Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Same here,how diesels apparently pollute less than petrol I will never understand,I have even asked a few mot testers who don't understand either(nor the tax classification's either),a lot of politics involved too🤔

2 hours ago, Ardent said:

Just had a quick skim round. A lot seems to revolve around when 1st registration.  Diff values for same model

To get the lower rates the car has to have been registered before 1 April 2017. This is when the government introduced the new car tax rates.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-vehicle-tax-rates-from-1-april-2017

These are the rates from 2001 until March 2017.

Our 2015 Premier spec has the added 'safety kit' has pretty much every toy you want, including lane departure warning, blind spot monitoring, emergency braking assist, auto high beam and adaptive cruise control. Even a brand new 2020 showroom car today will not offer much more extra :).

Memory seats only on Premier spec, though from memory you could add it as optional extra on F Sport back in 2014/15??

The only thing missing is a heated steering wheel, which annoying Lexus fits for 'colder' climate countries but not the UK.

Our 2015 car is £20/year tax.

The 450H RX 'pulls' much harder than a IS300H but you pay the price at the pumps!!

25594457945_0cc7aebd21_c_d.jpg

On 5/4/2020 at 11:10 PM, Ardent said:

Now the 0-60 is nothing special. But, is there any carry over from G2 Prius. in that the 0-30 0-40 is dispatched very quickly? 

I recorded this a while ago, not world changing and not a great noise, but the IS300H isn't slow.

Infact your find at higher speeds the chassis is very good, the damping excellent and you can carry alot of speed into corners on our poorly surface B roads. 

The IS300H has one of the best stock suspension setups of any car I've owned, only my old DC2 Integra Type R was a better B road traversing machine.

However if you really do push the engine on the IS300H, you will see what the reviewers are talking about with lag and the gear box. The chassis may be fantastic at letting you carry speed into a corner with confidence, but the power delivery/control out of a corner just isnt there. 

This isn't an issue most people will care or even notice (my wife doesn't), so I wouldn't let that put you off. Especially if you are comparing it to a Priuis which will be worse.

• Like 1

Thats interesting about the chassis setup. Rather an unexpected bonus.

I like B roads. Esp in my other car. MK3 MR2 Roadster with a rare TTE turbo kit.

11 hours ago, Mincey said:

Absolutely. I'd like to know why! 

I'm also interested to know why I pay £140/year when my neighbour's 6 year old 3 Series diesel costs £20/year (which he has overlooked paying - oops...). Same amount of nasties come out of the exhaust for each car apparently. 

Even more so when you consider a 10 plate 3.5 litre v6 rx450h is the same.

Plate age does not concern me. But little juxtapositions/quirks like this, do make me smile.

On 5/6/2020 at 11:08 PM, Ardent said:

Dear Chris

Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated. 

I just need to get in one and try now.

There's nothing wrong with the CVT, don't believe the motoring journalists who think acceleration has to be accompanied by a rising, wailing engine note.

My neighbour has a new BMW M140, it sounds like a beast, he loves mutt car, my best mate has owned Porsche Boxters, Nissan 350Z, Audi something similar to Audis and BMW 635 coupe, he drove my IS and was seriously impressed, so much so, I thought he was going to cry.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ROYT said:

CVT designed to fail, check how it works!

Care to elaborate. Then again, I could see this requiring it's own thread.

125k Prius, cvt fine. 151k rx400h, cvt fine.

I’ve had 3 Prius and IS300h, cumulative they have racked up 785,000 miles none of them have ever needed anything more than transmission oil change every 50,000 miles

We’re not dealing with a 1970’s day variomatic anymore

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ROYT said:

Only designed to fail if you had it in a vw audi. Never seen a Toyota one go bang yet. 

And as for the journalists being against cvt I don't understand why! They sing on about how smooth the dsg shifts but it's not as smooth as the cvt! It's certainly more relayable than the dsg or Ford powershift! They seem to be against it because you can't feel the gear change! The whole point of a luxury auto I thought! 

• Like 2

To echo a point made earlier. They bang on about the whine of a cvt but not an engine bouncing off the limiter.

