Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

In my quest to address things that have been on the 'to do' list for a while - and waiting for engine parts to arrive - I removed both rocker panels to find a heck of amount of muck and very battered jacking points. Some of which is my fault, I remember 'kerbing' the passenger side sill in a multi-story back in November, but it looks like it wasn't the only time this happened.

Plan is to:

Straighten the mangled panels out
wire brush and paint / treat with the rust paint/ waxoyl
Wash down the panels
hot glue any of the sponge that's coming loose
Replace the sponge strips running the length of the panel.

Doe anyone have any tips on how to straighten everything out? Do I just get a hammer and go for it with a bit of wood?

On a side note - check how corroded one of the screws was.

IMG_0619.thumb.jpg.d8457c3ee94df05d6bd0f9395b106060.jpgIMG_9852.thumb.jpg.2a3e910485612cac6fe7e9ee788ca5b4.jpgIMG_9620.thumb.jpg.7e21ea9cd30621a9873f1895a615e4b2.jpgIMG_5791.thumb.jpg.8df3ec834ca8c609f81baa665d005b8d.jpgIMG_7887.thumb.jpg.1fdeef12309862eb0cf1a16db674b20a.jpgIMG_2616.thumb.jpg.39433a48f504e6c2728534f164209331.jpgIMG_5901.thumb.jpg.97783d1e0ddca9ac34b99cdb46fdffc0.jpgIMG_7497.thumb.jpg.7f22f1734420d58cb950833f4770a501.jpg

10 hours ago, The-Acre said:

Did your car have a previous life near the sea?

Looking through the service history: 

from new > 2008 : Bristol
2008 > 2015 : Cardiff
2015 > 2016: Birmingham
2016 > 2019: Leicester
2019 > present: Northamptonshire

but in the UK nowhere is further than 60 miles from the sea .....  those salty sea breezes sure can play havoc ........  I jest :wink3:

Mine's always lived close to or right alongside the sea, 9 years now in my ownership anyway, then Bournemouth before that ( maybe even Poole as that is ever so upmarket they tell me )

but of course I might have some hidden rusty screws that I'm never going to get to see/sea

Malc

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, PeterTorbet said:

Looking through the service history: 

from new > 2008 : Bristol
2008 > 2015 : Cardiff
2015 > 2016: Birmingham
2016 > 2019: Leicester
2019 > present: Northamptonshire

Much of its life as far away from the sea as you can get!  Poxy road salt then!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The-Acre said:

Much of its life as far away from the sea as you can get!  Poxy road salt then!

It seems that the minute a seal or cover is a bit loose there's no stopping muck / salt / rust. (Really enjoying this strip / clean / re-assemble btw)

I have the same job to do on my Celsior, a fellow member supplied the required fixing clip details which I ordered and arrived a few weeks ago.

My sill edge is also bent due to, I suspect, poor lift arm positioning at the MOT.

39 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

My sill edge is also bent

I straightened mine using an adjustable spanner starting from the least bent bit on the outside and worked my way to the middle of the bent section gradually closing the jaws as it straightened. If that makes sense. The adjustable spanner has flat straight jaws, I thought this was better than using curved adjustable pipe spanners or mole grips.

• Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links