Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

58 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

You are right John, although there are particular reasons for that. However the biggest challenge faced by hydrogen,  is storage, both on site and in the vehicle, and there is possibly a game changer  in USA, whereby they have developed a sponge like concept which can store a huge increase against current amounts. Like anything else, early days and good as it is, as clearly is hydrogen power, I think it will be for future generations.  I liked your video, and the message, and strangely I assess my car in 3 year cycles, expecting at the end of the cycle to have to replace it.......but when I reach that point I look at the car, consider all the facts and conclude nothing is really different from 3 years previous. I spend what is necessary, which has only been tyres, brakes servicing etc. and off I go for another 3 years, and long may it continue. I think generally the Lexus range is pretty timeless and as I am not ‘status ‘ conscious about my car all the other factors like comfort, reliability, safety etc , which are important,  are still there. I do not think that the car industry generally have understood what is about to hit them....look at Aston Martin’s perilous situation today. Cheers, Roger

Thanks Roger.My approach is similar to yours  and Malcs.

Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the Universe, so it seems sensible to use that of which there is most !

Of course on Planet Earth it has to be manufactured and distributed and its consumption produces only water.

11 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

The source from whence it came, surely  H2O ?

Nitrogen comes from the Stars, does it not Stewart?

It combines with 2 parts of Oxygen to produce water.Or am I being stupid as I can be sometimes ?

Herbie or Roger or William should join this science lesson me thinks.

• Confused 1

whatever, it's probably Toyota and Honda Japanese rather than Geely ( is it ? ) Chinese and I know I'd prefer the former :wink3:

Malc

sorry, it's silly time I know .............  Covid madness onset !

I usually take first place for Stupidity. Who said anything about Nitrogen? Water is two parts Hydrogen and one part Oxygen unless my Chemistry lessons of yesteryear were as bad as my concentration on all other subjects.  "See me" was often written on my test results.

Funny, when I was t Colchester Hospital five years ago, I got chatting to a Nurse and somehow we got arounds to where I went to School and she told me her Grandfather who was in his Nineties was still around.  He was our Chemistry Master (poo poo that expression as much as you like) whose Nickname was Monty as he had the famous Moustache.

1 minute ago, runsgrateasanut said:

I usually take first place for Stupidity. Who said anything about Nitrogen? Water is two parts Hydrogen and one part Water unless my Chemistry lessons of yesteryear were as bad as my concentration on all other subjects.  "See me" was often written on my test results.

Funny, when I was t Colchester Hospital five years ago, I got chatting to a Nurse and somehow we got arounds to where I went to School and she told me her Grandfather who was in his Nineties was still around.  He was our Chemistry Master (poo poo that expression as much as you like) whose Nickname was Monty as he had the famous Moustache.

Stupid me Stu, trying to spin too many plates. I was probably standing in the Dunces corner--not next to you by any chance ??

Substitute Hydrogen for Nitrogen please.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

Hopw to extract Hydrogen? Well don't ask me!

I do somehow think Toyota do really have the answer though

Tell me, is the storage, for car use, of Hydrogen fuel going to be any more challenging than that of LPG or say CNG where in India all the tuk tuks run on that gas 

Malc

1 hour ago, royoftherovers said:

Nitrogen comes from the Stars, does it not Stewart?

It combines with 2 parts of Oxygen to produce water.Or am I being stupid as I can be sometimes ?

Herbie or Roger or William should join this science lesson me thinks.

Its 2 hydrogen atoms per oxygen atom. however in terms off mass, thats actually 8 times as much Oxygen
(atomic mass 16 for the most common isotope) vs an atomic mass of 1 for hydrogen.

Problem with hydrogen is energy density. Unless you compress it, you need a massive balloon on top of your
car to get 100 mile range. If you do compress it, you can get pretty good range, but its a bit risky cos if that
hydrogen tank gets punctured or say doesn't get wall maintained and goes rusty..... its basically a fuel-air bomb
waiting to happen. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Steven Lockey said:

Problem with hydrogen is energy density. Unless you compress it, you need a massive balloon on top of your
car to get 100 mile range. If you do compress it, you can get pretty good range, but its a bit risky cos if that
hydrogen tank gets punctured or say doesn't get wall maintained and goes rusty..... its basically a fuel-air bomb
waiting to happen. 

