Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Smart keys and wireless phone chargers

About a week ago I bought a wireless phone charger to go in the IS300h, looked on amazon and found one that had good feedback and was a stick down one as I didn’t want one that hung off the air vents

So I fitted it, checked it all worked and then parked the car for a few days in the garage.

Couple of days later I went to get the car out and whilst it started it flashed up that keys were not in the car, my first thought was the Battery in the key was running low.

Holding the key against the power button and the warning went away.

Yesterday some new cr2032 batteries were fitted to the keys and again it worked without any issues, however I didn’t realise that the power lead for the wireless charger has been disconnected.

This morning got in the car, started the car no problem, reconnected the power lead on the charger unit and went to the fuel station. Filled up and then tried to start the car, again it flashed up the message that the keys were not in the car, even when they were in my pocket as they normally are.

So after some messing about back at home, jumping in and out of the car etc. It appears that the wireless charger interferes with the signal between the key and the power button

Every day’s a school day as they say

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

So it appears that the wireless charging creates a magnetic field around the charger/phone, as a result I have a feeling that this is what is causing the issue and stopping the car from “seeing” my smart key

You are correct.  Wireless charging always generates a magnetic field.   If you pass a small compass by any wire with a current running through it you will detect a magnetic field.  Conversely, if you can generate a magnetic field around a wire (placing a wire through a circular magnet for example) you will detect a current through the wire.

• Like 1

bb6896b3c46d9c3c6fec40340adcd8e8.jpg&key=118a2294b85c48740ea7c779f3051ac46cf9e52f3214ec809538300e81fc40e6

I have tried it the other side of the speedo binnacle and still it interfered with the keys, the moment it’s disconnected normality is resumed

i wonder if this is why lexus fit the wireless charger in the nx under the arm rest in the centre console to prevent this from happening

is this the way to protect your car at night by placing your keys next to a wireless charger

so the signal cannot be detected

• Like 1

Interesting! I was going to get a wireless charger to go on my phone holder. It could also explain why I didn't get a reply from the holder's manufacturer when I sent them my brilliant idea of including a Qi charger in their product. That has saved me a few quid. I think I'll stick with the charging lead.

Incidentally, in my IS250, I once had a sweaty moment when the car wouldn't start. I thought about what I'd done prior to pressing the Start button and unplugged my phone from the USB charger in the cigarette lighter thing. Button pressed again and broom, off she went.