Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

2006 LS430 Brake pad springs?

BMCWP

I have a clicking sound in the brakes that my mechanic says is caused by the pads moving slightly as the retaining "springs" seem a bit worn and would need replacing - can anyone point me in the direction of where I might get a set of these? (might as well do front and rear as they are all the same age) I assume they may have been damaged at some point or have indeed simply got to the point they no longer function but after a bit of a google I can't seem to find them (mind you my brain is not functioning anyway) 🙂

seemingly they are not fixable (I can only go by what I am told) the part number is 47748-50020 known as the "Anti-Rattle spring" but I can only see them on US websites not here ?

p4.jpg

according to their facebook page they are not taking any orders at the moment - I'll keep looking worse case I can order from the states and at least the car is still driving (just has that silly annoying click) 

I sent Paul a message hopefully he might have something - the rear part number is 47748-50030 and I can get them from the states but the postage is going to be more than the items 😕 I normally would leave it especially now during this pandemic thing however I am doing hospital runs and I would rather do the nearly 3 hour return journey in a bit of comfort instead of the other family car that is used as a shopping cart 🙂

• Like 2

There’s nothing coming out of the UAE at the moment so Japan is the only Amayama option. Same here with the shipping cost!

Does seem a little strange that these are causing the problem given they are stainless steel.

E21C1CFD-BB87-4B60-BC90-397E5FFF48C7.png

I can only assume that some damage was caused to them but I can only go by what I am told unfortunately - anyway the US site I looked at turned out to have horrendous reviews so I am now looking at either That site you mentioned or some from a scrapped car (which will be difficult as most of them seem to be closed) or contacting Lexus/Toyota UK tomorrow and see what they have.  The Japanese site price is half the previously mentioned US one so if I can't find them in the UK that's the direction it looks like I am heading. 

Any Lexus dealer can get those parts. I thought lexuspartsdirect were now taking and shipping orders as of a week ago.

Not sure they will actually fix your issue though - there is nothing to go wrong with these springs, and can easily be bent to provide a bit more force.

Is the noise a rattle, or just a clunk as you change direction when reversing where the pads move and hit the side of the calliper?

Just the clunk or click when braking sometimes forward sometimes in reverse - I'll ask my mechanic tomorrow did he try bending them as he may have thought they would not bend and possibly break (just a guess) 

If it is end to end movement that happens with you are breaking going slowly forwards and then backwards I don't think the clips help with that, they are there to stop up/down and sideways rattling against the disc.

A bit of brake grease on the ends of the pads can help, otherwise the end of the pads or callipers have worn so there is a greater movement which produces the clunk.

It looks like Big Redd are in the process of producing a complete calliper fixing kit containing all the required parts, including the pad end inserts. It may be worth contacting them to see when they will be available. They will certainly be cheaper than Lexus for the complete kit.

50929473-DA5A-4E2A-BC29-F3867D55E782.png

I'm taking it back in again on Wednesday for another look before ordering anything and will have a go at bending them in - might as well try that and see 🙂

There should be some stainless steel inserts that fit into the carrier and then the pad edges fit into, make sure these are greased up while you have it in the garage.

• Like 1

So....   A bit like going to the dentist with toothache really. The magic Lexus fairies have been and there is not a noise out of it now and we didn't do anything :huh: I can only assume either the inspection we did the other day or the 150 mile round trip I had to do on Wednesday "bedded in" the brakes - so the old adage applies "if it ain't broke"
Fingers crossed it stays that way but for now its time to work on the other little jobs that need doing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BMCWP said:

So....   A bit like going to the dentist with toothache really. The magic Lexus fairies have been and there is not a noise out of it now and we didn't do anything :huh: I can only assume either the inspection we did the other day or the 150 mile round trip I had to do on Wednesday "bedded in" the brakes - so the old adage applies "if it ain't broke"
Fingers crossed it stays that way but for now its time to work on the other little jobs that need doing. 

That must be the same magic and benevolent fairy that fixed the slight noise from my soft door closer!  

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up on this I decided to stick new pads in and replace the springs all in one go and discovered that very few UK dealers sell the pads with the hardware kit. Of the 3 I contacted via email only one bothered to email me back to say he did not have the kits nor could he get them! 
5 minutes on rockauto and not only do they have brake pad kits with the hardware they also sell the illusive springs as well from £5 up. 
I was able to purchase a full set for the car with springs and even sent via FedEx the cost was roughly the same that some here wanted just for the pads. 

So, provided her majesty's finest customs don't nick the parcel (which should not happen as duty has been prepaid) I should have the bits by tomorrow or Monday. 

• Like 1

Would you believe they landed this afternoon 😵 so that's 2 days for delivery - I've waited longer for local parts! Lesson learned when ordering from the states, use FedEx 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BMCWP said:

Would you believe they landed this afternoon 😵 so that's 2 days for delivery - I've waited longer for local parts! Lesson learned when ordering from the states, use FedEx 🙂

The service using FedEx is really exceptional.  I ordered my anti roll bar bushes from Rockauto using FedEx but I chose the cheaper and slightly slower option, but they still arrived in the UK in around 3 days, it was only the weekend that stopped them being delivered straight away.  They still arrived on Monday.  Did you get your fridge magnet?

2 hours ago, The-Acre said:

The service using FedEx is really exceptional.  I ordered my anti roll bar bushes from Rockauto using FedEx but I chose the cheaper and slightly slower option, but they still arrived in the UK in around 3 days, it was only the weekend that stopped them being delivered straight away.  They still arrived on Monday.  Did you get your fridge magnet?

Yes - I got one in the last order as well 🙂

I think when I ordered the trim parts as I was not really in a rush for them I just used the cheaper option but on reflection I should have just took the FedEx as it would have been a few quid cheaper and a week quicker. 

next on my hit list is the radiator just have to work out which one to choose 😕 

11 minutes ago, BMCWP said:

Yes - I got one in the last order as well 🙂

I think when I ordered the trim parts as I was not really in a rush for them I just used the cheaper option but on reflection I should have just took the FedEx as it would have been a few quid cheaper and a week quicker. 

next on my hit list is the radiator just have to work out which one to choose 😕 

Be careful if you buy a radiator from the US, they have a different setup which is the same as my Celsior.  On the US setup the coolant reservoir is at the front, connected to the radiator itself.

Same here with FX ordered Friday, weekend and UK Bank Holiday Monday on the doorstep by 1.30 pm Tuesday.

Rockauto are very quick on dispatch I got an email within an hour telling me the order had been processed then further updates regarding shipping.

Efficiency is top notch in the USA, you only have to compare queue movement between their Theme Parks and the likes of Alton Tower’s to realise it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 1:06 PM, cruisermark said:

Just for future reference - Lexus Parts Direct have these on their website

Yes they do - at £45.44 for the front and £47.74 for the rear 😵

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links