Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Baby so New Old Car: Advice Buying Used RX400h

Hi All, Now we have a lovely baby and so it’s time to get back on the roads. Can I ask your advice.

We Used to run a Lexus GS300 and plan on finding an RX400h from 2008/9 -looking for one with 50K miles.

What should we check has been fixed and what should we expect to fix at around that 50k mileage on an 11 year old model?

All the ads say ‘new Cam belt fitted’. But there must be loads of other issues?

Wanna take the baby to see the world and not spend a lot of time getting the car fixed.

Thanks a lot

21 minutes ago, SimonDrive said:

Hi All, Now we have a lovely baby and so it’s time to get back on the roads. Can I ask your advice.

We Used to run a Lexus GS300 and plan on finding an RX400h from 2008/9 -looking for one with 50K miles.

What should we check has been fixed and what should we expect to fix at around that 50k mileage on an 11 year old model?

Wanna take the baby to see the world and not spend a lot of time getting the car fixed.

Thanks a lot

The new cam belt is usually just a maintenance issue at 100k service, I usually stick with a full Lexus service history. That should give you piece of mind. What’s your budget if you don’t mind me asking?

Rust on the underside affects the early models due to poor quality undersealing, I'm not aware of any change on later models so they will be at the point where corrosion sets in too.

Check the boot well and rear light clusters for water ingress.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hprice1099 said:

What’s your budget if you don’t mind me asking?

Thanks for this. I just missed 50K miles on an 09 for £8K in good shape (no rattling and full History)

51 minutes ago, ColinBarber said:

Rust on the underside affects the early models due to poor quality undersealing, I'm not aware of any change on later models so they will be at the point where corrosion sets in too.

Check the boot well and rear light clusters for water ingress.

Thank you Both of those tips are really helpful Colin

there's a concurrent'ish post ( or even 2 )  on here somewhere from a guy with a 450h who has just had a dead Inverter ..........  worth checking all that out too if it's possible

It's probably a rare occurrence but with the older age of hybrids now you should at least be aware of the potential issues more fully

Malc

not to rain on your or the hybrids parade at all BUT it can be a jolly expensive problem if you're unfortunate enough to have it land at your bank balance

13 hours ago, SimonDrive said:

Thanks a lot

Service history and condition are everything I'd say. For £8k you'll get a really nice one. Great car with no issues of note. 

7 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

Service history and condition are everything I'd say. For £8k you'll get a really nice one. Great car with no issues of note. 

Defo Rich, Simon there's an 09 RX400h with 74k on the Lexus website for £8395 (get it cheaper) which will come with a 12 month warranty. That can be extented every 2 years for £995 until the car reaches 140k.

• Like 2

That does look nice and top dollar from Lexus themselves but if the warranty is the same as I got when I bought my IS300 then it's incredibly comprehensive and great piece of mind. I assume it includes the breakdown cover too. Service history will be top notch. I know many wouldn't on a car this age but I'd have no problem paying the dealership premium. As I often smugly point out to non-Lexus owning friends, you don't see many 10-15 year old cars on Mercedes and BMW forecourts with 12 months warranty on them.

17 minutes ago, rich1068 said:

That does look nice and top dollar from Lexus themselves but if the warranty is the same as I got when I bought my IS300 then it's incredibly comprehensive and great piece of mind. I assume it includes the breakdown cover too. Service history will be top notch. I know many wouldn't on a car this age but I'd have no problem paying the dealership premium. As I often smugly point out to non-Lexus owning friends, you don't see many 10-15 year old cars on Mercedes and BMW forecourts with 12 months warranty on them.

Agreed there mate, I had an RX400h for two years under warranty. Very little work done but all sorted very quickly no questions etc

This might throw a curve ball or not.

I am in a 56 plate RX400h, with 152,000 on the clock and today on a 160 mile round trip, had an Avg of 36.2mpg. No qualms or quibbles.

If your budget is 8, how about buying something cheaper and keep the balance as a buffer in case you did need to get something done.

If the paperwork backs things up. These just run. Just a thought.

regards your opening post, there must be loads of other issues. hmmm not really. If anything, rear brakes can seize, why? lack of use basically. They have so little to do they do not get any exercise. When appropriate, I have taken  to occasionally being quite aggressive with the brakes, just to make sure the rears get something to do. Lubricating the slide pins as part of annual service would be a good idea.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...