By asking for full throttle maximum acceleration. The ICE goes to max output and rev limit and stays there. Very efficient. In the mean time the CVT does it's thing to bring the road speed up to the desired/appropriate level seamlessly. The moment the desired speed is achieved. Foot off the accelerator, and lightly back on, ICE revs plummet. CVT again adjusts to maintain speed. Now in virtual silence as ICE is maybe doing  1450rpm  @ 70mph (rx400h)

By asking for full throttle maximum acceleration. The ICE goes to max output which is likely to be making far more noise, then a change of gear is required and the process starts again, regaining the lost revs due to the change.  The moment the desired speed is achieved. Foot off the accelerator, and lightly back on, ICE revs reduce. ICE is maybe doing  3000rpm  @ 70mph. Obviously talking petrol not diesel as Lexus do not do diesel.

Does the CVT whine or is it the ICE? But how long does it last? Once up to speed. Noises off. Can the same be said for traditional, normal box, DSG or other wise.

Talking to the converted here. But just needed to air that.

Horses for courses. The IS is about luxury and arriving in style. (side observation, how few I have seen on the road. 1. Exclusivity!) I don't even have one yet, but I get it. I like my creature comforts. But, I am also happy listening to my MR2 (even fewer) sing it's own song.

Edit

Once the penny dropped in the Prius. CVT = linear delivery. In my urban commute world, 0-30 0-40 far more relevant than 0-60. To pull away from the lights and arrive at 30 - 40 seamlessly just gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. The Prius,viewed by many as the slowest car in the world. Er, nope. I'm at the regulation speed before many have even grabbed for 2nd. Too late.  Nothing to do with racing, but just sitting there at the lights, no ICE, utter silence and  then 400nm of torque (if required) from 0 revs silently delivered in a linear manner.  To think that was a 1.5

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ardent said:

As the IS is predominately a luxury vehicle. Anyone use the paddle shifts and care to flesh out when or why you do?

I used mine for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I soon realised that it was pretty much pointless and won't be bothering again. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ROYT said:

The IS300H doesn't have a CVT!!

You should check out how plantery gears work:).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ganzoom said:

The IS300H doesn't have a CVT!!

You should check out how plantery gears work:).

Mine appears to have CVT:

image.png.9d95c61cd85f8ca4d096fcab49c41e1e.png

1 hour ago, Mincey said:

Mine appears to have CVT:

image.png.9d95c61cd85f8ca4d096fcab49c41e1e.png

It is called CVT and it is a continuously variable transmission  but it is in fact a planetary gear system, I must admit when I started looking for a Lexus and I saw CVT I was immediately reminded of the old DAF system which if I remember right was a couple of cones with a belt, Completely different to Lexus. CVT does reflect the output correctly though, it’s either one gear or if you like an infinite number of gears. The number of moving parts though is very small compared to a conventional box so by default should be more reliable 

You know, that has been bothering me. I too was thinking of belts (and the possible urban myth that the DAF with CVT went just as fast backwards as it did forwards...). I've done a bit of investigation which I probably should have done first and found this https://blog.lexus.co.uk/perfect-partners-e-cvt-and-hybrid/ which explained the IS CVT a little more clearly to me and answered @ganzoom's point about planetary gears. Every day is a school day!

• Like 1

As the IS is predominately a luxury vehicle. Anyone use the paddle shifts and care to flesh out when or why you do?

Where I live we have some fairly steep hills, at the bottom of the hill I knock the gearlever into manual and use the paddles to go up to the gears as I climb up the hill. I find I have greater control over the gearbox and therefore a smoother run up the hill

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

I must admit that I didn't bother too much with the paddles in my IS250 either. I might have used them more if there had been a blip on the downchange like the Alfa 1somethingorother had. The gear lever having the upshift and downshift the wrong way round was a disappointment too. A good point about hills @Jayw13702 but living in the Fens, the closest I get to hills are on and off ramps to dual carriageways/motorways and multi storey car parks, which I avoid now due to their appetite for alloy wheel rims.

39 minutes ago, Mincey said:

You know, that has been bothering me. I too was thinking of belts (and the possible urban myth that the DAF with CVT went just as fast backwards as it did forwards...). I've done a bit of investigation which I probably should have done first and found this https://blog.lexus.co.uk/perfect-partners-e-cvt-and-hybrid/ which explained the IS CVT a little more clearly to me and answered @ganzoom's point about planetary gears. Every day is a school day!

I found the same vid last night. I also tend to think the E often gets dropped in conversation.  E-CVT and CVT are not the same, but used interchangeably. I believe the e-cvt in the new corolla is slightly different again. A sort of actual 1st gear before transitioning to normal.