Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Electronic parking brake

Ok, I get that the electronic parking brake will disengage as you depress the accelerator, but I have not noticed any buttons to apply the brake.  Embarrassed to ask but, does it automatically engage when park is selected?

Apologies for this and no doubt many stupid questions to come.

EDIT: I don't own it yet just deciding what to buy! lol As the is300h drifts swiftly down the hill!

Hi Phooey,

The IS300h does not have an electronic parking brake, instead it has a foot brake. Never had a problem with it, as long as you use it regularly otherwise it could seize up.

Just now, bobusa said:

Hi Phooey,

The IS300h does not have an electronic parking brake, instead it has a foot brake. Never had a problem with it, as long as you use it regularly otherwise it could seize up.

That explains everything.  I tried searching and found nothing.  I feel like a dumb 17 year old again learning which end the boot is. lol

Some people like the electronic parking brake I a car, I'm not one of them! I have one in a volvo v70 and if there was a way to change it to a lever I would! 

The foot brake on the is is rarelyey used

2 minutes ago, bobusa said:

No worries! Ask away, that's where this forum is for. Have you made a choice yet on a car?

I have found three.  One in Bristol, the white one, one in Swindon, also white and a black one in Cardiff.

I think it's between the Swindon and Bristol to be honest.  Overall the Swindon car has a bit more in the way of extras but lacks a couple of basics like front fog lights and electric seat adjustment.

https://bristol.usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/Is-Saloon/300h-Advance-4dr-CVT-Auto-u3b76uj

https://swindon.usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/Is-Saloon/300h-Executive-Edition-4dr-CVT-Auto-qxcakh2

I'm used to using the foot brake and think it's better for the transmission as it takes out the car movement if on an incline. You're better of using it if you plan to keep the car longer, this prefents it from rusting and thus seizing up.

1 hour ago, Phooey said:

I have found three.  One in Bristol, the white one, one in Swindon, also white and a black one in Cardiff.

I think it's between the Swindon and Bristol to be honest.  Overall the Swindon car has a bit more in the way of extras but lacks a couple of basics like front fog lights and electric seat adjustment.

https://bristol.usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/Is-Saloon/300h-Advance-4dr-CVT-Auto-u3b76uj

https://swindon.usedcars.lexus.co.uk/en/used-lexus/Lexus/Is-Saloon/300h-Executive-Edition-4dr-CVT-Auto-qxcakh2

The Bristol one is pre face-lift and the Swindon one post-facelift so a number of different standard equipment between the two. 

1 hour ago, bobusa said:

use it regularly otherwise it could seize up. 

Handbrake will sieze up if not used, usually takes a fair few years though. 

I only tend to using P when in traffic, and then when parked up always P and handbrake (only because when I first owned an Auto, I got a bit 'sloppy', and once parked my car in Bath on a hill, and open the car door, put my right foot on the road and felt the car lurch backwards, luckily managed to get my left foot on the brake in time.  Did it twice more (in gently sloping car parks, and so gave my self a good telling off and got into the P & handbrake mode of action).

When spending time in USA, never made such mistakes, so not quite sure why owning my first auto in UK, my brain went doo-lally.

Have owned electronic handbrake cars, really dislike them, never really felt in control.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wharfhouse said:

The Bristol one is pre face-lift and the Swindon one post-facelift so a number of different standard equipment between the two. 

Get the post face lift, I believe these came with the old 'safety kit' as standard so things like adaptive cruise control.

2 hours ago, Phooey said:

Overall the Swindon car has a bit more in the way of extras but lacks a couple of basics like front fog lights and electric seat adjustment.

The adaptive cruise control on the face-lift car is something I'd like to have.

On the other hand, I quite like the leather seats on the pre-facelift one.

Front fog lights are nice to have but I've only ever used mine about twice. And electric seat adjustment is useful if you have several drivers using the car. But if it's just one driver, it's not a vital feature.

26 minutes ago, ganzoom said:

Get the post face lift, I believe these came with the old 'safety kit' as standard so things like adaptive cruise control.

Yeah I definitely prefer that one.  I suppose I can get used to manually adjusting my seat again lol

Fog lamps would have been useful though!

The older one should have had its first MOT at the end of October 2019 but it hasn't been done yet. Maybe it was stored for a couple of months. First reference I can find to it being up for sale is in January 2020. All of which suggests they might like to sell it soon and be open to lower offers.

The newer one hasn't had its first MOT yet either but that's understandable given that it was due in March.

15 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

The adaptive cruise control on the face-lift car is something I'd like to have.

On the other hand, I quite like the leather seats on the pre-facelift one.

Front fog lights are nice to have but I've only ever used mine about twice. And electric seat adjustment is useful if you have several drivers using the car. But if it's just one driver, it's not a vital feature.

I think I'm leaning more towards the face-lift.  So £18644, what would you think is a good offer just so they know I'm interested and seriously looking but also want a good deal?

2 minutes ago, Thackeray said:

The older one should have had its first MOT at the end of October 2019 but it hasn't been done yet. Maybe it was stored for a couple of months. First reference I can find to it being up for sale is in January 2020. All of which suggests they might like to sell it soon and be open to lower offers.

The newer one hasn't had its first MOT yet either but that's understandable given that it was due in March.

I'm thinking because business has been slow for a few weeks during lockdown any decent sale would be grabbed!  

Not sure this is the best place to discuss prices! They probably read this forum themselves. Having said that it might be worth getting a feel for how much the other car might be discounted. Maybe make them an offer on the website and see how they react? Then you have a better feel for prices when you make an offer for the newer one. Or just email and ask them what their best price would be. You could always then offer lower if you were at all interested. (I'm assuming you're not making any commitment when you send them a price enquiry but you could always read the small print.)

It might be worth keeping in mind that some businesses are close to going bankrupt (eg British Airways, Virgin Atlantic) and may be even more desperate in coming months when many of their potential customers may be out of a job. In the 2008 financial crisis I was looking at buying a new Toyota Avensis and the local dealer had some newly delivered cars, still in their protective coatings they were desperate to turn into cash. I can't remember the exact figures but they offered me a new car for around £8,000 cash, plus my car in part exchange (valued at around £3,000) for an Avensis whose list price was around £15,000 or just under. Actually, I decided against. But I think they must have been offering to sell virtually at cost price.

Good point, Sir.

I'll email my interest then and perhaps I could ask for their best price with a commitment to come and view as soon as we are 'let out of jail'.

And, what with the interest rates so low at the moment they might even prefer that I am a cash buyer.  Money straight in the bank for them.

2 hours ago, Phooey said:

Yeah I definitely prefer that one.  I suppose I can get used to manually adjusting my seat again lol

Fog lamps would have been useful though!

The facelift ones do have fog lamps, just not separate.

2 hours ago, Derant said:

The facelift ones do have fog lamps, just not separate.

Oh really?  Nothing listed in the spec!   Face lift it is then … I've always fancied a facelift.  😄