Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Another question please

I wonder if anyone can help me with this one please.

Is there any way that I can improve the wi-fi at home so that when we are out in the garden in the summerhouse we can get a good signal.

Many thanks.

You could try a wifi repeater, which is a single device that plugs into the mains in the area of the weak wifi signal then picks up the weak signal, amplifies it and radiates it out again.

Something like this TP-Link one from Amazon

However, you'll probably have greater success with wifi powerline adapters, such as the TP-Link one below, again at Amazon:

TP-Link wifi powerline adapter starter kit

These powerline adapters work by plugging one into the mains near the router and also connecting it to the router itself by an ethernet cable. The other one of the pair would be plugged into the mains in the summerhouse. The 'Internet signal' would be sent along the mains power wiring from the router to the summerhouse and then becomes wifi again from there.

The only caveat is that the signal can't pass through any surge protection; other than that they work well.

• Like 1

Good answer above. We have a simple plug in extender, £20 from currys. 

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/wifi-range-extenders/bt-essential-300-wifi-range-extender-n300-single-band-10153164-pdt.html

We have it in the annex and it works fine. 

Thanks chaps for your valued input.

Herbs, when you mentioned TP-Link in your post, that immediately rang a bell with me.  I shot up into the loft and found my box of bits (stuff that 'I might just need in the future') and I found two TL-PA4010 TP-Link units.  These are donkeys years old and there is no manual or software with them and no cables either but, the slots just seem like phone connectors which I have a couple of in the garage.  However, I'm a little confused in that I can recall plugging one unit into the mains socket next to the router, then connecting it to the router with the phone cable.  I seem to remember that I then plugged the other unit into the mains socket next to my pc and then connected it to the pc with a phone cable and bobs your uncle.

However, my problem now is, whilst I can make the correct connection at the router end, when I plug the other TP-Link unit in in the summerhouse, it too has a phone socket which I can't, don't want to be, plugging anything into it, I am just wanting to increase the wi-fi signal so that phones and tablets can be used whilst out there.  This being the case, it would seem that your first link and that suggested by doog442 would be my best bet.  Am I right in thinking that?

Thanks again for your help.

2 minutes ago, bluenose1940 said:

This being the case, it would seem that your first link and that suggested by doog442 would be my best bet.  Am I right in thinking that?

Nothing wrong with that at all Geoff, certainly the cheapest option anyway.

Your old TP-Link stuff would do the job if you wanted to run a cabled connection (as indeed it used to) but it's obviously lacking the wifi.

It may be worth contacting your internet provider first: some will provide WiFi boosters for free. Virgin Media certainly do.
I recently got some from them - at their suggestion - and they came by courier within two days.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 10 Plus using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, doog442 said:

We have a simple plug in extender, £20 from currys.

me too a few years ago now and it seems to work through two floors, flights of stairs, but indoors only and limited outdoors for us at home

Malc

DanD said "It may be worth contacting your internet provider first: some will provide WiFi boosters for free. Virgin Media certainly do.
I recently got some from them - at their suggestion - and they came by courier within two days"

Thank you for your suggestion DanD, phoned Sky this morning, free booster should be with me by Wednesday.  Brilliant!

Thanks to all for your input.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links