Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

RX300 2001 - lights, system and hidden menus, and keys

Hi all. 

A new member with a new (old) car. I have never had a Lexus before, so I am leaning as much as I can about it. Its a 4x4 version, I do know that (I saw the prop shaft for the back wheels). Bought it a few days ago, but it has an issue of the VSC and the engine light staying on all the time. When I bought it, the lights were not on, but acceleration seems to have turned them on. I don't have an OBD reader (never had one, never used one), so I have no way of knowing the error codes. I was wondering if these were visible from hidden menus on the display? The lights being on doesn't seem to affect the performance as far as I can tell. 

The other question, is it possible to access the hidden menus anyway? Can I change other settings, such as the opening of windows from the key fob etc? It seems all of this has been disabled by someone, but according to the book it should do it.

I have tried the online ways of getting into the menus, but can't make it work, maybe because mine is the version with colour screen, CD changer but no sat nav. I tried the tapping on the left of the screen in a particular order as seen on many Youtube videos, and the four corner one also, but nothing at all. Any help anyone? I like knowing all the tricks and capabilities of any car I buy! 

Also, anybody got any thoughts on keys? The car came with one working key, and another just the shank, as the plastic has all broken and is not there. Can I buy a second hand key, and put this shank into it and reprogram? It is a two button key. 

Thanks to all

Siddie.

Welcome Siddie

Unfortunately I don't believe there is a way to see the engine ECU error codes without using an ODBII tool.

The most simplest of tools to use would be something like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Foseal-Reader-Scanner-Display-Screen/dp/B07RQCP5PY/ref=pd_sbs_60_1/261-0266801-2814428?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07RQCP5PY&pd_rd_r=c1704375-01f0-4a64-a5fa-e54e55fb2f8d&pd_rd_w=nHuFm&pd_rd_wg=QJCHf&pf_rd_p=2773aa8e-42c5-4dbe-bda8-5cdf226aa078&pf_rd_r=60672HJKDY9RX2YZY1D5&psc=1&refRID=60672HJKDY9RX2YZY1D5

The menus you can get to from the LCD screen are for the information system - it won't help with engine codes unfortunately. There is also a method to flash codes but that only related to the body ECU which controls electric windows etc.

• Like 1

I would also - generally - use the forum search facility, which is brilliant.

When I bought my car, I read every RX300 post I could find!

Found lots of nuggets!