Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

450H Power Steering Noise

I have a Lexus 450H of 2006 vintage!

When I turn the steering wheel I get a noise presumably from the power steering pump. Is this a fluid issue or a replacement issue? Where is the fluid top up if there is one? Where would I get a new pump from and is there another Toyota model that uses the same pump that might be easier to get via Euro Car Parts or Halfords? (Modge in Essex England). Many thanks.

Hi Lorne, welcome to the forum.

I think you'll find that the hybrid GS has an electric power steering system rather than hydraulic.

Can you explain the noise you experience when turning?

Regards, Lee

Hi Lee,

Thanks. I've been on here for a while but not actively participated until now. I think I had to re-sign up having lost my original log in details

It's the kind of sound I might expect if there is a brake disc stone protector plate that is rubbing against something as I steer. It is not sharp metallic. More a whirr! I do not have to steer much and it happens if I steer in either direction. I am quite practical and mechanically minded and don't mind jacking the car up or lifting the bonnet to check out further if need be.

Cheers..

Lorne

Lorne. As Lee correctly states the power steering on the GS450H is electrically powered. The drive motor is mounted on the steering column. It may be that after 14 years the grease on the gears has dried up causing the noise, and re-greasing may well cure the problem. While your in the area it would be prudent to grease the steering height, and reach mechanism as this is prone to the same sort of problems leading to the mechanism seizing. 
Used steering columns are available, and cheap on the "BAY" if replacement is required. Lexus undoubtedly would charge more than the car is worth for a replacement. 
Strictly speaking after carrying out any work on the steering "including suspension, and tracking work" the steering should be "zero point calibrated" using Techstream to complete the process.

John.

• Like 1

Hi John and Co,

I am a dab hand with car mechanics but the Lexus is new to me. Is there a workshop manual out there I can get to give me a clue? I know Lexus are basically a luxury version of Toyota and wondered if I could get a Haynes manual or similar so I can pull it to bits more easily! Mine is the 2006 GS 450H. The wirring noise seems to only take place from the LHS front. There is no sign of the wheels being the cause of the problem.I wondered whether there is a brake disc guard that when turning is distorting slightly and scraping against the disc or similar.

Cheers folks.

Lorne