Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Took the plunge!

J88TEO

Changed the plugs, a bit of a struggle!,  a set of Denso FK20HBR11 and engine is much responsive.

I suspect the sparkies were never changed in her entire life!

Rear shocks arrived yeaterday so decided to tackle this job. Seized nuts and bolts! A can of PlusGas, let it soak into the nuts and bolrs and 4 hours later all done.

Handling and ride ...smooth and firm.

Next job - the exhaust....

Had time to crawl under the car yesterday and look into the exhaust leak....quite bad...

So the question: Longlife stainless steel system at £899.00 ( very near my place )

OR

1. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Catalyzer-Exhaust-Centre-Y-Pipe-Silencer-LEXUS-Mk-3-GS-300-350-430-460-450h/312894090019?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 £360.00

and 

2. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-Lexsus-GS-300-350-450-3-0-2005-2011-exhaust-system-5277/324050043695?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 £175.00

Total £535.00.

Thanks.

After putting in so much effort to replace the missing parts etc this Lexi has become a labour of love.

So yes...stainless steel exhaust system it will be...

Will update when I get an appointment to discuss the system with Longlife.

Cheers.

Drive seat has a bad tear ... the proforated leather on the seat back was badly torn. Tried contacting some upholstery repair shops and price quoted is eye watering! Managed to source a used one from fleabay. Picked up and replace...Lexi is now looking good. Only the B pillar trim to do...again the cover is damaged. I order some upholstery vinyl and the colour match is perfect. Wating for the spray on glue to tuen up.... 

Happy with my progress so far....

• Like 1

Did a temp. repair to the leaking exhaust and silence!

Took her on a 120 mile return journey this lunch time and what a bliss...enjoyed the ML sound system without exhaust noise!

Getting to experience how silent the GS should be....

Must say I am very pleased with this purchase....a cheap entry to Lexus world ( though I did owned a Harrier 2.4 the last 8 years.)

Only thing left to do - change the transmission and rear axle oil,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2020 at 10:35 PM, J88TEO said:

Rear shocks arrived yeaterday so decided to tackle this job. Seized nuts and bolts! A can of PlusGas, let it soak into the nuts and bolrs and 4 hours later all done.

Handling and ride ...smooth and firm.

Next job - the exhaust....

Some photos of shock change...

Rear shocks 1.JPG

Rear shocks 2.JPG

Rear shocks 3.JPG

Rear shocks.JPG

Shocks - I changed the front in one morning, taking into account seized nuts and bolts and giving the PlusGas time to soak in. Rear was longer as you have more trims to remove from the boot and well as the liners on the arches. There are 2 bolts on the tumpets(?) that can only be seen with the liners off.

Wings - just one morning. Again taking my time not to scratech the doors or break any plastic bits.

All doable if you take your time...

• 2 weeks later...

Changed the steering wheel yesterday...easy job.

Disconnect the negative terminal and waited 30+ minutes. Removed the airbag ( 2 trox 30 screws at the side of the s/wheel ( removing the 2 plastic covers first ). Disconnect the airbag connectors and the 2 connectors for ancillary controls. 19mm socket and loosen the nut..while pulling the steering wheel with my knees and one hand, tap the nut with a hammer and off came the steering wheel ( make sure not to remove the nut completely or risk damaging the thread or worse still, having the steering wheel in your face 🙂 ). 

Replaced the leather clad s/wheel with a black "wood" and leather one off the fleabay...to match the interior black "wood". I like the look and feel of the "new s/wheel!

Happy days.... some more minor works and then its wash and polish time...