Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Radiator Change Justified (phew!)

My LS 460L is on 135,000 miles so took the advice on this forum to change the radiator. Looking at the pictures of the old one I'm thinking this was a good shout! Whilst I'm at it, I guess I should be replacing the A/C condenser? or should that be ok?

On a side note - TON'S of surface rust and flaky metal below the radiator, only discovered when I removed the sponge / foam that's at the bottom. Surely better to remove this foam and let any condensation dry?

rad3.thumb.jpg.536c2588463ae2600c66f0bbb7e5e8c0.jpgrad4.thumb.jpg.7d852940fb2377a9ba0127170adb907c.jpgrad2.thumb.jpg.47aeed360368496d6f6cc16aae3cdc7c.jpgrad1.thumb.jpg.da45de3884c84db3fd1b5c895e1b73ce.jpg

• Like 2

A very timely move I think!  The AC condenser should be ok, I wouldn't do it unless you have problems.  The sponge always falls apart, I left mine off.

• Thanks 1

Wow, looks like you caught it just in time!

Do they still have the drain tap on the bottom or is that something else that disappeared on later models?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Wow, looks like you caught it just in time!

Do they still have the drain tap on the bottom or is that something else that disappeared on later models?

yup, still the plastic drain tap 

On the GS too. Used it last week and will be using it tomorrow. And on a much younger CT200h I was having a look at. As I mentioned elsewhere, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rich1068 said:

As I mentioned elsewhere, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Unless it's the radiator on the Ls430 and Ls460 every 100k miles or so  .....................  to prevent the inevitable disaster :yes:

Malc

• Like 2

On 5/8/2020 at 4:45 PM, PeterTorbet said:

I guess I should be replacing the A/C condenser? or should that be ok?

Performing preventative maintenance by replacing the radiator is done to prevent the internal transmission oil cooler from failing which results in water entering the transmission and causing damaged.

Nothing to suggest the condenser suffers early failure, and as the AC system is isolated from anything else a failure would do nothing other than stopping the AC system from working - so not a catastrophic failure. You also need to be qualified to work with the AC system gases and can be prosecuted if you fail to stop gases leaking into the atmosphere so not a DIY job.  

• Thanks 1