Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Looking at that difference in the two shades it would be impossible to get an exact match if that is the best they can achieve from your sample.

My mate in Scotland who is a upholsterer and leather technician once told me it is only possible to match these colours on the actual material in situ and anyone trying otherwise is groping in the dark.

1 hour ago, ambermarine said:

My mate in Scotland who is a upholsterer and leather technician once told me it is only possible to match these colours on the actual material in situ and anyone trying otherwise is groping in the dark.

Particularly tartan   😃

• Like 1

I’m waiting yet again for a response from the company, it probably didn’t help that the 2 samples I sent were very small ( there ain’t much spare TBH) but I did check beforehand that they would be suitable for matching. Depending on what they say and how long it’s going to take ( certainly not another month!) I may send them the seat headrest which is clean and been exposed to UV for 26 years, so the accurate colour hopefully, and try again.

I am hoping they will provide another mix free of charge other wise it’s another £30.00.

The velour seats from the Celsior have been sold so that option has gone, the final option is custom made and fitted seat covers but I’m trying to avoid spending £800.00 if possible, the roof respray is a £400.00 job (cracking lacquer) and the wheel refurbishment another £320.00. Having said that I would rather invest money in the one I have knowing it owes me nothing over 14 years of ownership plus with all the bonuses, standby payments and overtime at the moment I have little else to spend the money on.

At least I can still use it as a 3 seater limo, the other half quite likes sitting in the rear with the extra legroom 😀

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JamesIS220 said:

Couldn't you spray all the seats so they match each other? Or is the paint too expensive?

James.👍

I could but as you mention the paint is not cheap and neither is the prep stuff. It is also very time consuming hence why I started it during lock down ( I have continued to work on call front line power distribution) but now moving towards normality so out and about a lot more with less spare time.

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

I could but as you mention the paint is not cheap and neither is the prep stuff. It is also very time consuming hence why I started it during lock down ( I have continued to work on call front line power distribution) but now moving towards normality so out and about a lot more with less spare time.

Hope you can get the colour matching company to re-mix another can for free. As colour was nowhere near!

Your idea of sending a headrest was good, just hope it doesn't get lost in the post!

I'll look forward to the finished result.

Looking for grey electric front seats with memory for my 1996 Volvo 940 from a 960/V90, so will probably need some TLC once found a set.

James👍

Steve,

This must be very frustrating for you. As I think I mentioned before I used this company, which I hadn't tried before:

http://www.staingard.co.uk/

I actually sent them a cover off one of the rear headrests and asked them to match the underneath, where the sun doesn't shine, so to speak. The dye they sent, eventually, was a perfect match.

I ordered 500 ml, which turned out to be way too much, so 250 ml would have been enough.

I hope you get a resolution in the end.

Howard

• 2 weeks later...

OK another update.

After contacting the company regarding my mismatched leather colour match I have received a reply from them.

They have agreed to do another match for me and supply the colourant free of charge. To try and make sure it is right this time I have posted them the complete front headrest as it is much larger than the sample sent previously and it has been evenly exposed to the sun and heat over the life of the car so should give a more accurate colour match.

Sent it well packaged and insured by RM Special Delivery so another £11.00 but didn’t fancy it going AWOL, the company have confirmed delivery and also that the correct colourant should be with me along with the headrest later this week....I hope.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

So finally another update!

Within a week as promised the head rest and second batch of matched colourant arrived and this time it does match so full marks to the supplier.

Included in the original kit was a small air brush and a can of compressed air, the canister lasted around 2 minutes so I connected it up to my Clark air compressor but it was very tedious covering only a very small area at a time, constantly clogging and then splattering.

So I purchased a cheap KK Moon gravity feed sprayer from the Flea pit. This has made the job a whole lot easier and quicker plus the finish is excellent so progress has finally been made.

Not done the inner bottom panels yet but the sides and top are, needs another couple of coats then the lacquer goes on in semi matt.

D0786472-F88D-40A6-999C-1563C126CAB5.jpeg

5298A028-965C-4D75-8322-52C6C1524B27.jpeg

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

So I finally reassembled the seat this morning as I have a rare weekend off from being on call.

A few bolts, clips and hog rings and back together. Reinstalled in the car and all working.

As this was my first attempt I wasn’t expecting perfection even though it is a Lexus of sorts but overall it’s come out OK.

The paint was so much easier to apply with a spray gun as opposed to the air brush supplied with the kit, dust is the major enemy and perhaps a garage was not the ideal location even when vacuumed.

But now I have done one I feel more confident with the driver’s seat plus I can’t spend weeks with it out of the car unlike the passenger one.

5BD5C0DD-ACBA-4B34-A3C4-7C7CE8561D07.jpeg

• Like 5

Thanks for the compliments guys.

It’s not perfect, I think I managed to get the joining patch in crumpled at the front of the base resulting in an uneven lump and you can still see the line where it was torn moving back from there if you enlarge the picture. There are also a few spray gun splatters which I missed before the lacquer top coat went on and trapped dust but I think it looks better than it did before starting.

I’ve now started the driver’s seat in situ, the tear is in the same place so that’s been closed and filled. Obviously the seat will have to come out for prep and spraying at some point but I can still use the car to that point.

Here’s a word of warning.....to remove the original coating the kit uses Acetone or as I know it nail varnish remover. It is very aggressive so if anyone starts doing their nails in your car I would suggest stopping them unless you want stripped seats.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, steve2006 said:

So I finally reassembled the seat this morning as I have a rare weekend off from being on call.

A few bolts, clips and hog rings and back together. Reinstalled in the car and all working.

As this was my first attempt I wasn’t expecting perfection even though it is a Lexus of sorts but overall it’s come out OK.

The paint was so much easier to apply with a spray gun as opposed to the air brush supplied with the kit, dust is the major enemy and perhaps a garage was not the ideal location even when vacuumed.

But now I have done one I feel more confident with the driver’s seat plus I can’t spend weeks with it out of the car unlike the passenger one.

5BD5C0DD-ACBA-4B34-A3C4-7C7CE8561D07.jpeg

WOW! that looks amazing. Well done you.

• Like 2