Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

ISF/RCF Practicality

Hi everyone, hope you're all well.

I was looking at at IS300's earlier in the year, but put it hold for various reasons.

I'm now strongly considering an ISF/RCF instead.  

TBH I like the look of both cars. The advantage of the RCF is I can get a slightly newer one as obviously after 2013 no more ISF's were produced over here. Downside is less rear space and only 2 doors - doors not a big issue for me at all, would rather slight bit of hassle and get the car I really want.

Boot capacity looks similar.

I'm divorced and would sometimes be using the car for weekends away with my 4 year old daughter. Plenty of room for now, but if camping and a future girlfriend is with us, could get a bit cramped.

Is there a big difference beyond that in practicality?

ISF's really holding their price at the moment.

I suppose could always get roof bars if ever needed. Shame there isn't a touring/estate version.  Currently have a standard Civic, which is pretty practical and useable boot/rear space. Shame the Type R's look so extreme... and of course don;t have the incredible sounding V8's.

Cheers

1 hour ago, B80 said:

Hi everyone, hope you're all well.

I was looking at at IS300's earlier in the year, but put it hold for various reasons.

I'm now strongly considering an ISF/RCF instead.  

TBH I like the look of both cars. The advantage of the RCF is I can get a slightly newer one as obviously after 2013 no more ISF's were produced over here. Downside is less rear space and only 2 doors - doors not a big issue for me at all, would rather slight bit of hassle and get the car I really want.

Boot capacity looks similar.

I'm divorced and would sometimes be using the car for weekends away with my 4 year old daughter. Plenty of room for now, but if camping and a future girlfriend is with us, could get a bit cramped.

Is there a big difference beyond that in practicality?

ISF's really holding their price at the moment.

I suppose could always get roof bars if ever needed. Shame there isn't a touring/estate version.  Currently have a standard Civic, which is pretty practical and useable boot/rear space. Shame the Type R's look so extreme... and of course don;t have the incredible sounding V8's.

Cheers

Hi Mark.

I've owned both an IS-F and an RC-F.

Not trying to push you in one direction, but I found the RC-F had plenty of space in the back. My daughter (11 at the time I owned an RC-F) fitted in the back no problem at all. The RC-F is pretty flexible.

From what I remember, the IS-F was no better than the RC-F regarding rear space...... maybe worse.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Agree with Flytvr, although i have never owned a ISF, only a RC-F, I think you may be also asking a impossible question to answer, in my option it will depend more on the hight of the person driving and the passenger in the back, i am 6'2, so to drive the RC-F comfortably i had the drivers seat nearly all the way back making it impossible for anyone to sit behind me. as for anyone sitting in the back of a RC-F it would be there hight which would cause a problem and not necessary  there age, and even then it would be there torso hight and not there overall hight, the back of the RC-F slopes down very quickly so head hight is low.

Hello chaps and thanks for the responses.

I'm 6"1 although I like to claim 6"2 in heels.  My daughter is around 115cm, so tall for her age, but I think it'll be many years before I have to worry about her height being an issue.

I did actually sit in an RC300 earlier in the year and I was amazed at how spacious it was. In fact there was room for the salesman to sit behind me when I tested how far I could get away with the seat going back - I'd probably push it back further if no one was behind me, but doesn't 'have' to be all the way back.

Just have to be honest and reasonable with what the intended use will be. Otherwise we'd all be driving around in camper vans if looking to cover every eventuality/practicality. 

This will be only car in house hold, so that has to be considered. Apart from the odd trip to the tip, I never really haul load of equipment or stuff around.

Trying to talk myself into the RCF I think 😄

I've had an ISF, and currently have an RC300h. Just me and the wife and we have two grandchildren, ages 4 and 2, both using child seats. The 'problem' with these is that their legs stick out straight at this age. A previous poster with an 11 year old and longer legs will be able to use the footwell. Having said that, no real problems in either car, but something to bear in mind.

Both boots about the same size, but a major disadvantage with the ISF is that the rear seats do not go down, making it awkward to transport large items. The backrests in the RC, do fold down, 60/40. If an only car, a useful feature. 

There is next to no storage space in the RC. Glovebox, door pockets are abysmal, centre console a fraction better!

Lovely cars though, so your choice!

33 minutes ago, PRT68 said:

Both boots about the same size, but a major disadvantage with the ISF is that the rear seats do not go down, making it awkward to transport large items. The backrests in the RC, do fold down, 60/40. If an only car, a useful feature. 

RC-F do not fold down. Assume it is to do with extra bracing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RC-F Can easily carry 3 adults as the rear passenger can sit behind the front passenger.

Boot is a great size volume wise but the opening is quite small - identical to an IS3 I think. 

Suitcases no problem.

A downside you might find in car parks if an only car is the doors are quite long and they open behind the seat. 

