Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

20" aftermarket alloys on a is300h f sport?

ruralrat

Hello fellow Lexus owners,

Sorry, I'm new to this club, even though i have owned a Lexus (is200 sport 2003 - 11 years), and now a is300h f sport from last September,

I've always liked to individualize the cars that i have owned over the years, don't get me wrong , i'm no boy racer (hell, i'm 54 now!!), i just 

like my cars to stand out a little, anyway , i want to put bigger wheels on my car, even though i have 18" as std, i've always felt that they don't

fill the arches enough, the car had a carbon body kit fitted when i bought it, but will get this painted to match the blue bodywork later, I saw a nice 

set up by Skipper on a black 300h/350 with 20" , just wondered if i would have to modify the arches, or just make sure i get the ET right, along 

with the tyre sizes, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hello Chris and welcome to the LOC.

There is as you probably appreciate a lot more than just sticking a larger diameter set of wheels on a car, obviously the stud pattern PCD needs to be the same and the bore which can if needed be corrected with spigot rings.

The main factor regarding brake and arch clearance is the offset i.e. how far they stick out both towards the suspension and arches. Additionally this can lead to increased wheel bearing loading which in turn may affect reliability and handling.

Tyre size will also affect the rolling radius leading to speedometer errors which also needs taking into account.

There are various websites that allow you to compare the original wheel and tyre set up and a proposed set up, they will show how offset is affected for those wheel arch clearance problems.

I don’t know if parts are available but you could also consider lowering the suspension to attain a closer arch fit to the current wheels.

Just taken 20 inch after market alloys off my gs450h.

Rears were over circumference and too wide resulting in chafing the arch.

They looked great but beyond that were pants in fit and comfort.

Just stuck them on eBay. Way to waste money......someone paid £1000 for them new. Second hand and still in good condition I may get £100.

17 minutes ago, Mossypossy said:

Just taken 20 inch after market alloys off my gs450h.

Rears were over circumference and too wide resulting in chafing the arch.

They looked great but beyond that were pants in fit and comfort.

Just stuck them on eBay. Way to waste money......someone paid £1000 for them new. Second hand and still in good condition I may get £100.

Have u got a link to ur add

I would be surprised if you dont do better than 100 pound, i put 20s on the rx450h and it looks great with a 50 sidewall, anybody on here with rx should be looking into these they are decent wheels

Thank you Steve2006, and Alan64 for your replies yesterday, also Mossypossy for showing those 20" wheels, nice wheels , though i would love to 

put 20's on , i think 19's are probably the limit , I found a piece of paper i'd written on with wheel sizes i could have on from a well known supplier

saying i could put 20x8.5 et+32 with 235/30 r20 tyres front, and 20x9.5 et +40 with 255/30 r20 tyres rear,but said nothing about altering the suspension,

I would like to do something with the suspension at some point in the future , and i will be asking LOC for advice on this, but the wheels need to be done 

first, incidentally, how much do you think i could get for my original F sport wheels?, they are in reasonable condition, a few mark/chips from the previous

owner :(, i could get them refurbed i guess.

I paid £390 for my secondhand gs450h wheels, delivered. Condition was very good.

Remember the silly cost of rubber when you go oversize. £250 for a 285/25 R20. Double the price of an 18 inch one, same brand.