Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

they sure do scrub up well eh !

NOW, odd that it's just come onto the market afresh with a freebie 6 month extended MOT  ....  I think I'd want a fresh one done independently tbh especially at that mileage with UCAs etc quite worn, especially if she's going to be properly used as an everyday car .......  she's not been used very much at all over many recent years

Maybe I'm just a born sceptic ............ wonder if the cambelt etc has ever been changed, it's not so bad tho' being a non-interference engine

Just my ultra cautious approach to some things in life

Hope she gets to a new happy caring home :yes:

Malc

• Like 1

Same colour combo as mine....it looks well 🥰

His put a lot of money into it, would love to see it get the reserve of 4500 but in the current market its highly unlikely I would think. Still looks a good buy for whoever gets it.

58 minutes ago, MotorDevil said:

His put a lot of money into it, would love to see it get the reserve of 4500 but in the current market its highly unlikely I would think. Still looks a good buy for whoever gets it.

£4,500, considering what has been done to the car as described, isn’t that bad but at the moment..........maybe not achievable. Worth a punt though and if you get it for half the reserve then it’s a good buy, you never know...............you have to be in it to win it😉

1 hour ago, Razor61 said:

£4,500, considering what has been done to the car as described, isn’t that bad but at the moment..........maybe not achievable. Worth a punt though and if you get it for half the reserve then it’s a good buy, you never know...............you have to be in it to win it😉

If your in it I hope you win it!!

2 Green LS400s just new on eBay today too, havent seen any new ones for weeks and now 3 in 2 days! 

I may have mentioned this the other day but the early models are now fetching more money on the Japanese sale sites than later series IV models and it looks like this is now affecting prices here too. Good news is that mine is probably worth the same now as I paid for it 16 years ago.

• Like 2

Don't understand why he has titled and refers to it as a Mk 1 when its a '94 Mk 2. 

Certainly polished up nicely. I'd want a close look underneath as Hebden Bridge was a flood area not so long ago if I remember correcty? 

Not looked at the MOT history. 

Rear UCA's at that mileage could need replacing easily £600 for OEM parts alone. 

I'm having a new Hub Bush tomorrow at similar mileage.  Lots of invoices or service history would be good.

Seems to have attracted bidders and long may the price go up.

Funny you should mention that Stuart but I have checked the MOTs for this one and the other 2 new listings on fleabay.

This 1994 one has advisories for both rear wheel bearings and a front suspension ball joint, the other green ones also have advisories for corrosion on the L registration plus paint problems and the other one which appears to be a motor dealer sale has advisories for worn tyres and a history of poor maintenance plus the carpets are filthy.

OK I know these cars are getting on now but personally I would be ashamed to present a car for sale in any of these conditions and then expect top money for them.

• Like 1

maybe I was too hasty with my initial comments

BUT .......  a Mk2 as this is has very limited value even as a potential classic .......  at these 145k miles especially ........ at the £9k it's cost him it really isn't an everyday usable car methinks, nor at his seeking price of £4.5k ......  hope he achieves lots of ££££ for the effort he's put into her, but I fear there's going to be a significant capital loss emerging sadly

let's see how she goes .....  I'd still want an independent new MOT whatever ........  being the cautious sole I can often be :unsure:

Malc

Well, I wouldn't want to upset anyone, but I've found my Lexus to be an absolute Money pit. 

I've never had so many sleepless nights with another Car. Had to replace so many parts (and they weren't cheap) and having just come off the phone to my Mechanic who has fitted the Rear Hub Bush after having to heat it, and told me that the N/S Rear Roll Bar drop link  will need replacing, that will be small Beer,  if as he tells me, he could shear off one of the two bolts that hold the front O2 sensor in place, being unlike later models which just have a Screw-in Sensor. 

We are talking about two rusty 5mm bolts that may not have had the nuts removed since the Car was mfrd. Should that happen I'm in dead shtook!  The likelyhood 50/50 I imagine, as the nuts aren't brass.

I have about £900 worth of replacement new parts from Rear UCA's to a New Radiator and pipes together with Dizzy Caps and Rotors sat at home partly because of wear issues and because I can't figure out the problem of misfire under load which is frightening when you want to join a  Motorway.  OBD1 says 25 Air-Fuel Ration Lean Malfunction.  Transmission shows no faults.

For six years I owned a Merc W140. I had a front or was it a rear spring replaced. Other than the Door mirrors not electrically operating unless they felt like it, oh and no Air Conditioning, (I lived without it) I can't recall any major expense. Maybe my memory fails me?

Steve is right, the Japances are selling early Cars for more than later ones.  Not sure I understand why?

