Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

dog in back seat?

harrylime

I'm thinking about buying an sc430. I have a female Labradoodle, not a particularly big dog. Can anyone advise whether there is enough space etc to allow her to travel comfortably in the back seat?

• Like 2

Yes it would be fine for a medium sized dog sat on the back seat. It's just not very good for humans as there's virtually no leg room unless the front seats are set forward.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, steve2006 said:

Did I read somewhere that dogs now have to be strapped in with an approved harness in a car or was I just dreaming it?

Only when driving.🤣

Edit - apparently rule 57 of the highway code says pets have to be suitably restrained to avoid distraction and injury. The SC430 has rear seat belts so that should be possible if the dog is in a secured harness or enclosure. 

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

We take our Spaniel on the back seat of our car and to save the leather etc. bought one of the dog car hammocks (lots available online) that cover the seat base, seat back, back of front seats and each side. It also came with a strap that plugs into the seat belt socket and onto our dog's harness ensuring the dog can move around on the back seat but is restrained properly in the event of anything unforeseen happening. Well worth the cost to save the back of the car from any claws and means less hoovering out too.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 7/26/2022 at 10:53 AM, gagara8 said:

Love traveling with my god across the country! Recently I bought a new Lexus so the problem with some coverage of the back seat for my dog appeared.Did anyone use it? 

There are lots available on the likes of amazon at varying levels of quality/price. Best search term is something like "dog hammock for car." We have had a few and they do a good job of saving the back seat from dirt, fur and claws - make sure you get one that has a leash to plug into the seat belt and onto the dog harness (don't put it on their collar - get a harness) and then the dog can't get to the front while you are driving and is safely restrained in case of an accident. Also some only unzip from one side, others from both sides so choose carefully if that matters to you. Others also can be configured to only take up half the back seat so you can carry a passenger too. Some also have a mesh front so the dog can see you - our dog likes that as he has seperation anxiety issues...! 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gagara8 said:

Love traveling with my god across the country!

Hi Michael

I feel the same as you that my God is aways travelling with me. 

Especially as last week I was touring around your neck of the woods.... the Durham area!

20220723_102213.thumb.jpg.45b076d9afae6e695e9dbe7a24d94f71.jpg20220721_163609.thumb.jpg.4e7554ca2a4fbc6a468d7a6a4151aa6b.jpg

• Haha 1

On 5/17/2020 at 2:17 PM, Neil E said:

Only when driving.🤣

Edit - apparently rule 57 of the highway code says pets have to be suitably restrained to avoid distraction and injury. The SC430 has rear seat belts so that should be possible if the dog is in a secured harness or enclosure. 

My mini schnauzer travels in the front anyone else in the back 😅. On YT there is an interesting video on the effectiveness of various harnesses in the event of an impact - worth a watch. 

• Like 1