Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

For those that missed it the first time round "me included" Wheeler dealers are refurbishing a Lexus on TV tonight after midnight on channel 13 freeview. I do not know what model, but it may be of interest to many LOC members.

John.

19 minutes ago, Britprius said:

For those that missed it the first time round "me included" Wheeler dealers are refurbishing a Lexus on TV tonight after midnight on channel 13 freeview. I do not know what model, but it may be of interest to many LOC members.

John.

It is a 1993 LS 400. Been on several times previously.An interesting viewing for us Lexus owners.

Typical Brewer...buys cheap, then gives it away.

2 minutes ago, royoftherovers said:

It is a 1993 LS 400. Been on several times previously.An interesting viewing for us Lexus owners.

Typical Brewer...buys cheap, then gives it away.

Thanks John. I thought it would probably be an LS, but I shall watch with interest.

John.

• Like 1

I watched that same one again just a few days ago too on WD ..........  there's a lot of repeat stuff right now .....  but it's good even thought the wheels they used were 'orrible:unsure:

Malc

• Like 2

“So you’ve replaced the timing belt, idlers, tensioner and water pump along with a full transmission rebuild, new starter motor and a full paint job today then ED” 😀

• Haha 1

I hadn't seen the episode before - I guess it might be unfair to judge the programme from here - it was recorded 14 years ago - but why, oh why do they have to mess with the cars they are so-called restoring - fitting tacky wheels and gadgets for example - in other episodes Brewer complains about such things fitted to the cars he buys.

I make a point of looking up the subsequent MoT history of the cars featured. You would think that the restoration would get the car to a point where it got a clean MoT but no (and it's typical). It did pass in 2006 but with advisories and was clean in 2007. Next MoT was a failure in 2009, with a pass with advisories a month later. And that was it - no more MoT history. And that's pretty typical of WDs cars - they go to a sector of the motoring public who buy a cheap car, spend absolutely nothing on it - not even an oil change - then chuck it away. This LS400 did apparently cover some miles before the chuck away, although the MoT in 2007 said 'no odometer'. Strange!

Very often the car featured in the prog does about 3000 miles in about 3-4 years subsequently then disappears. Hardly worth all Edd's efforts!

Usually (with exceptions) the 'enthusiast's mint car' doesn't fare much better, either!

PS - one lesson (already well known here) from the LS400 - cheap replacement suspension parts are a waste of money - the new upper suspension arms Edd fitted were the subject of advisories, maybe even the MoT failure, by 2009!

• Like 3

That XK jag they 'did up' and then subsequently gave away in a competition never was on the road for long ( according to DVLA records anyway). Even so it is easy to watch ( and pick holes in!) but I'm watching more YooToob restoration Vids than Telly at this moment in time anyway! Honda CBX, Ford Cortina MKIII, ( Not Asia produced crap whereby they reverse 'fix' an Amstrad Stereo they 'find' on a river bank that was sprayed in muriatic acid the day before!) The CBX restore ( not complete yet and upto part 42!) is by a German guy ( YouTube Channel." ZAMsChannel " ) and I cannot understand a word he speaks but fascinating to watch, highly reccomended but your Mrs will not understand why you are watching a program that you can't understand.

paul m.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, royoftherovers said:

The LS 400 is on again at noon today on Channel 12 Freeview.

The viewing choices we have today with digital TV...200 channels of repeated repeats and forever increasing periods of promotions and adverts 😀

• Like 1

Even the "mint" car enthusiasts car has not been MOT'd since feb 2013.

Part of the refurb was the fitting of a HID conversion kit that was, and still is illegal.

John.

19 minutes ago, steve2006 said:

The viewing choices we have today with digital TV...200 channels of repeated repeats and forever increasing periods of promotions and adverts 😀

Same for many of us Steve. The operative word in my post was "again"

It`s why so many viewers are deserting the terrestrial channels and going to Streaming I suppose.

13 minutes ago, Britprius said:

Even the "mint" car enthusiasts car has not been MOT'd since feb 2013.

Part of the refurb was the fitting of a HID conversion kit that was, and still is illegal.

John.

I viewed this earlier John and a central theme was to keep what vehicle you have, maintain it and save the Planet more than you would if you bought a new car--electric or otherwise !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVFJUxeGFAE