unnecessary (which buying a used car certainly is) or asking anyone else to view for me.

If the cars are still for sale when life returns to some sort of normality then I may continue on my quest, until that time the Celsior continues to reside in the garage and my ‘essential key worker” van on the drive.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rich1068 said:

That's rather nice. So that's effectively a late MK2 LS? Any real difference in terms of spec?

A few extras but this is a B spec, if you want the full toy box you need the C-F package which has factory Sat Nav, rear heated massage reclining seats and rear AC amongst others.

You will also notice that there is no sun roof and external radio aerial as this is integrated into the heated rear window.

• Like 1

Steve, a proud looking Ls400 / Celsior ..  she looks a beaut ..........  well done :thumbsup:

The import celsior you reference cif at @£4k........ landed and flown into Bristol airport too .....  where I presume there's all the necessary DVLA stuff or whatever to deal with the logistics etc to get the car freed up to travel to you all UK imported fully etc

sounds a very interesting proposition

I'd find this process a bit scary just in case your money fly's but the car doesn't

Malc

21 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

A few extras but this is a B spec, if you want the full toy box you need the C-F package which has factory Sat Nav, rear heated massage reclining seats and rear AC amongst others.

You will also notice that there is no sun roof and external radio aerial as this is integrated into the heated rear window.

I think more pictures are required...:wink:

And I'm sure I've seen that car in Sheffield. Possible?

32 minutes ago, Malc said:

Steve, a proud looking Ls400 / Celsior ..  she looks a beaut ..........  well done :thumbsup:

The import celsior you reference cif at @£4k........ landed and flown into Bristol airport too .....  where I presume there's all the necessary DVLA stuff or whatever to deal with the logistics etc to get the car freed up to travel to you all UK imported fully etc

sounds a very interesting proposition

I'd find this process a bit scary just in case your money fly's but the car doesn't

Malc

Having looked into this further the CIF price includes the price of the car, inspection and freight to the UK port. Once it arrives you then have Port Fees, a 10% import duty of the CIF price AND then 20% VAT on everything. So at say £4K we then have £4.4K then 20% of that again on top without other fees. We are now at £5.3K before you leave the port. It then needs an MOT and registering with the DVDA.....more fees.

Also you need a rear fog light fitted for the UK and the speedo conversion. This still leaves you with a Sat Nav directing you around Osaka and a radio receiving one or 2 UK FM stations.

The only way around this is to go to Japan, buy it there, stay for 6 months then bring it back as a personal import when there are no import or VAT charges.

So when you see these JDM imports around the £6-7K mark there can’t be a lot of profit in them although I would imagine the “trade” price is lower than public purchases.

BTW Malc the cars are shipped not flown...I wouldn’t fancy the excess baggage charge with Nippon Airlines

😀

”I’ve come to collect my car”.......”Do you know which one it’s in?”

6814B60A-5CE7-48A0-AFC5-AAB02D05B06F.jpeg

ah yes, by ship ..........  well I see plenty of brand new imported cars coming off the ships at Sheerness ... seems to be a major car import port ....  and the local car body shops always on hand for remedial challenges once the cars have arrived................  maybe a one-off individual import might be ok with being bubble wrapped etc ..............  what would I know  ! :unsure:

Think I'd rather see one in the flesh arrived and ready to go on the UK roads, even if it means I've lined the pockets of someone professed in this trade

challenges all round methinks

Malc

I don’t know which way to go, I’d like a change of car to something newer but I know this one inside out and never had any major expenditure with it.

The LS430 goes from a stainless steel exhaust to mild steel and we know they rot the back boxes, the windows delaminate and there is a rust problem on the doors behind the trim. JDM models tend to live a better life in Japan and if you spend some time on it you can prevent these things happening before they do. Having a garage certainly helps fights rust and corrosion as does a yearly underbody wash.

and you have just about " perfection " already ......  spend your spare money on a damned good holiday ...........  when you can, in about 3 years from now maybe:unsure:

Malc 

you'll always have a huge Q of guys wanting to buy your cast-off though for sure

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

I don’t know which way to go, I’d like a change of car to something newer but I know this one inside out and never had any major expenditure with it.

The LS430 goes from a stainless steel exhaust to mild steel and we know they rot the back boxes, the windows delaminate and there is a rust problem on the doors behind the trim. JDM models tend to live a better life in Japan and if you spend some time on it you can prevent these things happening before they do. Having a garage certainly helps fights rust and corrosion as does a yearly underbody wash.

Is that always the case I wonder. Mine has a stainless factory exhaust and the windows are not "double glazed" as some describe it, so mine won't delaminate.  When mine was up on a ramp 3 months ago I was told it's like a 2-3 year old underneath, a fresh import is definitely the way to go in my opinion.