Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Took the plunge!

J88TEO

Been considering the IS250 auto for the last 10 months or so but finally bought a 55 GS300.

Took delivery  last month and getting to know the car.

Some comestic works to tidy her up but otherwise she is OK.

Cheers

1 hour ago, J88TEO said:

Been considering the IS250 auto for the last 10 months or so but finally bought a 55 GS300.

Took delivery  last month and getting to know the car.

Some comestic works to tidy her up but otherwise she is OK.

Cheers

Pictures?

Apologies ... took a little while to figure out how to attach the photo.

Generally in good condition - a few things to sort out:

Front shocks are gone - ordered a set of KYBs from Autodoc.

NS wheel arch cover - damaged  - used part from breakers

Engine bay cover LH/RH missing - used parts from breakers

Damaged wing mirrors - result of parking in narrow streets - again used set from breakers

Tool tray - missing the small bit that attaches to the main tray - again from breakers

Wheel arch lips - both sides showing signs of rust so needs looking into.

Exhaust blowing in mid section - so need to dismantle and weld or replace....Stainless steel?

That's the main bits, and of course light scratches on the paintwork ( it's a 15 year old car! )

GS300 mk3.JPG

• Like 1

same colour and interior combo as mine 🙂 a few touch ups here and there and they look a beast of a car.. they're sure nice to cruise around in..

Hello Joe and welcome to the LOC.

You’ve wisely chosen the best way to go with replacement parts when it comes to new Lexus prices for them, fortunately they are reliable so you generally won’t need many.

Rusty wheel arches could be a build up of road salt enhanced mud behind the lips, I usually get in there with a hose pipe and brush then apply sealant to prevent further spread.

The exhaust is not stainless if standard, those days passed by after 2000 on the LS400 models, at least it’s easier to weld.

Hi Joe, that's a nice looking GS and she'll be glad you found her with all your updates.

The exhausts do seem to start failing after 10 years or so, mine did and I (along with others) went for a custom stainless exhaust (by Tony Banks, Leeds) rather than pay the high dealer price.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers, Lee

2 hours ago, rich1068 said:

Every day is a school day. I assumed these MK3 GS300s carried over the 2JZ-GE but it's the 3GR-FSE isn't it?

Welcome Joe!

Yes the 3GR-FSE.

3 hours ago, noby76 said:

same colour and interior combo as mine 🙂 a few touch ups here and there and they look a beast of a car.. they're sure nice to cruise around in..

Interrior is grey...I find the black leather too dark for my liking.

2 hours ago, scudney said:

Hello Joe and welcome to the LOC,hoping you find it informative and educational,not a bad looking car for its age 👍

Thanks.

Yes...this forum is very informative and educational...

Had trouble getting the Bluetooth to work but managed after readiing the manual a few times!

Same for the SatNav...not the easiest to use 😀

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Farqui said:

Hi Joe, that's a nice looking GS and she'll be glad you found her with all your updates.

The exhausts do seem to start failing after 10 years or so, mine did and I (along with others) went for a custom stainless exhaust (by Tony Banks, Leeds) rather than pay the high dealer price.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers, Lee

Found the hole so will weld this up and see how long it last....

Longlife in Wallington, Surrey is closest to me.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Hello Joe and welcome to the LOC.

You’ve wisely chosen the best way to go with replacement parts when it comes to new Lexus prices for them, fortunately they are reliable so you generally won’t need many.

Rusty wheel arches could be a build up of road salt enhanced mud behind the lips, I usually get in there with a hose pipe and brush then apply sealant to prevent further spread.

The exhaust is not stainless if standard, those days passed by after 2000 on the LS400 models, at least it’s easier to weld.

I intend to remove the covers and yes.. sealant to the areas.

Alsowill have to learn how to paint to keep the cost down...

Its a nice cruiser. I did considered a Merc or Jag but part prices are expensive!

Cheers.

Looks that way...

I tried re-setting it but no luck.

So looks like either I change the batteries or just get new ones. Understand they need programming (?) 

Cheers.

My side mirrors arrived from Lithuania and replaced both . Now she looks better....

Plastic covers in engine bay installed, new clips in place.

Serviced the engine - oil ( Castrol Edge 0-40 fully synthetic ) and filter ( Toyota ) change. Waiting for plugs to arrive.

While under the car, had a good look at the belt. Slight cracking so will need changing.

Oil leak on the left hand side above the aircon compressor - any idea where from?

Also replaced the NS front wheel arch liner - mine was damaged at the fromt lower so leaving a gaping hole.

More jobs to do - waiting for shocks to arrive. Decided to repace all 4 with KYBs.

Cheers....

Fortunately no....but I haven't driven it much...just getting on with the work needed when I am off...

Enjoying every minute of this ...I used to own a garage 17 years ago in my home country...missed all that!

Picked up the 2 wings, mine were rotten at the top edges..thought of repairing them they are rusted through. 

Not to replace them both.....job for tomorrow and monday, together with the front absorbers.

Changed the front shock absorbers, took me 3 hours to do both sides. She rides smooth now.

Rear will be done next week..

More work in the coming weeks...

3 hours ago, J88TEO said:

Changed the front shock absorbers, took me 3 hours to do both sides. She rides smooth now.

Rear will be done next week..

More work in the coming weeks...

Was it fairly straightforward? Any special tools?

14 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Was it fairly straightforward? Any special tools?

Just a set of heavy duty spring compressor, a ball joint splitter and the usual sockets and spanners.  And plenty of PlusGas (WD40)!

A faily straight forward job.

• Like 1