Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I've been meaning to do this for ages.  I ordered some new polishing pads for my DA machine, and Maguire's compound, polish and wax.  Still hard work, and the photos don't do it justice but it certainly sparkles for a 17 year old.  Next week I'll be fitting the newly acquired wheels when the tyres arrive so I'll post some more photos then.

IMG_20200516_162147738.jpg

IMG_20200516_161415704.jpg

• Like 10

nice work Phil

Had you done it before?

I was worried about damaging the paint buffing it (with my heavy handed skills).

Why did you want to change your wheels?

14 minutes ago, skyway said:

nice work Phil

Had you done it before?

I was worried about damaging the paint buffing it (with my heavy handed skills).

Why did you want to change your wheels?

I haven't done it before with compound, it really got lots of the swirl marks out, I also used a clay bar recently. I think if you use a DA polisher and the correct pads it's fairly safe.  A new member put the wheels up for sale last week and I was considering slightly more modern ones anyway.  Although mine is a facelift it doesn't have the five spoke wheels, rather an in-between version of the two models.  They're ready to fit now, just waiting for new tyres on Wednesday.  The good thing is the original Toyota centre caps fit so I can keep it Toyota!

looks like you have done a stand up job Phil.

wanna show us your old wheels?

Mine are pealing and I just can't stand looking at them anymore so next weeks project is to start stripping and polishing them... then I think some clear coat.

WhatsApp Image 2020-05-18 at 18.42.26.jpeg

1 hour ago, skyway said:

I like the new.... but I also like your old ones

To be honest I never really liked the original wheels, the one good thing is there isn't much corrosion/flaking.  I've kept the originals in the garage as the Bridgestone tyres are fairly new but I can't see them going back on.  The Falken tyres from the "new" wheels are now planters for my tomatoes!

20 minutes ago, skyway said:

So.... Phil can we get a pic with your wheel on?

If you mean the new ones I posted a picture a few days ago.

I saw the one of the wheel but not on the car... maybe I missed a post.

silly question time

Do you think 17's will fit on a car with 18's on?