Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Well with another 5 weeks on standby shifts and little in the way of call outs I today stripped the front passenger seat base down as the leather has split so needs a new panel fitting.

Removal of the complete seat took around 10 minutes, 4 bolts and one electrical multi plug.

It took me around 90 minutes with lots of how to reassemble photographs taken during the strip down.

As usual with Lexus it all came to pieces without too much drama, the backrest was separated with just 4 bolts and unleashing of part of the electrical loom.

The biggest job was removing all the fixing rings that secure the leather cover to the foam base, due to the lack of working space and their design ( like small key rings) I cut them out. Having studied the process refitting will be done with “Hog Rings” which with the special pliers are on order.

Just got to get it sent off now to the upholsterer, once repaired I will then hopefully put it all back together, clean it and dye it.

I did look into new covers from Toyota but at nearly $1000.00 each for the base cover only I  spluttered and moved on!

The spring set up is amazing as shown in the last picture, the item circled is one of the hog springs holding things together.

7EAE1B3D-0EA8-4A25-AA37-0A68AC0431DD.jpeg

EC2E032E-1946-4F12-9E65-F8ED03EF70B7.jpeg

8459C388-F7E1-4EF4-8E54-4B18EF2BF3DA.jpeg

• Like 4

Very enterprising, had you thought of new leather from a UK based upholsterer? I had a custom designed nappa leather interior done on my C class for just over £2k, a single seat base shouldn't be expensive?

Nice Nathan cupboard/wall unit I spy in the first image? :wink3:

24 minutes ago, NemesisUK said:

Very enterprising, had you thought of new leather from a UK based upholsterer? I had a custom designed nappa leather interior done on my C class for just over £2k, a single seat base shouldn't be expensive?

Nice Nathan cupboard/wall unit I spy in the first image? :wink3:

Not to mention the animal print carpet 😀

• Haha 1

Are you installing a new Heating Mat? 

Something like this example?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-Pads-Carbon-Fiber-Car-Seat-Heater-Kits-Heating-Warmer-Heated-Cushion-Universal/352801878771?hash=item5224a172f3:g:aZYAAOSwxU9ddg99

12 hours ago, runsgrateasanut said:

I never thought of that Stuart, mine has never had heated seats as it was an option on the Celsior. I did notice there are a couple of unused plugs on the seat loom which without confirming I would assume are there for that purpose. The only other problem is that I have no switches for them mounted under the ash tray but I could source those from a breaker.

• Like 1

That is a surprise as I thought the Celsior was the most equipped of the models?    Even had Air suspension? Sure it does get cold in Japan. 

Might be worth doing.

No real need to have the switch on the Panel under the Ash Tray. Not sure if the Mat was just atop the Foam or need an extra layer of foam- Sandwich style?

23 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

That is a surprise as I thought the Celsior was the most equipped of the models?    Even had Air suspension? Sure it does get cold in Japan. 

Might be worth doing.

No real need to have the switch on the Panel under the Ash Tray. Not sure if the Mat was just atop the Foam or need an extra layer of foam- Sandwich style?

My Celsior doesn't have heated front seats either, although being wool it doesn't need them.  I'm guessing it may have come from a warm part of the country. The rear seats on the other hand have just about everything you could think of, made for chauffeuring I suppose.

• Like 1

Celsiors are somewhat different to the LS400 in that there are 4 specifications, A, B, C and C-F . The top model (C-F) is the full spec model with features such as reclining heated massaging rear seats. Mine is a B spec so has leather unheated seats. Unlike the UK you could specify options such as cloth or leather seating, sunroof etc.

Well progress has moved on slightly, I made enquiries with some local upholstery companies, one although on the website do repair car seats actually don’t, no reply from 2, one wants to look at the seat first and another quoted £150.00 for just one seat bearing in mind the cover is already off and it’s just one panel.

Ummm, let’s watch some Youtube videos on leather seat repairs....fast forward...OK got the basics here, how to unstitch the old panel without causing any damage, how to cut a new panel and how to reattach the new panel to the rest of the seat.

Buy some leather of a similar colour ( going to re dye them so not a problem), get the tools and some new foam backing ordered.

Although I would prefer machine stitching it may have to done by hand unless another member has or knows someone who has a machine and could stitch the panel in.

Worse possible outcome is to have to replace the seats with a velour set from a Celsior at £250.00 or possibly fit the 2 front seats in the same colour from  Toyota Soarer.

In the meantime I have a 3 seater stretch limo going nowhere anyway.

30 minutes ago, Tulpen said:

How about your local shoe repair guy? He'll have the stitching machine.

Hey now there’s an idea Brian  never thought of that. Plus they are in most of the main supermarkets too!

13 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Plus they are in most of the main supermarkets too!

did you manage to read any of the comments on your other post on this subject a week or so back ?

Also I'm understanding that placing a piece of the leather underneath the busted area and then gluing or whatever the edges down might provide a good repair

Not sure if I got this from the Repair Shop or Salvage Hunters Repairs programmes

Malc

Very true Malc re the supermarkets so plan G now.

I took you advice and cut a strip off a chamois leather, fitted it under the tear and glued it in place.

The tear has now been closed up and is holding fine.

I have now ordered a repair and refurbish kit from a company which includes everything to finish the job.

