Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cam belt and water pump change

vere peters

10 minutes ago, vere peters said:

Hi how much would the cam belt and water pump change cost at a dealer? I am about to purchase an SC430 

I'm just about to consider mine.  Some main dealers do a fixed price on older models but that doesn't include the water pump which should be changed at the same time.  A decent Gates kit can be bought for around £200 with the pump, and a competent mechanic should fit it for £150-200, that's what I've been quoted and it's the same engine as the SC.

Just checked and I'm quoted £150 labour!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vere peters said:

Thanks guys, so a main dealer would probably charge about £900?

Yes, that’s about the going rate from Lexus but it is always worth phoning a few local dealers for prices.

• Like 1

I've ordered a complete Gates kit with water pump for £180, I've booked it in with a local mechanic recommend to me by another member who is very knowledgeable regarding these cars and he's charging £150 so £330 for the whole job is fine with me.  Annoyingly though, it's only done 15k since the last replacement 10 years ago!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Annoyingly though, it's only done 15k since the last replacement 10 years ago!

Then get it out and use it more! :laughing:

I've posted in these forums in the past about my uncle who bought a brand new Hillman Minx and did less than 1,000 miles in the first 18 months I think it was. It even still had the factory-fitted protective seat covers on.

And then he died and the new owner got all the pleasure out of it!

We have one car that does everything from rubbish tip runs to supermarket runs to European driving holidays, and it gets used every day.

Maybe it's because I've never been rich and could never afford a 'weekend toy' car, I don't know, but surely the pleasure in owning a nice car is to drive it around and maybe even enjoy the admiring (and possibly covetous) looks from other people?

Rant over and sorry, honestly not having a pop at anyone, just genuinely can't understand the mentality and rationale of owning something so nice but never using it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Herbie said:

Then get it out and use it more! :laughing:

I've posted in these forums in the past about my uncle who bought a brand new Hillman Minx and did less than 1,000 miles in the first 18 months I think it was. It even still had the factory-fitted protective seat covers on.

And then he died and the new owner got all the pleasure out of it!

We have one car that does everything from rubbish tip runs to supermarket runs to European driving holidays, and it gets used every day.

Maybe it's because I've never been rich and could never afford a 'weekend toy' car, I don't know, but surely the pleasure in owning a nice car is to drive it around and maybe even enjoy the admiring (and possibly covetous) looks from other people?

Rant over and sorry, honestly not having a pop at anyone, just genuinely can't understand the mentality and rationale of owning something so nice but never using it.

Ah well, mine lived (until 2018) in Japan where they never seem to drive much, I've done 10k in less than two years in it.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, vere peters said:

Thanks guys, so a main dealer would probably charge about £900?

I have changed the cambelt plus water pump for my LS400 at Lexus Coventry for 465£ in January 2019. I would say it is worth asking the dealer to give you a quote.

43 minutes ago, mehighfuss said:

I have changed the cambelt plus water pump for my LS400 at Lexus Coventry for 465£ in January 2019. I would say it is worth asking the dealer to give you a quote.

Was that price including the parts Mihai? If so  I’m guessing just the water pump and belt but not the idlers and tensioner.

32 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

Was that price including the parts Mihai? If so  I’m guessing just the water pump and belt but not the idlers and tensioner.

It included the belt and the water pump(plus full coolant flush) only. The idlers/tensioner seemed to be in pretty good condition so I didn't replaced them. I think it is worth mentioning also that this price included the 15% parts and labour discount as being a LOC member.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1