Getting in and out the rear is a slow process, I would not want to be stuck back there after an accident.

Seems to be a GSF would be best of both worlds for you? Back doors and a larger boot?

I use my RCF as my daily driver, after owning an ISF for 5 yrs. Boot space for me on both has been adequate, occasionally I shoehorn loads of stuff in there and yes, the split rear is handy. Agree that legroom in both is pretty similar, depends if you want 4 doors or not. 

Had my 1.9 meter son in the front passenger seat and his girlfriend in the back behind him quite comfortably for several long trips. 

Yes, the doors are bigger than an ISF but I’ve not had any problems getting in and out in parking spaces and I’m not svelte.

Would I rather have the ISF? No - I think driving the RCF is more of an occasion in IMHO and whilst it’s a bit bigger I think it’s a great all round car. I don’t need the seat capacity of a GSF so I’d rather have a car that’s more of an occasion to drive. 

I get it serviced by Lexus Cheltenham, a bit further away for me, tho a nice drive and they do great service at a nice that compared to the other dealers in reach for me that more than compensates for a bit more petrol.

• Like 1

interesting stuff.  I'm open minded towards which F at this stage. GSF would be thrown into the mix if I saw one for sale in my range. Mid 25-30k is all I want to spend. I'm in no rush, particularly with all the uncertainty around the economy - which I imagine is more likely to lead to cheaper cars available, although not sure how much it will effect rare F cars.

If I recall correctly, think there may have been a blue/purple 2016 GSF up for sale in the mid 30's a month or two back on auto trader.

The 2 doors thing really don;t bother me at all, I'm a fitness freak, so lower cars, 2 doors or any slight awkwardness helping daughter into seat is way down my list of priorities/concerns when deciding which car to go for. 

From what I've heard from you guys, sounds like GSF or RCF would be better for my needs out of the 3 so far. Not sure how big and wallowy GSF is compared to the other 2. Looking at all 3 car weights, doesn;t look like much in it tbh.

Just noticed warranty is only £995 for 2 years, seems incredible value compared to German equivalents. I know Lexus have great rep for reliability, but without digging too far I imagine something like a gear box failure can run well into 5 figures as they're 70k cars new. Makes me even more certain to go for one of these now. Peace of mind and long term reliability is one of my priorities when choosing a car, particularly as it will probably be 5 odd year old car I buy and hold for long time. 5 year old RS4 Avant is now in price range but my perception of their reliability and potential maintenance costs aren't great.

1 hour ago, B80 said:

interesting stuff.  I'm open minded towards which F at this stage. GSF would be thrown into the mix if I saw one for sale in my range. Mid 25-30k is all I want to spend. I'm in no rush, particularly with all the uncertainty around the economy - which I imagine is more likely to lead to cheaper cars available, although not sure how much it will effect rare F cars.

If I recall correctly, think there may have been a blue/purple 2016 GSF up for sale in the mid 30's a month or two back on auto trader.

The 2 doors thing really don;t bother me at all, I'm a fitness freak, so lower cars, 2 doors or any slight awkwardness helping daughter into seat is way down my list of priorities/concerns when deciding which car to go for. 

From what I've heard from you guys, sounds like GSF or RCF would be better for my needs out of the 3 so far. Not sure how big and wallowy GSF is compared to the other 2. Looking at all 3 car weights, doesn;t look like much in it tbh.

Just noticed warranty is only £995 for 2 years, seems incredible value compared to German equivalents. I know Lexus have great rep for reliability, but without digging too far I imagine something like a gear box failure can run well into 5 figures as they're 70k cars new. Makes me even more certain to go for one of these now. Peace of mind and long term reliability is one of my priorities when choosing a car, particularly as it will probably be 5 odd year old car I buy and hold for long time. 5 year old RS4 Avant is now in price range but my perception of their reliability and potential maintenance costs aren't great.

There is a nicely specced blue RCF for sale privately on AutoTrader for around £26K, looks to have a decent service record too.

As you say the warranty is 'cheap' and by all accounts very good value compared to other marques official warranty. Servicing costs aren't bad either with a major service costing about £600 and the standard about £300.

I had no reservations about buying one with all the toys as I had, and still have full confidence in the quality of the components. So far I believe Lexus stand by their products unlike a few German marques I've had where obvious design/manufacturing faults are left for the owner to pay for when they fail.

3 hours ago, B80 said:

I don’t recall a 16 plate blue GSF for sale ( I have a sad habit of looking for GSFs on AT on a daily basis 🤦🏽‍♂️) but there was a 17 plate blue GSF that was hanging around the classified for a while at around the £37000 mark. Someone on here placed a deposit on it but then pulled out as the car had no service history and appeared to have some questionable paint work repair on the front and back. 