• Like 1

Steve, I have used the stuff to repair a crack/split before, this was on a leather sofa so same idea getting plenty of wear afterwards, I can't remember where I got the stuff to repair the crack/split, I just got it off a reputable bloke off eBay and if you follow the instructions you wont even see the split also you can get the leather dye kit which comes with additional tints to get the seat looking the same as the rest with out having to do the whole lot. It is a bit time consuming getting the right shade but it sure does work and saves a lot of money.. but it is fun doing it yourself.. I will try and find the guy I got my stuff from... 

• Like 1

I’ve ordered a complete kit from a UK based company called “Furniture Clinic” for £62.95.

The kit does tear repairs, filling cracks, scuffs, recolouring and finishing. I have matched the colour to mine from the colour selection section (sand) but you can lighten or darken the pigment to get an exact match.

It’s only the base on the passenger side but all the seat on the driver’s side due to bolster scuffing.

If it all goes down the pan I have some spare patio chairs ready to fit 😀

4C7A38C3-513E-423A-95FA-B4DF134A0126.png

• Like 1

The kit has been dispatched and on its way....I have also received a message from DHL telling me a package is arriving today....knowing my luck it will be the patio cleaner I also ordered not the repair kit 😭

If you follow the instructions then, as @whiteman says, the results should be good. I bought a similar kit, albeit from another supplier, when I restored a Mercedes-Benz 420SEC 3 years ago, and below are the before and after shots. I used the supplied filler paste on the hole in the armrest and the renovation cream was mixed by the supplier to match the correct shade.

It's a very rewarding job, but don't rush it.

P1040554.thumb.JPG.56aab7a86d768c1e5c6bde9d8ec34b8b.JPG

P1040564.thumb.JPG.77424e2f460605393fa21387c4cd9784.JPG

P1040556.thumb.JPG.38e78b536f99ac3b9888640534038b3f.JPG

P1040555.thumb.JPG.bd8c5a173e90b82715b98b55a29e0696.JPG

P1040570.thumb.JPG.547fce4dd05387013b66496f3988b981.JPG

P1040576.thumb.JPG.d9606f9e69d426ea04e1e9d4564cbd21.JPG

Good luck!

P1040562.JPG

P1040570.JPG

• Like 7

Nice job Howard, I’m hoping for similar results.

Unfortunately the DHL parcel was the patio cleaner, not my favourite job so hidden in the garage 😀

Also not arrived today so hopefully tomorrow or Friday.

Will update regularly.

• Like 1

Not been a good week, having damaged the ignition wires during the spark plug change which are now in transit from Rockauto the seat repair bundle finally arrived today.

First thing that I did notice that despite an email from the supplier on Monday saying the parcel had been dispatched, the label was dated 22/05/2020 so a little porky there but explains the delay.

It was when I opened the package my week continued in a downward spiral. I ordered a “Bundle Package” which should have contained “Leather Binder 250ml, Complete Leather Repair Kit and Leather Colourant Kit.” However I soon discovered the first 2 items were missing leaving just the Colourant Kit.

This means I still cannot continue with the repairs as I need the binder to strengthen the leather and the repair kit to fill the cracks and finish off the tear repair carried out previously before recolouring.

I have sent the company a polite email asking for the missing items to be dispatched on an expedited delivery.

A bit annoying that with all this spare time at present but never mind still got a few weeks left at least and mistakes do happen.

• Sad 2

Unfortunately Steve these mistakes do happen,hopefully you will eventually get what you ordered and will be able to carry on with your seat repair etc,good luck and all the best 🙂👍

Having spliced a new Spark plug lead myself a few years back, should I change the Lead Set for a third time, I think I'll cut the Plastic cover (the side opposte the Throttle body anyway) into two parts so that I can be certain the Leads aren't snagged or touching the Cambelt Sprocket, which in my case I found that two leads had been rubbing.  It will make no difference as bolts hold the long part and the part that covers the Sprocket, sperately.   Even seen some of our American Cousins leave them off altogether. - Wouldn't do that!

As I am now going to also replace the distributor caps and rotor arms as part of the leads and spark plugs you need to remove the lower belt covers to gain access.

You remove the bolts and they are now loose but won’t come off because there is a coolant hose in the way. Drain the coolant and remove the hose. Still stuck because the cam sensor wiring is also attached to the cover. Cannot release the wire because there is no space to get your fingers in to do do.

It’s like a set of those Russian dolls that fit inside each other, the first line in the Lexus LS400 service manual procedure for any engine related job should read

1    Remove the engine.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, steve2006 said:

As I am now going to also replace the distributor caps and rotor arms as part of the leads and spark plugs you need to remove the lower belt covers to gain access.

You remove the bolts and they are now loose but won’t come off because there is a coolant hose in the way. Drain the coolant and remove the hose. Still stuck because the cam sensor wiring is also attached to the cover. Cannot release the wire because there is no space to get your fingers in to do do.

It’s like a set of those Russian dolls that fit inside each other, the first line in the Lexus LS400 service manual procedure for any engine related job should read

1    Remove the engine.

That's why my brand new set of Caps and Rotors have not been fitted. Anyone interested in a purchase?

Just took mine out Stuart, if yours are anything like mine I would keep hold of them and change them. Full penetration cracks on both of them in the same place although this could be a stress crack from over tightening at the factory.

Remarkably the distributor caps still look fine, slight corrosion on the pins but centre connection still good and springy, no signs of arcing or cracks in the body.

For 26 years old pretty good I think.

189B1B39-6432-4923-B8A8-E06B3ACEBC17.jpeg

193DD45A-4184-496C-B703-2D1A9519BA8D.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1