Mine has been completely the opposite apart from routine servicing I had mainly minor faults which I have been able to DIY, I even rebuilt my starter motor when the dreaded click click symptoms appeared, that was over ten years ago and been fine since. The cam belt was done by my local garage who mistakenly quoted £100.00 labour. I recently had a rear spring break but given the roads that is expected. No blowing Y pipe, no flickering dash illumination. The only niggles at the moment are a faulty power steering idle up valve and the speedo reading low until it warms up which along with the front seats will get sorted during this lock down.

Suspension wise it has had both front LBJs and the near side UCA (pothole) all replaced with OEM parts.

Rear brake pipes have also been replaced.

Basically it owes me nothing.

• Like 1

You have my sympathy Stuart regarding the misfire under load issue, I know these type of issues can take time or money and normally both. I hope you get it sorted sooner rather than later. Regarding the rusted bolts and nuts, I have found quite a few similar on my car and sheared a few by not being patient - even though I knew I should be. I had to be very very patient and eventually they came off ok but it was very time consuming and painstaking work. It only cost me time but to pay for a mechanic to do that for hours will cost a bit, that’s where an induction heater is very useful and I wish I had one..........

I have got to agree with you to a certain extent regarding the costs running an LS400 and fully appreciate costs can spiral quickly. I bought my LS400 to find out what they were like and have a car to tinker with as a hobby. I have spent quite a chunk of money on mine, some of it absolutely needed, some of it I knew about when buying and some of it to get the car in the ‘right’ condition for me (mechanical and body) Some issues I was prepared for and some I definitely wasn’t i.e. the rusty holes in the rear arches, strut bar bushes plus obtaining a genuine electric aerial to replace the crap generic one and then £80 for the genuine Lexus telescopic bit (yes I know there are aftermarket ones on eBay but the difference in quality is night and day)

I was/am realistic about the cost of running older cars but I didn’t expect or want to spend the amount I have on my car although I could probably have spent a quarter of the amount and just ran the car no problem. I sort of reached a ‘point of no return’ where I felt I had to continue sorting things out that I found, even though I would prefer a different colour😀

• Like 1

Just done an MOT check on the £10,850 1994 LS400 on fleabay.

There appears to be a 3 year gap between 2016 and 2019, quite a few fails in its time. It does make you wonder if the replacement suspension parts were OEM or Chinese cheapies. 

Fails on basic things like brake lights and parking brake travel raises concerns in my mind about the quality of servicing and past owner care.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, steve2006 said:

£10,850 1994 LS400 on fleabay.

I seem to remember this car for sale quite a while ago, on car and classic maybe, and it was around £4K I think. One other thing that I think was in the advert was that the car had spent some time abroad, Hong Kong or something like that, does anyone else remember this?

well I can only speak from my own limited experience ......  20 years with a Ls400 and my Mk3 for nearly 9 years is the best I've had and for this last 100k miles too

OK I spent about £2/ 2.5k on her a couple of years ago now, OEM Toyota  4 x  UCAs ( the earlier replaced BluePrint one failed at 43k and therefore crap ) and front drop links, cambelt, pulleys and waterpump sorted and 4 new tyres too in this price

She's good to go until 2030 and to 325k + miles now i hope :yahoo:

She's cost me bugger all really to keep going and probably for a long long time to come too

She cost me £1400 in June 2011 with full Lexus Service History stuff ..........  never likely to see Lexus servicing since or ever again though

The write-off last August ( now Cat N ) valued her at £1595 and my simple effective door repair put some @£800 ? back in my pocket

OK, she's a little challenged, needing tlc to bumper scrapes etc and the rear doors could sensibly be replaced with original new one's or from an excellent breaker in the same colour, but I can't see that ever happening tbh ..............  unless there's a miracle out there about to happen

She's used just about every day and I expect scrapes and dings ....  it's the motoring world we live in and there's most drivers far less careful than me out on our roads

I'd happily jump in her tomorrow ( Covid excepting ) and drive across Europe, just checking the oil and water etc and knowing she'll get me there .....  and BACK

A usable everyday classic in the making and worth, well, let's say maybe £1000 or so

Ls400s at £5 / 10/ 15k  I'd be scared stiff to put them out on the road  .......  what's the point in having a  car you can't dare to use in case of a ding ?

Certainly the best cars I've ever had ..... and as you know from my earlier posts I used to part own a secondhand car sales business and had the use of a whole range of marques, RRs, Astons, Jags and dreaded but beautiful big big  Mercs.................,  Alfas, beautiful but catastrophic engineering sadly.......  and many others too of course

Ls400s are the way to go .................  but sensibly please :wink3:

Malc

• Like 3

A great write up Malc.