I would think the Toyota Hydrogen fuel fleet on trial with the Met Police right now is probably quite safely compliant with all potential safety issues

Malc

5 hours ago, Malc said:

I would think the Toyota Hydrogen fuel fleet on trial with the Met Police right now is probably quite safely compliant with all potential safety issues

Malc

Thanks Malc. I had forgotten.

https://www.driving.co.uk/news/met-police-goes-zero-emission-fleet-toyota-mirai-hydrogen-fuel-cell/

OMG I've just copied this from your above Met Police / Toyota article 

"  In addition, air pollution is known to cause 40,000 premature deaths a year in Britain, with diesel vehicles a large contributor to the problem, producing high levels of particulates and toxic nitrogen oxides, which can cause respiratory disease and heart attacks. " 

might put into perspective vis a vis our everyday life expectations with our tragic Coro virus pandemic which has reached about 32k deaths thus far

Malc

I love that way that a post about a Mk1 for sale ends up talking about Boris Buses (or lack of), Police cars and a lesson in chemistry.

I can just imagine a pub where we all get together (post Covid) and drink a few beers and see where the chat goes, or maybe this is what happens at Lexus meets.

Regarding the Bus Post, the comments on using Battery tech is relying too much on the Chinese. Surely any technology will have the Chinese racing ahead, and even if we invented something new, we would want to have some other low wage economy build it, and they would then 'copy' any Patents or IP to their own advantage.

If we could make a car run on Indecision then we could use our politicians as fuel.

6 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

I love that way that a post about a Mk1 for sale ends up talking about Boris Buses (or lack of), Police cars and a lesson in chemistry.

I can just imagine a pub where we all get together (post Covid) and drink a few beers and see where the chat goes, or maybe this is what happens at Lexus meets.

Regarding the Bus Post, the comments on using battery tech is relying too much on the Chinese. Surely any technology will have the Chinese racing ahead, and even if we invented something new, we would want to have some other low wage economy build it, and they would then 'copy' any Patents or IP to their own advantage.

If we could make a car run on Indecision then we could use our politicians as fuel.

Another deviation Pete ?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Malc said:

OMG I've just copied this from your above Met Police / Toyota article 

"  In addition, air pollution is known to cause 40,000 premature deaths a year in Britain, with diesel vehicles a large contributor to the problem, producing high levels of particulates and toxic nitrogen oxides, which can cause respiratory disease and heart attacks. " 

might put into perspective vis a vis our everyday life expectations with our tragic Coro virus pandemic which has reached about 32k deaths thus far

Malc

Thank goodness for LPG.

On 5/14/2020 at 4:15 PM, Malc said:

I do somehow think Toyota do really have the answer though

Tell me, is the storage, for car use, of Hydrogen fuel going to be any more challenging than that of LPG or say CNG where in India all the tuk tuks run on that gas 

Malc

LPG storage is not difficult or challenging. Most tanks sit above ground which means servicing the storage is easier than petrol/deisel with everything under ground.

43 minutes ago, Cotswold Pete said:

Regarding the Bus Post, the comments on using battery tech is relying too much on the Chinese. Surely any technology will have the Chinese racing ahead, and even if we invented something new, we would want to have some other low wage economy build it, and they would then 'copy' any Patents or IP to their own advantage.

Well I am looking forward to seeing Malc, in his hydrogen powered tuktuk, driving back to Kent , after filling his overhead balloon storage tank, in Hendon. Sounds totally feasible to me 😂😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Bluesman said:

LPG storage is not difficult or challenging. Most tanks sit above ground which means servicing the storage is easier than petrol/deisel with everything under ground.

My personal Tank sat in the Hall for three years before I decided that it and all the paraphanalia I put together for installation just couldn't be justified, especially when the Car had the dreaded stutter on Kickdown. 

I had a Merc on single point and managed to tease it for six years avoiding a blowback. The buyer was less fortunate.  The trip to Profess and an overnight stop just didn't thrill me, so sold the Kit. 

Perhaps Petrol price will fall with this crisis and glut from production? Never going to meet LPG level but then perhaps the situation will adversely affect the LPG price? 

reminds me a little of the Dads Army butchers van with the hydrogen balloon on the top ............... :yahoo:..  and  BANG ............. bang chitty chitty 

seriously, not seen any Met police cars for a very long time ......  bet they can just fly along and beat all the traffic jams, just like in the Dukes of Hazzard zipping along over all and anything

Malc

you can tell what I'm re-watching during lockdown !

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Malc said:

reminds me a little of the Dads Army butchers van with the hydrogen balloon on the top ............... :yahoo:..  and  BANG ............. bang chitty chitty 

seriously, not seen any Met police cars for a very long time ......  bet they can just fly along and beat all the traffic jams, just like in the Dukes of Hazzard zipping along over all and anything

Malc

you can tell what I'm re-watching during lockdown !

Have they repeated DRAGNET yet Malc ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links