A member on here mentioned that they saw a 16 plate GSF advertised for £30k last year. I must have missed that one as the cheapest I’ve seen a 16 plate advertised is £34000 at Synter Select around this time last year. I very nearly moved on this but it wasn’t quite the right time. 

Prices for a GSF seem to be stagnant at the moment, if one comes up, which is currently fairly rare. Supply and demand I guess with only around 70 odd registered. 

Unfortunately I have never had the pleasure of driving a RCF or ISF.  I can say that the GSF is far from wallowy and handles very well. I came from an ‘11 IS250 and the GSF is far more spacious as it’s foot print would suggest, but doesn’t feel any bigger when behind the wheel. 

I’m a big fan of the Honda Civic Type R but could never live with the looks. Interestingly I’ve seen that they are going to release a toned down version, styling wise, with a more subtle rear spoiler.... still no V8 though! 

Good luck in your search. A very nice position to be in👍🏾

Yes sorry, the GSF you've described sounds like the one - couldn;t recall exact details. 2 massive red flags then with that vehicle. Amazing that people purchase a 70k car and don't bother with servicing it! Seems crazy to me.

Prices for the GSF seem similar ball park, if only 70 odd registered may take a while for one to appear. Thats another appeal for me with a Lexus F car, you barely see any of them about.

Yeah was probably a silly statement mentioning it being 'wallowy' baring in mind its a sports tuned vehicle. Heard a few reviewers mention the RCF and ISF suspension setups are too hard if anything, whereas others say perfectly usable as daily driver on typical roads. I've got no issue with harder setups, obviously will test drive first to be 100%.

The Civic Type R sport line is due to be released later this year. They ditch the red driver seats and a lot of red styling trim, alloys smaller (and grey instead of black, I think), smaller spoiler on the back - same performance though. They get great reviews in most places. Still one of the more appealing choices as tick so many boxes for me, shame about over the top looks, part of me thinks I could forgive the boy racer-ish looks for the performance, but not sure I want to risk it (rear looks crap still imo even without the massive spoiler). Bad as it is don't want to feel even slightly self concious/embarrassed getting out of something I've spent good money on. I've been watching their prices over the past couple of years and the first fk8's are creeping down to mid twenties (no corona effect on them yet). ,

Albeit slightly older and more expensive to run, when you can get F car for similar price it seems an easy one to call at present. No doubt the 4 cylinder turbos are great for real world driving, but Imagine the v8 engine noise really adds to the occasion and makes up for not having immense torque right through the rev range. I've been watching some youtube videos on unmodified F cars and they sound incredible, really get the blood pumping 😄 

Never owned a performance car before, my ex wifes 200bhp TT and an 07 Golf GTD are the pinnacles of my driving experiences so far.  Imagine v8's are going to become harder and harder to come by over the next decade, so will be great to experience a large NA engine whilst they're still about.

The ride in the GSF is very good. Our ‘17 plate was the first year with Adaptive Variable Suspension (AVS)  and it’s as comfortable as our 11 IS250 SE-L was. 
Having said that, I don’t seem to recall anyone  saying that the GSF ride was too uncomfortable as a daily drive, even without the AVS on the ‘65 and ‘16 plate cars. 

I agree, the NA V8 is a dying breed. Best to own one now before we are all forced to go electric 😂. Starting the F up in the morning always puts a smile on my face. 

Is being noticed important to you? If so, an RC-F gathers much attention, whilst the IS-F is stealthy.

The only downside of the RC-F is not easily fitting my road bike in the backseat. The IS-F could swallow a large bike easily, whilst it needs to go on the roof of the RC-F

I’ve had my ISF for 5 years and never spent a penny on it other than servicing, I’ve a friend who owns both ISF and GSF, his preference is his GSF (from new) BUT he said the ISF felt more lively as smaller, he said the GSF is a better ride quality but ISF is more fun (his words) I’ve not driven a GSF but I’ve been in his on numerous occasions and the ride is far better, the level of refinement is way above the ISF which is to be expected, me personally I didn’t like the dashboard of both newer cars. I don’t particularly like any new car dash, don’t like the “shelf look”......RCF will get u noticed, again on a personal note I like the “not noticed” effect, I like the fact that my car will be there in the morning 😉......whatever u choose I’m sure u will be over the moon with, I’d come back here with potential purchases as there are a couple of unsavoury cars about......everyone on here will be more than happy to share any information about the potential car if it’s known. Good luck. 
Paul

• 1 month later...

this has just gone up near to me

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202007081008180?advert-type=dealer-stock&fromDealerProfile=true&dpp=10002790&advertising-location=at_cars

Just under 29k. 13 plate so one of the last ones

Prices seem to have inflated on ISF's past month or so. Wonder if worth waiting it out more.