My Mechanic changed out the two front Sensors without shearing the bolts and after disconnecting the Battery this morning and taking it for a spin and getting a buzz from the Power setting although on local urban roads, I'm pleased to say that there are now NO FAULT ENGINE CODES. No25 - Weak Air Fuel ratio no longer showing. Yippee!!

Now can't wait until can get back on those French Roads to see if the stutter under load and on Kickdown has finally been sorted. 

I've alway been prepared to spend what is needed to keep the Car in good shape as it is a rather subdued Status symbol being so rare. Prices I doubt will rise greatly and all cars over 100k mileage will need copious parts replaced. Still it beats depreciation on a New Car and if the Engine is FAA Certified then show me an alternative Car with such a prestige statement. 

Come better weather may attack the Driving seat and replace the heat pad. Also fit a pull up rear Screen Blind. 

The 4.3" Reversing Camera l located on the Speaker Cover needs a screen shade and something sold for a Hubson Quadcopter may just do the trick to make viewing in the r/view Mirror that much better?  Tinkering - but thats lockdown for you!

Only wish I wasn't having to buy Chinoiserie, but thats really all thats available.  Government needs to up the Import tax considerably. How can something I buy be manufactured, travel by Container and be delivered to my door step by the Royal Mail and only cost me 99p ?

Oh, and forget Huawei as we are likely going back to the Post War period - almost - Who needs 5G ? I certainly don't ! Enough ranting!

8 minutes ago, runsgrateasanut said:

A great write up Malc.

My Mechanic changed out the two front Sensors without shearing the bolts and after disconnecting the battery this morning and taking it for a spin and getting a buzz from the Power setting although on local urban roads, I'm pleased to say that there are now NO FAULT ENGINE CODES. No25 - Weak Air Fuel ratio no longer showing. Yippee!!

Now can't wait until can get back on those French Roads to see if the stutter under load and on Kickdown has finally been sorted. 

I've alway been prepared to spend what is needed to keep the Car in good shape as it is a rather subdued Status symbol being so rare. Prices I doubt will rise greatly and all cars over 100k mileage will need copious parts replaced. Still it beats depreciation on a New Car and if the Engine is FAA Certified then show me an alternative Car with such a prestige statement. 

Come better weather may attack the Driving seat and replace the heat pad. Also fit a pull up rear Screen Blind. 

The 4.3" Reversing Camera l located on the Speaker Cover needs a screen shade and something sold for a Hubson Quadcopter may just do the trick to make viewing in the r/view Mirror that much better?  Tinkering - but thats lockdown for you!

Only wish I wasn't having to buy Chinoiserie, but thats really all thats available.  Government needs to up the Import tax considerably. How can something I buy be manufactured, travel by Container and be delivered to my door step by the Royal Mail and only cost me 99p ?

Oh, and forget Huawei as we are likely going back to the Post War period - almost - Who needs 5G ? I certainly don't ! Enough ranting!

Great Posts Malc and Stewart.

Have look at this as one of its central themes is keep what you have !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVFJUxeGFAE 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

Bosses unhappy at lack of support for hydrogen buses

696F65AF-1845-4F9E-93C6-08648940BA15.png

Thanks Roger.

I understand that Hydrogen powered vehicles are Japan`s next major vehicle initiative.

Watch that space !!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

Thanks Roger.

I understand that Hydrogen powered vehicles are Japan`s next major vehicle initiative.

Watch that space !!

You are right John, although there are particular reasons for that. However the biggest challenge faced by hydrogen,  is storage, both on site and in the vehicle, and there is possibly a game changer  in USA, whereby they have developed a sponge like concept which can store a huge increase against current amounts. Like anything else, early days and good as it is, as clearly is hydrogen power, I think it will be for future generations.  I liked your video, and the message, and strangely I assess my car in 3 year cycles, expecting at the end of the cycle to have to replace it.......but when I reach that point I look at the car, consider all the facts and conclude nothing is really different from 3 years previous. I spend what is necessary, which has only been tyres, brakes servicing etc. and off I go for another 3 years, and long may it continue. I think generally the Lexus range is pretty timeless and as I am not ‘status ‘ conscious about my car all the other factors like comfort, reliability, safety etc , which are important,  are still there. I do not think that the car industry generally have understood what is about to hit them....look at Aston Martin’s perilous situation today. Cheers, Roger

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RgrWynne said:

I assess my car in 3 year cycles,

that's brilliant and I think a lot of people do that too .......  I gave that up about 17 years ago, 3 years into my first Ls400 .......  and as an ex car dealer and a usual skinflint :wink3: I think I know the financial benefits of running with these amazing cars, rather than any other marque, whatever the immediate bills that might come our way .... and I did have my alternator to replace the other month too :unsure:

Such unreliability and after only 24 years and 225k miles .......  can't trust anything these days 😲

Malc

• Like 2