Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hey Guys,

As I have just restarted the car after a looooong time of it being dormant I am about to go through quite a large amount of refreshing and upgrading of different components as I go. I am going to try and split these between the relevant forums as I have found there isn't that much around on certain things and as the JZS161 is common to Aristo and GS300 I thought going here would be a plan as I bet there are definately more GS than Aristos now. 

So the plan is to pull the entire suspension to pieces and refurb completely, all the way down to the subframe bushes.

I will be replacing everything with poly bushes with perhaps some exceptions however I have no idea if the TRD hardened rubber ones are still around. The car sits on Tein monoflexs which will be coming off and going back to be returned which is the one thing I wont be doing myself as I doubt its economically viable without all the tooling.

At the moment I have the poly bushes, new lower ball joints for the front lowers and the rear uppers are in the post. The ones I am really pondering are the front wishbones which are an assembly. I am considering getting these out and finding a way of replacing but have yet to assess and see what it entails and if there are any similar balljoint assys that I could use if I get the old ones out and have some suitable machining carried out.

Other than that when everything's off I want to get it painted but struggling with what to use at the moment unless I use black paint and I was looking for something a bit louder.

Anyway hopefully I will remember this and put something useful in here and with pictures as I go along

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So managed to crack on today as I now have all the parts and new ball joints sets to fit. Hubs are off both side at the rear and passenger rear is stripped back to the upper rear wishbone due to the fact the boy turned the head on the aft bolt. So tomorrow will be splitting the legslis r zausts stripping out the rest of the drivers side rear then dropping the subframe. Components are all in derust now ready to be wire brushed then tarted up a funky colour (probably end up black). The more I get under it the more I want to do....

Subframe and arms etc are now out of derust and jet washed down, now onto the stripping. I have decided to go with poly subframe bushes and for all those looking for uk source bushes try strongflex. Once I have everything down as far as possible and prepped the lot is getting cold galvanised prior to the first coat of black chassis paint (probably buzzweld) when that's dry the arms will be over sprayed in green. Just going to source a whole new suite of passivated bolts while I am at it

• 2 weeks later...

Making progress now and getting very close to getting it all reassembled and back onto the car.

In hindsight I think I would have just removed the hubs then dropped everything else with the subframe.

The subframe and arms have been cold galvanised and then painted with buzzweld classic chassis gloss or Porsche Acid Green.

Bushes are Prothane for the suspension arms and strongflex for the subframe. 

Removing the bushes was a mix of drilling and hacsawing through before drifting out for the arms and the subframe were burned out with the help of some thinners.

Just need to tart up the diff and get some replacement bolts

Jury is out on replacing the boots with the supplied plly ones

IMG-20200609-WA0000.jpeg

• Like 3

Now in holding pattern until tomorrow for some carbon fibre wrap as I am going to put some wrap onto areas that are more prone to stone chips on the acid green parts (bit like a bike chain protector) and I need Prothane to send me some missing lower arm bushes

• 3 weeks later...

well work got busy and slowed me down but its all now reassembled and on the car again.

Calipers are now acid green as well to compliment the suspension arms and arb. 

Diff back in tomorrow then its on to cleaning up the hubs and cleaning up the brake shields.

For anyone who is thinking of using the prothane kit be very aware that they are not like superpro bushes for the rear lower arms you need to retain the shell in the arm. I had to get some new standard bushes and burn out the rubber and refit the shell. Otherwise the kit in terms of installation is pretty easy.

20200704_175606.jpg

Any pics of the car?

I've looked at your old posts from 2008 with the one pic & noticed you got it a few months after I purchased mine,

I used to be on aristo site before it suffered a melt down

And because we all like pics here's mine

( broke for parts last year)

IMG_20190424_175515.thumb.jpg.a9be9c4cf392d3f03e2009faf7825fef.jpgDSC_2175.thumb.jpg.5ad8dc46423fa7078c4d9f046cbe185c.jpgDSC_2167_2.thumb.jpg.6ddeb99e69608b35bd10888e18146df6.jpgIMG-20170129-WA0015.thumb.jpg.1ef5678f50fc59fc0c2b8b54546d1471.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The car is very tatty at the moment as it has sat for so long without being used hence why I am doing a whole refurbishment of the suspension from the ground up and why its going to get kitted and wrapped eventually. TBH besides the fact lockdown gave me a lot more time it was also because I saw how much aristos were going for, even 2jz-gtes look to be a minimum of 4k. I think I may vaguely remember you from the Wicksteed JAE

Yeah I was there with 2 mates,
Along with lam,Tim,sdjb, to name a few,
I'm sure we called to someone's house who had a silver Aristo can't remember his name but Austin springs to mind,
or if it was snakeroo who took all the pics 5da9afca82ebc1ec319728a3ce996b9b.jpg73efcda71336fa57e8e18106c74794c4.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Nice to see a few names i remember from the aristo forum !! I wish i still had my Aristo unfortunately it had to go due to circumstances 

Has anyone ever put the 2jzgte into a MK3 GS? Ive been thinking of this quite a lot recently 

Anything is possible I keep watching lots of Iron Resurrection and Goyhsm Garage and I really want to put a coyote engine with a blower in or a hellcat crate engine but that's pipe dreams atm. And yes Austin is me